Waypoints off North 10 yards of actual brush

Anyone ever had this happen? Today I went to a waypoint (set the 20’) and nothing showed up. Turned on sidevu and QuickDraw side by side and the brush (which is a down tree 14’ long) was 10 yards south of my way point.
    I went to a known visible tree and the way point was 10 yards north of the tree... I then went to a ledge and again...waypoints were 10 yards north of the actual intended target.

Btw this was on a striker+9sv shared with a Striker+7sv

2. Banned
    You change your datum from WGS 84 to NAD83?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    You change your datum from WGS 84 to NAD83?
    No Sir, and these are 8 month old way points that hav always been spot on to a foot or less. It was every single way point on that lake. They both have thof 7.00 update. I went ahead and dropped a new waypoint right on top of th brush from the 2d sonar screen and it showed it 10 yards south of the original icons ( I had the trunk and top marked and I just pulled right up between the two and drop the jig down and THUMP)

4. Member
    It happens,you'd need a system with RTK to be perfect every time.

5. Member
    All I've read on GPS, regardless of brand, typical receivers available to the general public are accurate to within 10 meters. With WAAS 3 meters. Of course the military and professional surveyors have better stuff. I doubt if anyone makes a better GPS than Garmin. They have a bit of history on this.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Banned
    Temperature can effect accuracy as well, I've set a waypoint in really hot temperatures and come back in the winter and its off.

7. Member
    Jtn, Winchester and Waco thank you guys for the awesome information. I love Garmins gps looks like the temperature thing might be interesting to see. I think I’m going to mark some main brush piles and label them summer and leave the winter waypoints to see!

Thanks again gentlemen for taking the time to leave some awesome comments!

-Rockie

8. Member
    I have run into this before. My thought is that you have gps signal but it’s weak on that day for whatever reason. Weather or just where the satellites are that day. You only need a few satellites for a gps lock but the more it can lock onto the better your accuracy will be. There should be a menu screen where you can see how many satellites the gps it locked onto.

Quote Originally Posted by MybestfriendRockie View Post
    Jtn, Winchester and Waco thank you guys for the awesome information. I love Garmins gps looks like the temperature thing might be interesting to see. I think I’m going to mark some main brush piles and label them summer and leave the winter waypoints to see!

Thanks again gentlemen for taking the time to leave some awesome comments!

-Rockie

9. Member
    Now that lays it out there where a simple man can make sense of it haha thanks guys! I really do appreciate everyone who took the time to help me wrapped my head around it!

-Rockie

Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    I have run into this before. My thought is that you have gps signal but it’s weak on that day for whatever reason. Weather or just where the satellites are that day. You only need a few satellites for a gps lock but the more it can lock onto the better your accuracy will be. There should be a menu screen where you can see how many satellites the gps it locked onto.