Pool 13 river level

High. A shade under 15' ... and under 10' is closer to summer pool. So it opens up some backwaters - but takes many areas out of play.
    Tough year ... tough conditions. Still beats working. Good fishing to all ...

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    Did the Angler's Dream tournament $400/boat last weekend. Only 8 boats showed because of the tough bite. 2 boats still found good ones and just over 19lb won it. Went out last night where I saw the winners go and caught 3 including a 4.4lb. Somebody can always find them!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rips LEGEND View Post
    Did the Angler's Dream tournament $400/boat last weekend. Only 8 boats showed because of the tough bite. 2 boats still found good ones and just over 19lb won it. Went out last night where I saw the winners go and caught 3 including a 4.4lb. Somebody can always find them!
    is there a link to results somewhere? I've been trying to find them with no luck. I figured it would be a horrible turn out, but 8 boats is worse than I thought.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    is there a link to results somewhere? I've been trying to find them with no luck. I figured it would be a horrible turn out, but 8 boats is worse than I thought.
    We had lots of calls about the tournament. Was expecting a much better turnout but several very good sticks couldn't get on any good fish.

Today 7/14 - the level is around 12.3' ...getting better but still high for this time of year.....

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Wed 7/18 river is at 11.8 ... time to check the oil level and make some serious plans ... we picked up a spare prop. ...been running a 24p Trophy and it is a great solution for the often skinny spots we find ourselves in. Going to try out a 25p Trophy. Not really looking for more speed - we don't often push it too hard. Maybe a bit better mileage.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    Bite is still tough. Water is still high. Several areas stink bad because of the weeds that got flooded and are rotting as the level comes down. The tournament weights have really come down. I'm fishing pool 14 tomorrow because of a better bite happening in a couple spots I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rips LEGEND View Post
    Bite is still tough. Water is still high. Several areas stink bad because of the weeds that got flooded and are rotting as the level comes down. The tournament weights have really come down. I'm fishing pool 14 tomorrow because of a better bite happening in a couple spots I know of.
    Thanks for the update ... now it seems I'm having trouble with a clanking sound in the big motor .....

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

9. Member
    I had a throttle cable bind up in a tournament last Sunday. Had to turn the key off at 65mph!

I'd be scared of catching a strake and spinning out at that speed ... Yikes!

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

11. Member
    Fished 14 last Sunday, water was ripping! Bite was slow. I turned one at the boat on a spinnerbait, son caught 2 bass and a nice gill off boat docks on Senko. Water is still high!
    1995 Stratos 275 Pro XL
    1995 150 Fastrike
    MG Xi5

12. Member
    Went out on pool 14 on Friday. Found a few weed fish but only 2 keepers, 1 was 3lb. Water was rising again slightly. Got a Tuesday evening tournament this week out of LeClair IA.
    Last edited by Rips LEGEND; 07-22-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Level was under 6' ... we made a decision to keep it on the main river and stay out of the oxbows and backwaters. We know that there are some lanes that we could run but we're here first to break-in the rebuild powerhead and to maybe catch a few - not the other way around. Wanted to put some time on it and we were real pleased with the way she ran .... Wondering why the corps of engineers is draining the pool after months of super high water. So we ran up to Bellvue and back to Savanna with some fishing success - but nothing to brag about.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

14. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Glad the boat is back up and doing good.

Dale Sinclair original

Going out early sat (as long as it doesn't storm) hoping the water isnt to messed up with these heavy rains we are getting here and the ones they got up north!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    Level was under 6' ... we made a decision to keep it on the main river and stay out of the oxbows and backwaters. We know that there are some lanes that we could run but we're here first to break-in the rebuild powerhead and to maybe catch a few - not the other way around. Wanted to put some time on it and we were real pleased with the way she ran .... Wondering why the corps of engineers is draining the pool after months of super high water. So we ran up to Bellvue and back to Savanna with some fishing success - but nothing to brag about.
    Not sure exactly why, but I was told that they are holding water back on some of the northern pools for some work that's going on so it's causing ours to fall some. I'm sure with these monsoon rains that are going on right now the river will be coming back up. Just when the fishing was getting good!

With the recent storms they project a level of 7.55 for today ... don't know if the rise will be temporary or if it is a sign that conditions will improve. We're looking at the calendar right now to plan our next trip. I want to say too, that we have stayed at the Savanna Inn on the last couple of trips and find it 1st class - very much unlike the other offerings. The added cost is well worth it. Honestly, we deserve it. ... just sayin'. Any reports that you can add - fishing or otherwise.??

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

18. Member
    I am going to be fishing pool 13 a few days next week trying to find fish for the 2 kids I'm going to be taking in the IBN qualifying tournament on Sept 9. I had a tournament on pool 12 last weekend and didn't do well. The water was dirty and full of algae and the river had been up and down like a yo-yo. Of course there's a big change in conditions again I'll be dealing with. Probably spend most of the time in Spring lake but I'll have to have a game plan for finding something in pool 14 too since we'll be launching in that pool.

Best of Luck to your young fishermen. As you know, a lot can happen between now and the day of the event ... but your best spots should still hold up ... one here - one there.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200