Thread: All 3 Bravo's

All 3 Bravo's

Ok I see that the difference between the Bravo1 XS vs FS is the amount of pvs holes, but what is the difference when going to the regular Bravo 1. It looks like it has no pvs holes but must be another change because it costs like $100 less???

2. Member
    Just get an "XS" 2015-2018 edition...…..

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Just get an "XS" 2015-2018 edition...…..
    I see a lot of guys buy the "xs" edition, but if the plain Bravo I is the same as the "XS" or "FS" and I don't have to mess with the pain in the butt pvs plugs because I have a four stroke I would prefer that. I now have tempest and fury and have to plug the holes. I spend all this money to have props balanced and blue printed to the 100th, then I put cheap plastic plugs in that no possible way are all exactly the same. I just can't find any information stating weather all 3 are the same or not???

4. Member
    Call Brett at Bblades. I bet he can help.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

5. Member
    PVS plugs are a benefit for any prop/motor combination. If you don't have PVS holes, then you can't tune the holeshot. Plus nobody wants to buy a prop without venting.

6. Member
    Regular bravos have no vent holes, and are made from stronger material. Then the first generation of XS came along, which had 1" vent holes, and now the second generation of XS have 8 pvs fitted holes. New XS and FS just different in pvs holes.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Regular bravos have no vent holes, and are made from stronger material. Then the first generation of XS came along, which had 1" vent holes, and now the second generation of XS have 8 pvs fitted holes. New XS and FS just different in pvs holes.
    COOL thank you for information.

8. Member
    Depending on the year/style of the Bravo1 the flare on the tube is cut...…..all the more reason to get a modern B1, with venting for added resale value. Cut flares can make or break a set-up depending on which hull you have.

9. Member
    Does the FS have the flares as well? I too have a 4 stroke (Yamaha SHO) and know guys with the SHO running this prop on their boats and they are plugging all 8 holes. If the FS is the same with 4 less holes, I would think that is the way to go?

10. Banned
    Bravo xs flare cut 8 pvs holes, bravo fs flare cut 4 pvs holes, the bravo one is the original version of these two props that has full flare and no pvs holes.

11. Member
    What is the purpose of the flare? I have a bravo 1 with 4 pvs holes added. Just curious what is the performance purpose of the flare or lack of?

12. Banned
    Flare provides stern lift and will also fight bow rise on holeshot.

Flare on the barrel provides a bit more stern lift, but at the same time creates more drag. The Bravo 1 FS (four stroke) comes with 4 solid plugs. I have a 25" FS on a 175 SHO and need no vents open. Very happy with the prop.

As far as balance is concerned, because the plugs are on the barrel and not the blades, the effect on balance is not a factor worth being concerned about, as the barrel is so close to the centerline of the shaft. The newer XS/FS props come with a "Pro Finish", which is balanced from the factory and is supposed to be to specs as well. Be mindful that the even size pitches are used to make the odd pitches. In other words, a 25" Bravo 1 FS starts life as a 24" and they add cup to make it perform like a 25". GENERALLY speaking, if you are currently running a 3 blade 24" stiff prop, you'll need to bump up to a 25" in a Bravo 1 XS/FS. The half inch sizes have more cup added. So, I was running a 24" SHO T1 prop and put a Bravo 1 FS 25". RPM's went UP at WOT.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Flare on the barrel provides a bit more stern lift, but at the same time creates more drag. The Bravo 1 FS (four stroke) comes with 4 solid plugs. I have a 25" FS on a 175 SHO and need no vents open. Very happy with the prop.

As far as balance is concerned, because the plugs are on the barrel and not the blades, the effect on balance is not a factor worth being concerned about, as the barrel is so close to the centerline of the shaft. The newer XS/FS props come with a "Pro Finish", which is balanced from the factory and is supposed to be to specs as well. Be mindful that the even size pitches are used to make the odd pitches. In other words, a 25" Bravo 1 FS starts life as a 24" and they add cup to make it perform like a 25". GENERALLY speaking, if you are currently running a 3 blade 24" stiff prop, you'll need to bump up to a 25" in a Bravo 1 XS/FS. The half inch sizes have more cup added. So, I was running a 24" SHO T1 prop and put a Bravo 1 FS 25". RPM's went UP at WOT.
    Wow thank you for all the information!! Have you run a Fury 4?? If so how was it compared to the Bravo FS you run?

Have not run a Fury 4. I've run a Tempest Plus (24"), the blue printed and balanced 24" SHO T1 (it's actually about 24.4" after blueprinting), and now the 25" Bravo 1 FS. The Tempest ran fine, so I keep it for a spare now, as I nicked it up a bit. The SHO prop runs well at WOT, but I could never get the rpm up past 5900 or so at 69mph. I talked to Scott and Mercury Racing about the Bravo 1 FS, after doing a ton of research on my own. When I first installed it, the weather was in the low 80's here in Alabama and I saw 6,050 rpm and 69mph...now it's hot as Hades here...95 + or - 2 degrees, with heat indexes over 100, so the prop and engine will not turn up as fast, but I still get a great hole shot and outstanding mid range performance. Plus, handling in rough water is 100% better, as are turns. Great bow lift, with just right stern lift. Under cooler conditions, I'm sure the boat will run 70, but a Sabre has to be driven at those speeds. The 4 blade makes that easier as well. Long story short...I'm done buying props. Most of my running is from 40-55 mph and the Bravo 1 FS is perfect for my needs, and when I want to go fast for a minute or two, it'll run as fast as I want.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80