UFP hub rebuild Lseal question

In the process of rebuildingone of my ufp oil bath hub. Got all the info I need except when to change out the L seal. It has two obvious grooves where the springs were riding does that mean it’s toast? Does it come off and go on easily?

Yes, the SS wear ring needs to be replaced. Hard to keep the inner seal from leaking on oil bath hubs when the wear ring is worn. I converted mine to grease.

I use a Dremel tool to score the wear ring and use a screwdriver and pliers to remove it. Some say it comes off easy, mine never have. I use an old inner bearing without the cage, a piece of pipe with a cap and coupling and a dead blow hammer to install the new wear ring. Kind of overkill, but I can smack the new wear ring on straight and quickly. Clean the surface area with emory cloth, wipe clean and use Permatex high temp RTV before installing the wear ring. Add a smidge of oil to the wear ring before installing the hub.

Last edited by Bob G.; 07-07-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Thank you kind sir! Strongly considering changing over to grease as well.

Replace the oil bath sight glass with UFP Trailer Buddy bearing protectors. Use RTV to install the bearing protectors too. Only grease until the blue just barely shows.

5. Member
    Are the ufp protectors that much better than other bearing buddy style caps? I noticed a note that said not to use the bearing buddy caps with castle nuts and cotter pins.

Do your spindles have castle nuts or nuts with retainers? Mine have the nuts with retainers.

I don't know if the UFP protectors are better than other brands, but I stuck with UFP parts for my UFP hubs/spindles when I rebuilt my hubs.

7. Member
    I went really dim for a moment. They have nuts with the retainers but do have a split pin through the retainer. Just wondered what the difference between bearing buddy and trailer buddy was.

8. Member
    Are there 1 or two orings used in conjunction with the wear ring? Wear do they go?

I'm not familiar with the term L seal.. The thin metal sleeve in the picture we call a "speedy sleeve"
    I have never seen one with any O-rings ..

Just re-read the 1st two post's.. Somewhere we changed parts. from the OP to the second post.

11. Member
    Talking about wear sleeves, l ring, seal wear ring, speedy sleeve, etc. for the UFP gold and vault hubs they require an oring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    In the process of rebuildingone of my ufp oil bath hub. Got all the info I need except when to change out the L seal. It has two obvious grooves where the springs were riding does that mean it’s toast? Does it come off and go on easily?
    This threw me off course.. never seen a spring with a speedy sleeve....Thought you were talking about the spring inside the cap which does have grooves and an O-ring.
    Think I'm with you now. As in the SPRING inside the oil seal has grooved the speedy sleeve. .

With all that out of the way I don't know where the O-ring goes .. As I have never had one come with em..

13. Member
    I’m sure my terminology is poor but I’m trying to learn. These forums have been a huge help!

There is an oring groove on the spindle where the wear ring is located. I think the oring is more important when using oil instead of grease. I use the oring and RTV.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    This threw me off course.. never seen a spring with a speedy sleeve....Thought you were talking about the spring inside the cap which does have grooves and an O-ring.
    Think I'm with you now. As in the SPRING inside the oil seal has grooved the speedy sleeve. .

With all that out of the way I don't know where the O-ring goes .. As I have never had one come with em..
    The pic I posted with the 2 grooves on the wear ring was caused by the double lipped seal after several years before I replaced it. Some shops don't know anything about the wear rings. I do my own work on the hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    The pic I posted with the 2 grooves on the wear ring was caused by the double lipped seal after several years before I replaced it. Some shops don't know anything about the wear rings. I do my own work on the hubs.
    Thats for sure.. I've had that argument before.
    The rig I have now is an oil bath but does not require an O-ring.. I have replaced them once several years ago with no leaks yet.

Another trick ----when replacing the rear seal is to seat it at a different depth so the new one is riding on a different spot.

17. Member
    Thank you gentlemen.