Thread: Front deck

Front deck

I am about to recapped my boat and have a question about the front deck. I have a Skeeter sf175. The front deck seems to give a little when I stand on it. I am a big dude. If I laid a couple of mats of fiberglass crisscross pattern with resin on the deck, would it do any good to strengthen the deck? I know it is a dumb question but I am trying to find a way to strengthen the deck before I carpet it. Thanks for yalls time. ><> del
    A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25

Yes. But recommend you use epoxy resin vs. polyester. The epoxy will provide additional strength to the laminate. Also use a purpose built cloth (not the stuff you get at a home center), like e-glass or better yet, S-glass - it will give you superior strength and rigidity compared to the same lay-up schedule of polyester resin and inferior cloth. Check out Fiberglast.com or US Composites for high quality materials.

Great! Thank you very much for the info. I have not worked with fiberglass enough to know much about it but i want to do as much as possible myself. Again, thank you very much sir. ><>< del
    A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25

I would use vinyl ester and lay down 2 layers of 1708. If you are new to working with glass this will be much easier than epoxy and still be rock solid.
    Proud Army Dad

where would I find this vinyl ester and 1708? I have never heard of it. gonna you tube it thanks so much! <>< del

Fiberglast.com, US Composites, West Systems, and Boat Builder Central all sell fiberglassing supplies.

7. Member
    It won't do shiat. The only way to stiffen that puppy up is to glass in bulk heads under it. It's the only way, and I've done it, the deck will be rock solid.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    It won't do shiat. The only way to stiffen that puppy up is to glass in bulk heads under it. It's the only way, and I've done it, the deck will be rock solid.
    I'd respectfully disagree. Composite construction, especially using advanced composite materials - such as Kevlar and/or carbon fiber fabrics - can add sufficient stiffness to a laminate without relying on additional bracing.
    A simple strip of carbon fiber tape (especially in an epoxy resin laminate) in certain applications can add tremendous stiffness! Multiple layers of C.F. can replace spars and stiffening ribs in laminates like airplane wings, surfboards, body panels, etc.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I'd respectfully disagree. Composite construction, especially using advanced composite materials - such as Kevlar and/or carbon fiber fabrics - can add sufficient stiffness to a laminate without relying on additional bracing.
    A simple strip of carbon fiber tape (especially in an epoxy resin laminate) in certain applications can add tremendous stiffness! Multiple layers of C.F. can replace spars and stiffening ribs in laminates like airplane wings, surfboards, body panels, etc.

Really, I use carbon fiber in the trolling motor trays I build, and install in skeeters. The only way to stiffen that deck up is with bulk heads. Unless you want to add more material to the top of the deck which is totally stupid, and who's going to want to invest 4-5 hundred bucks into carbon fiber and kevlar to build up a deck that won't do what it's supposed to? Some broke dick fisherman?? Cut a hole for a T tray, go under the deck and put in bulk heads, it will be rock solid.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Stiffening a deck with a hole cut for a T.M. is not what the OP stated. Adding structural reinforcement underneath is certainly an option for the OP, since the deck is off already - but again, not what he originally asked about.
    And no one recommended covering the entire deck with kevlar and carbon fiber.

I do not have the front deck off. It is a solid piece of fiberglass. If i were to put tm tray in, i would certainly add a t post under there and glass it up. But i use a hand control troler so no tray for me. Thanks for all the replies though, yall da bestest!! <>< del