201 Pro XL Mercury 200 EFI

Hello. I was playing with my setup and think I went too far. I have a 1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL, with a 2004 Mercury 200 EFI. I have 8 inches of setback, and I run a 25p Tempest+ that's just been rebuilt. Last fall, when it was cool and I was by myself, I got 65 mph at 5600 rpm. This was at 2.75 inches below pad on just the 5 1/2 inch plate. I wanted to get the RPM up a little closer to the 5750 recommended WOT so I added the extra 2 1/2 inches of setback over the winter. Yesterday, I played with the engine height some and raised it a little at a time making passes and recording speed. Each time I went up, I gained a little bit (tenths of a mph) of speed, and a few RPM. When I finally lost water pressure, I backed it down to the last setting where I still had good pressure and left it there. End result was 63.5 mph at 5600 (it was in the low 90's and I had 2 extra people on board with all their crap so I'm not surprised the numbers were a little lower than I normally get).

While testing, I noticed my speedometer wasn't working over 50 mph, but I was going by the GPS anyway. When I got home, I measured prop to pad. I used 3 different levels to verify, and measured many times to make sure because I couldn't believe I had it so high, but my prop was only 1.5 inches below pad. The speedometer likely quit working because I use the pickup on the lower unit, which at that height was out of the water. I didn't loose water pressure until I actually raised the Jack plate as far as it would go, then dropped it just a little and got it back. I run the Mercury water scoops on the lower unit, which allow you to run a little higher and maintain water pressure.

From what I've gathered, 3 inches to no lower than 2.5 inches below pad is normal on these hulls. So what gives? I kept gaining speed and rpm, although very little, each time I raised it. I know my water scoops allow me to raise the motor more than typical, but I was thinking I would loose speed if I went too far. I've backed it back down to 2 inches and I'm going to run it again tomorrow, but how high is safe? Where should I stop?

One last thing, here's a pic of the low water scoops in case anyone is scratching their heads trying to imagine what they are. Thanks!

1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    You can go as high as prop bite and water pressure will allow. Be aware that high P to P will let the prop blow out when cresting large waves,might be a problem.

3. Member
    Are you measuring the prop or the center of the prop shaft height. Prop shaft height is what you want to measure. When you have that much weight in it everything will change when you run it light.

mdtritn21, yes, measuring to center of prop shaft, and also to front center of bullet. Bottom of pad is 14 inches off the garage floor (also checked the floor to ensure level), and center of prop shaft was 12.5 inches off the floor, but I lowered it down to 2 inches for today. Took it out today and at 2 inches below pad I lost 1 mph, but my speedometer works again. I'm a little concerned about prop life running it that high, I sure don't want to sling a blade, but also want to get the most efficient set up possible.

5. Member
    That prop is bad try and find a known good one or have it brought back to factory spec because your slipping like hell even when it was at 2.75 under. That's a 3.0L 200 isn't it and it should push that boat 69-70. I'll bet after it's fixed it will run down at 2.5" under.

Prop is fresh back from the prop shop, had them put it back to factory. I'll keep playing with engine height to try to get my slip down. Thinking a hydraulic plate my be in order.

7. Member
    Yep some thing a miss , with that 3.0 L down draft motor . You should be hitting at least 70 gps. My 201 Pro with a 2.5 200 Hp runs around 65gps in the cooler month's with a 25P Tempest plus and 24p Bravo1 -61-62 with a load and i have a 6inch plate at 3.25 below pad .
    Plans on putting my 3.0L 2004 225 on it after i go thru it from a difference boat .

My 200 is actually a 2.5L. It is the downdraft EFI with the new style electronics and alternator though. I'm still playing with set up, it hit 65 easily enough in the winter with the 25p Tempest+, but my RPMs were a little low at 5600. I am working on getting a 24p Tempest+ as I think the 25 is just a tad too tall. I turn a 24p Trophy with ease, but it only hits 60 mph, with tons of slipping.

9. Member
    My be a tad high,drop down to 3.50 below pad.And rise a1/4 at atime.That down draft efi has more power than the old one ,s and carb motors

10. Member
    I agree with Ricky. Also look at reccomended rpms on motor, 5600 is good.

Took her out yesterday with a 24p Tempest+. I put it back to 2.75 inches and worked from there. If I went down any, (tried 3 inches below pad) I lost speed and RPM, going up increased RPM but did not noticeably increase speed. Water pressure remained steady at 22 psi either way. My motor likes the 24 a little better in this hot weather. I turned it to 5800 at 65 yesterday, at around 80 degrees. I think I have her about dialed in. Thanks!

12. Member
    Yep, in this heat the 24p is better.If you have the 25p fixed by a good prop guy you have a better summer prop.They are know to be off bad new out of the box. Mark C knows what to do with it.

13. Member
    24 and 26 tempests are the ones that are off out of the box usually the 25 is good to go. I'd bet the prop is off now that it's been fixed.

it 's a 2.5,in the picture,but they are a downdraft motorola motor
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Yep some thing a miss , with that 3.0 L down draft motor . You should be hitting at least 70 gps. My 201 Pro with a 2.5 200 Hp runs around 65gps in the cooler month's with a 25P Tempest plus and 24p Bravo1 -61-62 with a load and i have a 6inch plate at 3.25 below pad .
    Plans on putting my 3.0L 2004 225 on it after i go thru it from a difference boat .

15. Member
    They made a few years with the down draft engine in a 2.5 200 engine also. Strong litter motor's . They are stronger than my older 2.5 200 carb .