Two noob helix G2N questions

1. Do y'all trailer with the covers on your helix g2n units? if so, do you find it necessary to put a strap around them so they don't fly off?

2. Does the helix allow you to make custom screens? I know you can cycle through pre made screens and select shortcuts, but I can I actually say I want the map, 2D, DI and SI all on one screen and save it?

Thanks.

2. Member
    I don't leave units on the boat while trailering because I live pretty far away from where I fish. But if you do leave the covers on, I highly recommend you strapping them to the unit.

No, you can not make custom screens with helix units.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Whelp, got more questions. I watched a video on YouTube about setting up my units. I took very detailed notes however some of the things he said was not an option. Could this be an update thing? Also, I installed a gps HS. Do I need to tell the unit to use the external gps? If, so where do I go to do that? On my lowrance units I would tell it to use the external for heading but the internal for gps. Is this something that needs to be done on the birds?

I am running helix 10 mega SI g2n at the console and DI at the bow.

Thanks all. Learning birds seems to be quite the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Whelp, got more questions. I watched a video on YouTube about setting up my units. I took very detailed notes however some of the things he said was not an option. Could this be an update thing? Also, I installed a gps HS. Do I need to tell the unit to use the external gps? If, so where do I go to do that? On my lowrance units I would tell it to use the external for heading but the internal for gps. Is this something that needs to be done on the birds?

I am running helix 10 mega SI g2n at the console and DI at the bow.

Thanks all. Learning birds seems to be quite the learning curve.
    Yes, selecting the GPS source is done in the Network menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks. I will play with it tomorrow.

6. Member
    I have the rubber helix screen covers and I trailer ​with mine no problem

7. Member
    With the helix units, you will not be able to use just the heading and not the gps. Helix units can not share a heading sensor/gps antenna the same way you may have done with lowrance and a point 1 antenna. I had HDS units before and shared a single gps/heading sensor between them like you describe. On the bow unit I used the heading from the point 1 at the stern, but used the internal gps of the bow unit for location. This can be done with Solix or Onix units, but not Helix unit. With helix units, you can share the heading and gps info, but you have to use both. Not ideal for a bow unit if the antenna is located at the stern.

Hold down the view button and a box will pop up to select different views. Scroll down to system, then system status. That will show you what software version you your unit has.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI