Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Old school motor support bs newer short sticks?

I’d like to hear opinions or known facts in regards to using the long rod that is supported by the trailer or those new short sticks you just put on the motor.

My feelings are that the old school does a much better job of taking the stress off the transom during those long road trips.

Let’s hear some thoughts, opinions, or facts!!

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCFishing View Post
    I’d like to hear opinions or known facts in regards to using the long rod that is supported by the trailer or those new short sticks you just put on the motor.

My feelings are that the old school does a much better job of taking the stress off the transom during those long road trips.

Let’s hear some thoughts, opinions, or facts!!
    There's been many threads on this over the years.
    Your thoughts are correct, and are backed up by engineering knowns.
    But many others will be along to tell you otherwise.

3. Banned
    So flying down the lake at 70+mph, in 2' waves with no suspensions or shock absorbers with the motor trimmed out fully isn't rougher on the transom???... If towing your boat with the new style motor supports damages your transom you should have bought a better built boat... Dan

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    So flying down the lake at 70+mph, in 2' waves with no suspensions or shock absorbers with the motor trimmed out fully isn't rougher on the transom???... If towing your boat with the new style motor supports damages your transom you should have bought a better built boat... Dan
    Just turn around and take a look sometime ... It doesn't have to be 70 mph or 2' waves for your outboard to be shaking and bouncing all over the place. I finally gave up the argument about 4-5 years ago and went with a Lock-N-Haul. Motor is solid when I tow ... No issues.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    I agree, as the transom should not be harmed/helped with either device.
    But...... Bass Cat Boats does still recommend the old fashioned "transom saver", as it does exactly what it says.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Just turn around and take a look sometime ... It doesn't have to be 70 mph or 2' waves for your outboard to be shaking and bouncing all over the place. I finally gave up the argument about 4-5 years ago and went with a Lock-N-Haul. Motor is solid when I tow ... No issues.

Yep, let’s see the engineers study that one. I have a motormate and it moves next to zero when I hit bumps/pot holes, transom saver makes the cowling/motor bounce all over the places. I know which is 10x harder on the motor mounts and I don’t need an engineer to prove that one.

I’d sure like to see this study done on the transom savers! Last I heard BCB preferred the Lou’s saver, which is not exactly like regular transom saver, more of a hybrid.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 07-07-2018 at 10:29 AM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I’d sure like to see this study done on the transom savers!
    Hire an engineer to look at the two systems.
    You won't get the answer you want, and you will disagree with the result.

8. Banned
    Here's a very nice transom saver that works the exact same way as the old school transom saver, except that there's no chance of it scratching the LU, if that bothers you.
    https://www.basscatstore.com/largemo...otortoter.aspx
    Bass Cat engineers agree that supported from the motor to the trailer is the way to go.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Here's a very nice transom saver that works the exact same way as the old school transom saver, except that there's no chance of it scratching the LU, if that bothers you.
    https://www.basscatstore.com/largemo...otortoter.aspx
    Bass Cat engineers agree that supported from the motor to the trailer is the way to go.

Right, that is the Lou’s that I was referring too in my post above, that is not a traditional saver.

Truth is, it doesn’t matter what style you use. We have never seen a post on here about a transom breaking off while trailering, I’ve seen post where the hinge brackets broke though.

10. Member
    All valid points. Not trying to bash anyone just wanting to see what others think.

11. Banned
    It’s about the same as “what brand of motor or truck”. Someone once said, that one of the most important times to keep a toter on was when the boat was sitting for extended periods. Helps take the weight of the motor off the transom.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Plus Lou is an all around good guy and good friend.

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Definitely agree with ChampioNman!!!!!!! Lou is the best!!!!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Plus Lou is an all around good guy and good friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea
    Definitely agree with ChampioNman!!!!!!! Lou is the best!!!!!
    Don't doubt that a bit, but, how's his motortoter?

I've used the short stick for the last 11 years. Motor is still there. Same as when I used the long stick for the first 30 years.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Right, that is the Lou’s that I was referring too in my post above, that is not a traditional saver.

Truth is, it doesn’t matter what style you use. We have never seen a post on here about a transom breaking off while trailering, I’ve seen post where the hinge brackets broke though.
    In any fender-bender all the weight of the trailer and boat suddenly stopping is transfered directly down the traditional transom saver to the lower unit. The boat then breaks loose and slides forward, only a couple inches in a fender bender, but significantly more if the straps are loose or breaks free. A tremendous amout of force is transfered to the transom. Don’t ask me how I know. The traditional transom saver is a bit of a pain to hook up, scratches the lower unit and is harder to stow, it isn’t worth it IMHO.

16. Banned
    I have always visualized the desktop hanging steel pendulum balls with the traditional saver. Pull the outside steel ball back and let it drop, all the force is transmitted to the opposite side ball, making it jump up several inches because of the inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    There's been many threads on this over the years.
    Your thoughts are correct, and are backed up by engineering knowns.
    But many others will be along to tell you otherwise.
    Please provide these engineering “knowns.” We all have our opinions but if you have some facts, I’d love to read them.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Don't doubt that a bit, but, how's his motortoter?
    Don't know I use the factory trailer bracket when I tow my boat and the TH marine clips for my Seastar steering. I've seen his motor toter on his boat and it looks like the real deal. Everything I've seen Lou make looks like a quality product.

19. Pat Goff
    I do know this...
    All of the original champ guys didn't want you to use a stick transom saver. Their reason? Every bump in the road goes straight to the motor. They built them, they saw way more of them than anyone else here, so I never had a argument.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

20. Member
    May just be a coincidence but was using a old style motor toter when I rear ended a car in Fall of 2015, bent the motor toter in half and boat slid forward about 2 feet on trailer breaking winch stand off of trailer. Trailer Totalled.

Spring of 2016 motor didn't seem right Mechanic took lower unit apart and found 3 out of 4 screws busted in bearing cage and driveshaft screwed up. Wish I would have had motor checked
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast