Speedometer pitot

I have a 2013 Mercury 150hp 4 stroke on a Nitro Z7. The speedo pitot is clogged with what appears to be wood. Got it out to a depth of about 3/4” with a small drill bit and vise grips. Still fills like there’s more but I’m afraid to go any deeper until I get some advise. Can you damage anything doing this and how deep can I go? I quit when the last bit that the bit brought out looked like plastic. I tried blowing on the pitot hole by mouth but no air was going in...help, please

2. Dogfish_Jones
    You should to be able to go deeper the 3/4 ", I know I have but then again I have never seen any platic come out either. I never even look at my speedometer any more, first reason I look at my GPS, Second reason is I have to look around my graph to see it since I have upgraded and got a wider graph mounted above my steering wheel.

3. Member
    You can drill right into the lower unit. Only use a drill bit by hand. My advice would be to forget about it if you have gps. Mines been clogged since about a month after I bought mine and don’t care. It’s an endless issue that you’ll always have to deal with. Not worth the potential risk of drilling through the lower unit.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    I went about an inch deep and water ran out..maybe it’s fixed...thanks

5. Member
    Thanks for your input, guys. Took the boat out today and speedo worked

6. Dogfish_Jones
    Glad you got it working for you. I'm sure after you clean it out a vew more times, it will not be a problem for you anymore. I always wondered why not put a small mesh screen across it but then again it might give you the wrong speed. I know on my boat there is a smal difference of about 3 mph from speedomenter and GPS. Well, that's when I could see my speedometer before my graph covered it up.