Lake Leelanau Advice

Up here for a wedding tonight but brought the boat for the rest of the weekend. Staying at a place on the river that connects the two lakes.
    Without giving away your favorite spots for this time of year, would you fish the north or south lake? I am looking more for numbers then size to keep the wife interested longer.

The wind is is out of the north today and just brought a cold front with it. Should be warmer tomorrow and Sunday with winds out of the west.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated since I didn’t do much research as we brought the boat up last minute.

2. Member
    Tough lake to fish in my experience. South end of the south lake is my recommendation. Never put much time into the north lake. If you decide to fish north, look for long flats or points that drop off into deep water quickly. Sharp breaks off flats always seem to hold fish in the summer months.

3. Member
    I would say concentrate south. It's a slightly more fisherman friendly, and has quite a bit more targets to cast at like reeds, downed logs and some weeds. North is much clearer, unless your very comfortable with you electronics, it's a little more difficult to figure out in a short period.

My best tip would be get at it early and throw some topwater. Just point hop and find some 5-15 depth and huck a big walking bait around. You will have a chance at a big one for sure.

I was there first week of June. Smashed them every single day but one. First thing in the morning run to the south end and fish the reeds with a walking bait. The evergreen Shower Blows is the one I have the most luck on. Once that bite dies off, snap tubes all over the points. I like to work my way in. And then drop shot those same points. I seem to have better luck on the east side of the lake. If all else fails, just cover water with a small keitech swimbait and a jig head. I like to work it like I would a jig. I have had decent luck in the north lake, but it can be tougher. If you see pencil reeds, fish them on top in the morning, they'll be there. Lots of 2-3 lb fish in there, with an occasional 4-4.25.
    Last edited by LuvMyRanger; 07-12-2018 at 09:00 PM.