T Dub

2019 rule changes

Have any of you reviewed the rule changes for 2019? I like being able to leave the flag in when putting - I was playing by myself Monday and made a long eagle putt with the flag in since I was too lazy to walk up and pull the pin (only my second eagle ever), which if I’m not mistaken would have cost me two strokes under current rules.

I also like the fact that a “double chip” is no longer a penalty even though I’ve only done it once before.

And I think now you can take a drop from knee level rather than shoulder height.

2. Member
    Not till 2019. Too much other stuff to do till then.

You'll be able to putt with the flag in but can not have someone remove the flag once the ball is rolling unless the flag is actually being tended.
    Another rule will be you can take an unplayable anytime (or unplayable for you) but have to add 2 strokes. Like hacking out of a bunker. If you know you stink at bunker play you can take a drop outside of the bunker then add 2 strokes.
    I believe same with out of bounds. Instead stroke and distance of going back to the tee you can drop where it went out and add 2 strokes. Pretty much every weekend golfer just drops were it went out anyway and either takes 1 stroke or a mulligan.
    Now the dreaded spike marks that every weekender hammers down now you will be able too tap down legally.

I think the changes are good. Still would like relief from a divot as ground under repair but read the USGA and R&A aint budging on that one. Then again I take relief from a divot anyway unless it's sand filled as my excuse is I play to play not get paid to play!
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

4. Member
    One rule that really needs to be changed is when you are unfortunate enough to hit into a fairway divot that someone did not repair properly. You should be able to get a free lift.

5. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    One rule that really needs to be changed is when you are unfortunate enough to hit into a fairway divot that someone did not repair properly. You should be able to get a free lift.
    I agree. Never understood making someone hit from a divot since it isn't "natural"

Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    I agree. Never understood making someone hit from a divot since it isn't "natural"
    Agree also.
    One would think it would be "ground under repair". The divot is either replaced (repaired) or sand filled (repaired). If the divot isn't replaced or sand filled it is still GIR as eventually the divot will be filled or the grass will eventually repair itself and grow over the divot. It's a stretch but sounds reasonable.
    If my ball is in a big ass divot I remove the ball from it. If its sand filled I'll play the ball as it lies. If by chance the ball is lying on a replaced divot I'll sometimes play it as it lies. 95% of the time if and when my ball ever finds a divot the divot is usually not repaired so I remove the ball from the divot.
    Same goes if my ball lands in a foot print in an un-raked bunker. I'll rake and place or move the ball out of the foot print. I shouldn't be penalized for someone else ignorance. You never see an un-raked bunker on any tour or tourney worth something for that matter.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

7. Member
    I totally agree with haha about playing out of a footprint in a bunker. It is not hard to rake a bunker when a player has completed the stroke and exited the bunker. Numerous times I have asked people to rake bunkers on the course. Most look at me like I've lost my mind thinking they should do the job of an employee of the course.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    i think the problem becomes- who determines whether it was repaired “properly”. I hit in a divot that hasn’t been repaired at all - so I take a drop. My competitor hits in a divot that someone half filled with sand - does he get a drop? Another competitor hits in a divot that is completely filled with sand but is uneven and the sand is mounded up behind the ball - drop?

To paraphrase Walter Hagen when a boy watching him was lamenting his bad luck at a bad lie - Nobetheless he my ball lies and from here I must play it!

of course this is for competitions. If you are going out for a friendly round with your friends - put in place any “local rules” you want!!