Question Trim alarm/gauge pegs

2016 Merc 115 4S, 2B219754

Last couple times out I've had the solid tone alarm go off and my trim gauge peg full up at initial key on. Engine is not trimmed full up and the alarm goes off with key off, and if I run the engine up and down a few times the alarm doesn't come back on. Usually, that is the only time it has happened (initial key on) but once it happened halfway thru the day. Otherwise the trim works like it is supposed to.

To me it sounds like a short in the trim gauge wiring or a bad connection somewhere. A search on here turned up nothing so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

Any ideas why this is happening?
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

If the motor is still under warranty I would take it to a dealer , could be anything and if the alarm is going off the computer is seeing a problem .

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    If the motor is still under warranty I would take it to a dealer , could be anything and if the alarm is going off the computer is seeing a problem .
    +1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    It’s under warranty but I don’t want it to be in the shop for 2-3 weeks for something simple. I may give them a call.

One note though. I have a Vessel View Mobile on it and no codes are being thrown due to the alarm.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sending unit or wiring problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Sending unit or wiring problem.
    I checked the wiring that is visible but didn’t see anything bad. Since it’s intermittent I’ll need to do a wiggle test the next time it pops up.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you actually unplug and reconnect the trim sensor?

Of course, all of this is "assuming" that the trim is actually the fault occurring (there are dozens of other possibilities also).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Of course, all of this is "assuming" that the trim is actually the fault occurring (there are dozens of other possibilities also).
    No, I haven’t. I will do this tonight when I get home. I’ll check the line for corrosion as well. Haven’t had a chance to get the boat out lately. Next trip will be next weekend, I hope.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

Took the boat out Sunday. Started having trim gauge issues and alarms right off the bat. Went to the back and wiggled the trim sensor wires and the it stopped acting up. When I got home I raised the engine and looked at the wiring. Saw a spot that looked crushed so I pulled the conduit down. Found two places where the wiring had been crushed on two of the wires. In one spot the wires were flat and exposed but intact. In the second spot the wires were flat but the wires are broken inside the insulation. It appears that the there was a bit too much slack and the wiring harness was been caught between the pump and the engine. Taking it in to the dealer today to have it replaced under warranty.

My Vessel View Mobile showed me a code for it but said I had to "log in" to see it. Couldn't do that on the water so I tried when I got home. After logging in it still said I needed to log in. Don't recall what it was but I'll look at it again tonight.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Suggest you get this in to the dealer for inspection. May (potentially) be related to your previous trim system problem- either way, it should be covered under your Factory Warranty.

Suggest you get this in to the dealer for inspection. May (potentially) be related to your previous trim system problem- either way, it should be covered under your Factory Warranty.
    I took it to the closest authorized Mercury dealer. They looked at it and called Mercury who promptly denied warranty repair due to the pump being replaced last year. The stated reason was it was not a factory defect and was possibly caused by the pump replacement. So I took it to the dealer who did the work and, luckily, they repaired the wires at no cost to me (I could have done it myself as I have all the tools, splices and knowledge).
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret