Thread: 186

I'm looking at my first boat and stumbled across this one. Any input good or bad. He is asking 7k

Charger 186 VF with a 1998 Johnson 175. New impeller as well as new livewell valves replaced this year. New Lowrance Hook 9 on now and New lowrance Elite TI 5 with total scan Transducer at the Stearn. New Minkota Fortrex 80# trolling motor installed this year. Boat was given a total go over in March. This boat is ready to go nothing needed. Trailer tires and bearings were also serviced in april.

2. Member
    I would test drive it first to make sure everything is working properly.

3. Banned
    Have the motor checked out by a certified tech other then that it's your call. You didn't mention the year of the boat but, I sold a 2001 bare bones 186 last fall with a blown motor for $3,500 so with all the up grades price sounds about right. The 186 is a great all around boat runs low to mid 60's all day loaded. It handles rough water well for it's size and still small enough to fish tight docks.

4. Member
    Find out if the throttle cable and steering cable have been replaced yet by the current owner, If not you'll need to replace them for safety reasons.

[QUOTE=jarhead175;9486529]Have the motor checked out by a certified tech.

6. Member
    I had the same boat for 17 years. $7k is a bargain as long as the motor checks out. That model evinrude was pretty much bullet proof.

7. Member
    I had the motor checked out. There have been no issues with this one. Compression was good, computer scan come back with no issues at all. Its always had xd100 and premium fuel run in it. I'm going to go ahead and purchase my first bass boat. I'm pretty excited, probably not as excited as my 7 year old will be when we go to pick it up. He has no idea. Any must haves I need to look at getting?

Ok. So it's a FICHT engine then if you had the computer scanned. I am pro evinrude all the way BUT the early year FICHT engines, specially the 150 and 175 engines have been known to have some issues. Parts are pretty much hard to come by if something breaks. If it was a carbed engine then they are rock solid.

So, since this is your first bass boat you don't want to get burned if something breaks. Price the boat as if the engine is going to need replaced. You may get 20 more years out of it and you may only get 20. That engine is a gamble if it is a FICHT engine.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Ok. So it's a FICHT engine then if you had the computer scanned. I am pro evinrude all the way BUT the early year FICHT engines, specially the 150 and 175 engines have been known to have some issues. Parts are pretty much hard to come by if something breaks. If it was a carbed engine then they are rock solid.

So, since this is your first bass boat you don't want to get burned if something breaks. Price the boat as if the engine is going to need replaced. You may get 20 more years out of it and you may only get 20. That engine is a gamble if it is a FICHT engine.

Johnson made a FICHT? I thought they were only erude??? (Yes I realize they had the same parent company, just never heard of a Johnson FICHT)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Johnson made a FICHT? I thought they were only erude??? (Yes I realize they had the same parent company, just never heard of a Johnson FICHT)
    They did. Only for a couple years and the johnson was phased out

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    They did. Only for a couple years and the johnson was phased out

Makes sense. I really liked the looks of the white Johnson’s, you perv’s here don’t twist that one.

12. Member
    I have an 06 186 and love it. Wish it had a 175 but with me and the 150 I can hit 55. I think it has more in it but without a jack plate it's not worth it for me to adjust the height.