Auto bilge pump constantly running

Went fishing today and my auto bilge kept running. I could not get it to stop. I eventually cut the wire to get it to stop. Only thing I can think of is the float is stuck. Any ideas?

2. Banned
    You don't say what make/age of boat you have,for example, Skeeter DMS systems, Hold in button for 30 seconds to reset.
    Float sensor could be stuck in "Open" position, obstruction preventing same, faulty float switch, to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Went fishing today and my auto bilge kept running. I could not get it to stop. I eventually cut the wire to get it to stop. Only thing I can think of is the float is stuck. Any ideas?
    I assume you cut the wire that goes directly to the battery, that being the case, it indicates a problem with the float switch. If it is a Rule pump, the switch is an electronic sensor in the cavity of the pump. This cavity may coated or have some foreign material that needs to be cleaned. Just remove the pump and snap off the bottom screen. There are some Rule videos on U-Tube that will be helpful.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 07-07-2018 at 04:03 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Thanks. It is a skeeter. It sure the make of the pump.

If it's the float type switch -- most often it's something stuck in or under the float.
    Seen everything from a dead mouse to a discarded plastic worm.

Just dealt with this a week ago with my Skeeter

I try my best to keep the boat clean but once I got to the bilge I found a thick zip lock plastic bag had worked its way between the pump and float switch

Now the float switch has a small little tab to push down to test the float switch and the bag was holding this tab down and the switch on

Took 35 minutes to get to it and 3 seconds to fix it
    "The handicapped angler"