Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Assuming it's a hyperlift hull/ pad, your probably not on the pad yet at 42 mph for it to chine walk when you are going straight. The turns I'm not sure, could be a little prop slip and or the higher steps digging in for the turn. I can make some pretty tight turns at 50mph with no problem but I have to bring it down to neutral trim or less.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 07-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.

My boat will chine at that speed with a light load. Assuming that prop is providing good lift it is possible.

3. Banned
    In the turns?

Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    In the turns?
    Usually corrects itself in turns.

Same boat,same motor,stock ballistic prop,6" jack plate. Took 9 yrs to figure out the porpoising issue but this remedied the problem. 42 mph/gps solo/5600 rpm. That's pretty much all your gonna be able to achieve with a 90 on the H51.

6. Member
    Basically I've eliminated the porpoising, unless I over trim. Weight plays the biggest part that I've seen on this boats performance (Either weight placement or going over weight). By myself, or with my small wife, boat runs good, add fat fishing partner along with my lard butt, anything over 1/2 tank of gas, full live well of water, lots of tackle things get bad. As I like to say, it becomes a floating turd. Boat before this one was a 17' Sea Ark with a 60 Johnson...It topped out at 36 mph...which makes it hard to see this boat only topping at 42 with a 90 Yamaha. 30 more HP should deliver more than 6 higher mph (IMHO). Sunday, wife and I, boat ran 40 @ 5500 with 15 Stiletto (worked over by Mark with extra cup), I need to raise motor another 1/4" to see if I can get rpms up...If I can get up to 5800 rpms, I will put on my 17 Turbo and see what happens.

Guess I should post my expectations... I would like to be able to run (when needed, not all the time) 44-45 mph, 5600-5800 rpms. Light to medium load, knowing less performance comes with added weight. If it's the best it can run now, then I'll adjust what I can and live with it. Still have a few more tricks I can try, raise motor, go from three batteries to two, try another prop, and lose 30 lbs., which would make the wife extremely happy. ;-)
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

7. Banned
    Going to need the 115 on that hull to run mid to high 40s with a load consistently.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Going to need the 115 on that hull to run mid to high 40s with a load consistently.
    Figured such...
    But, before I put jack plate on, with motor raised all the way up on transom, prop just fixed from Mark's, I got 5700 rpm and saw 43 mph once. Ran easy @ 42 mph, up and down the creek. Added Jack Plate to be able to raise motor higher, but have not seen those numbers yet with jack plate on. PTP distance was 4.5" before and after. 45 mph is just wishful thinking.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12