My Vapor Separator Tank EXPLODED!!

UPDATE:

I think I know what happened!

When I "resealed" the VST unit I must have over tightened one of the
    torx bolts thus caused cap housing tab to spider-line crack. That crack grew over time with vibration and eventually, the pressure inside the VST caused the cap to erupt.

2000 OMC/Evinrude Ficht Ram 175 - E175FPLSSR

Got back to the landing just fine - wasn't pushing the Ficht...just a nice 4500rpm cruise to end the day. Got there then all of a sudden the idle changed and the motor began to shake violently. Then a loud pop - I swear my cowling was about to pop off! I shut her down and proceeded to land. I got home, took off the cowl and saw this! Looks like my cap busted open!

I'm going to need a new VST. How often does this happen? Is there a way to prevent this?

Am I better off shelling out $700 for a NEW one? or $100-$250 for "clean/good" used one?
    Last edited by Moob; 07-11-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Never saw one blow like that in all the years of FICHT. About the only thing could be a plugged up fuel rail return filter screen which would cause the fuel pressure inside to go sky high.

Just a thought, have you checked your filters for black particles that could be from deteriorating fuel lines? Those will plug up a screen in a heartbeat.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    I have not. I’ll pull and check them out.

4. Member
    Not seen one fail like that either but that grey "sealant" on the o-ring looks like someone has been in there before.

5. Member
    I should have replaced the unit the first time around - I recall seeing fuel mixed with water from my “pee” hole last year and traced it back to the VST. I took the unit offf and removed the cap to find that the o-ring on the top was pinched and somewhat severed. I happened to find another o-ring just the same size and “resealed” everything with a bit of silicone sealant.

What other screen filters should I be checking? From what I can tell all indeed and outfeed fuel/water lines are clean and clear of debris.

6. Member
    Hi Moob! I have a unit you can have ! The cylinder itself has corrosion inside but the ends are good ! Replaced/p pump last yr! Let me know ! Won't be back t o house till next wknd ! I will keep pump itself ! I want to see if it still runs ! a lot of sludge when I took apart in pump! top and bottom of unit ok! Mike

7. Member
    Thanks for the offer -- brand spanking new unit arrives today! We'll see what happens!

8. Member
    UPDATE:

I think I know what happened!

When I "resealed" the VST unit I must have over tightened one of the torx bolts thus caused cap housing tab to spider-line crack. That crack grew over time with vibration and eventually, the pressure inside the VST caused the cap to erupt.

9. Member
    That will do it.

Yep, makes sense.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

11. Member
    New tank installed along with new plugs and a new fuel/water separator filter. On ears she started up just fine and after a few minutes of roughness she’s got a steady idle. Will test on the water tomorrow.

12. Member
    NON ETHANOL !!!! USE IT AFTER REPLACING.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos3317 View Post
    NON ETHANOL !!!! USE IT AFTER REPLACING.
    For the three years that I've owned my Triton/Evinrude, nothing but 91+

UPDATE: After purging all air out of the air system and 1.5 gallons of gas -- she runs LIKE A CHAMP!!