2018 20TRX G2 setup

Working on fine tuning my setup. New to Tritons so I'm curious if this hull doesn't like much trim? Currently it's set at 2 1/4" PTP and will run 73mph at 5800 by myself and empty wells before it starts to Chine Walk, but 70-72 5700 with a tournament load. I'm not expecting to get much more out of it but I've noticed that the boat does not like more than 3/4 trim. So I'm curious if the hulls likes the motor lower in the water with less trim better?

These hulls do like to run deeper than the older hulls, you may want to start around 3 1/4 below pad and go from there. I also find that just below full trim my X3 hull is happier than at full trim.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

3. Member
    I have a 2017 20 trx . 250 Merc my below pad is at 2.5” ... I start chine waking at around 68 at around 5k rpm.. I run a med Laos with empty wells..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

4. Member
    Is your max speed limited by driving skill or the motor? What prop are you running? What is your speed and water pressure at 6krpm?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    Working on fine tuning my setup. New to Tritons so I'm curious if this hull doesn't like much trim? Currently it's set at 2 1/4" PTP and will run 73mph at 5800 by myself and empty wells before it starts to Chine Walk, but 70-72 5700 with a tournament load. I'm not expecting to get much more out of it but I've noticed that the boat does not like more than 3/4 trim. So I'm curious if the hulls likes the motor lower in the water with less trim better?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    Is your max speed limited by driving skill or the motor? What prop are you running? What is your speed and water pressure at 6krpm?
    ...this and how much setback?

Quote Originally Posted by JJolley View Post
    These hulls do like to run deeper than the older hulls, you may want to start around 3 1/4 below pad and go from there. I also find that just below full trim my X3 hull is happier than at full trim.
    What makes you think that? From what I’ve seen, the TRX range actually likes a high engine
    setting and has more chine walk the deeper you go
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

7. Member
    This is max speed that I've been able to handle before it Chine Walks. Still learning to correct it... Engine setback is 6" and Prop is a 26p Raker HO. I'm just wondering how the boat will handle rough water with the ptp so high. If it will cavitate easily or not. Wasn't sure if it is preferred to lower the motor and use less trim on these hulls.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine runs best around 2.5 to 2.75 below pad. However when it gets really rough 2.5 is a little to high and 2.75 is pushing it. I normally do not run in extreemly rough water.

9. Member
    So you have a 6” plate plus the built in set back of the motor? For a total of 11”? 2.5 is a good average all around setting if your not trying to squeeze all the speed out of it. Every rig and weight distribution is different if your fine tuning but you can’t fine tune it until your driving skills are up to par. My 04 21x will take full trim with no problem @ about 2” on the atlas.

10. Member
    Ok so maybe I will lower it back down to 2.5". There didn't seem to be much difference in performance from 2.5 to 2.25". When I first got the boat it was set at 3" and would start to Chine Walk at 69-70mph with about half trim.

11. Member
    I have no experience with the Evinrudes so I can't really comment on the PTP. In general the higher the OB the later it will start to chine walk but you will lose bow lift and top speed at some point.

My best advice is to work on boat control and driving before worrying about your PTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    Ok so maybe I will lower it back down to 2.5". There didn't seem to be much difference in performance from 2.5 to 2.25". When I first got the boat it was set at 3" and would start to Chine Walk at 69-70mph with about half trim.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    I have no experience with the Evinrudes so I can't really comment on the PTP. In general the higher the OB the later it will start to chine walk but you will lose bow lift and top speed at some point.

My best advice is to work on boat control and driving before worrying about your PTP.
    Agree unless his setup is causing the control issues. Sometimes it’s a chicken or egg issue.