Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

H51, 90 Yamaha, Jack Plate, Turbo 1, Issues...

Xpress H51, 90 Yamaha, Water pressure stays at 15-16 psi @ WOT.
    Added 6" Vance jack plate, set prop to pad exact to 4.5", with 15 pitch stiletto. Me, wife, and gear, I could get 5500 rpms @ 41 mph, boat handled great. Swapped to 17 pitch Turbo 1, and barely got to 5100 rpms @ 40 mph.
    Keep playing with the 17 Turbo or stick with 15 Stiletto?
    Last edited by bulldog44; 07-11-2018 at 03:20 AM.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

2. Member
    I would stick with the 15 p.
    Water pressure is ok at that number.
    With that load and a 90, that's about it.
    I have the same boat.

3. Member
    Be advised, that Turbo1 17p is much more like a 19p. For whatever reason, they rated them low and tell you it is a very efficient prop. Dealer told me Yamaha bought Precision Props and the Turbo1 is the same as the Yamaha Performance series, Turbo1 in odd sizes, Performance is the even sizes. Looking at performance bulletins, I suspect they are not exactly equal, the Perf series appears rated much closer to a true pitch.

I topped out at 5,500 on my F115LB with that prop. Swapped to a 14p Talon AL prop (only $160) and now spin up to 6,300 RPM. Boat absolutely launches out of the water, still tops out at 41 MPH. The 14p Talon is much more like a 16p and SIM Yamaha website says as much.

4. Member
    Before you give up on the turbo prop, you could try a run at 3.5" PTP and see if you get more rpms.

Is your motor the 3 cylinder 2 stroke? If so you may not be able to turn the 17" Turbo.

I believe the XPress set up sticky at the top of the forum gives some information with your engine/hull combo set at 3.5".

5. Member
    Yes, 3 cylinder 2 stroke. I'm going to start raising motor 1/4" at a time to test and check water pressure with the 15 pitch stiletto.
    I may try the Turbo one more time after I get the Stiletto where I want it, but I feel the Turbo is going to be finding a new home.
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

6. Member
    Did you buy the Turbo1 from a dealer who will let you swap it? Since you have the $3-400 in the Turbo, I would at least swap it for a 15” or lower.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrdmen View Post
    Did you buy the Turbo1 from a dealer who will let you swap it? Since you have the $3-400 in the Turbo, I would at least swap it for a 15” or lower.
    Already have a 15 that Mark worked over for me, and from what I've read the Stiletto is the same as a Turbo... Looking toward a four blade Trophy, but need more info from owners (pitch) to see if that will be what is needed... As of right now, boat ran better (MPH & RPMs) with 15 Stiletto and the motor mounted straight to transom. Unless things change, Turbo and Jack Plate are leaving. I'm going to start raising motor, then try weight reduction... If I get mad enough boat will go also...I do not like buying things that require this and that to make it run right. Boats can be bought that do what they are supposed to the first time out. In hind sight, I would never have bought an Xpress based on what I now know.
    Last edited by bulldog44; 07-17-2018 at 09:05 AM.

I'm running some boat and motor as you with a 6 inch plate and 17 trophy plus. I'm 215, partner close to 200, with full tourney load, livewells full as well as a cooler I can run 38 to 39. This is at 5200 to 5300. By myself it will run over the 5500 rpm limit, especially in cooler weather. Currently at 4.5 below pad.

Biggest improvement I saw with the trophy was handling and fuel economy. Boat gets up on top of the water and really holds well in turns.Also cruises really well at midrange. I can run mid 30s at barely over half throttle.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altro Cat View Post
    I'm running some boat and motor as you with a 6 inch plate and 17 trophy plus. I'm 215, partner close to 200, with full tourney load, livewells full as well as a cooler I can run 38 to 39. This is at 5200 to 5300. By myself it will run over the 5500 rpm limit, especially in cooler weather. Currently at 4.5 below pad.

Biggest improvement I saw with the trophy was handling and fuel economy. Boat gets up on top of the water and really holds well in turns.Also cruises really well at midrange. I can run mid 30s at barely over half throttle.
    Did you have any issues with porpoising before or after setting up boat as it is now? When I had prop done by Mark, motor raised high as it would go on transom, boat ran great and only begins to slightly bounce when I over trim. Now after adding jack plate, I'm seeing porpoising again...not as bad as before, but it's there.
    Last edited by bulldog44; 07-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Boat had jackplate when I bought it so I've never ran it without.

Had a 19 pitch solid on it when I bought it. Ran ok solo but was a dog with two people and gear. Porpoised horribly if I got above about half trim. Ran upper 30s but the boat stayed low in the water and had horrible mileage.

Previous owner gave me a spare prop that came with the boat, 17 pitch powertech red series. Better holeshot than the Solas but the prop had no lift at all. Ran 35 to 37 but porpoises some at high trim and guzzled fuel.

Bought the Trophy on advice from members here after initially looking for a Turbo1 with no luck. Boat immediately felt night and day different. Holeshot a little better than the Poweryech but mid and top range were far better. Boat sits up on the pad with spray under the driver's seat fully loaded and behind the seat with just me and empty livewells. With the trophy I can max out the trim with no porpoising by myself. With a partner it will sometimes bounce a bit in rough water or heavy boat wake at max trim but will flatten out once the water flattens out.

I honestly feel like my fuel mileage doubled after adding the trophy. Midrange is the best part of that prop IMO. It cruises up on the pad starting at 4000 rpms. Either of the first two props I ran I had to keep the throttle buried to maintain speed.

I should also add that my boat stays loaded pretty heavy compared to most. 12 to 15 rods, all storage compartments packed, cooler with food and drinks and generally over half tank of fuel. Previous owner said he just carried a handful of crappie rods, a small tacklebox and a few things for spider digging, probably why he had better results from the Solas 19.

11. Member
    I'm leary of a 17 pitch based on RPMs I got with the Turbo 1...I see Yamaha has the FX4...anyone tried it? Compare it to the Trophy Plus?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    Already have a 15 that Mark worked over for me, and from what I've read the Stiletto is the same as a Turbo... Looking toward a four blade Trophy, but need more info from owners (pitch) to see if that will be what is needed... As of right now, boat ran better (MPH & RPMs) with 15 Stiletto and the motor mounted straight to transom. Unless things change, Turbo and Jack Plate are leaving. I'm going to start raising motor, then try weight reduction... If I get mad enough boat will go also...I do not like buying things that require this and that to make it run right. Boats can be bought that do what they are supposed to the first time out. In hind sight, I would never have bought an Xpress based on what I now know.
    Xpress boats sell quite well.

Sounds like you are ready to throw in the towel.

List it in the boats for sale and see what happens.

13. Member
    It's just frustrating... AND, I would never do that to my fellow members here on BBC...I think too much of them.

14. Banned
    It's just frustrating... AND, I would never do that to my fellow members here on BBC...I think too much of them.
    What's the max Hp rating on your boat?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    What's the max Hp rating on your boat?
    115 HP

16. Banned
    115 HP
    Try one

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Try one
    LOL! Best suggestion yet!

18. Banned
    Wake that boat up a little, unless you got a hook. Which I doubt. Keep the jackplate

19. Member
    Going to start raising motor, called Yamaha, minimum water pressure for my motor is 11 PSI @ WOT.
    PTP is 4.5" now... Going up 1/4" at a time. Will see if that wakes it up some.

20. Member
    Squared up Jack Plate, was 1/4" off (thanks Kid Carlisle on how to do it), Raised JP 1/4", now @ 4.25" PTP. Boat ran much better, water pressure still at 15 psi @ WOT. Numbers looked good, 5700 rpms @ 41 mph, saw 42 mph once. I'll run like this for a while, then go up another 1/4". I was running a lighter load than last Saturday, and based on that, weight is playing a big factor, 115 lb. wife vs 250 lb. co-worker does make a difference.

Question... When running the creek the boat wiggles on the a$$ end in curves and when I get straight it goes away. No problem going straight, no porpoising, splash line is behind me, bow up... I can trim down some and the wiggle stops, or it goes away when I come out of the turn. It happens on left or right turns. Is this chine walking? Or is my boat twerking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast