RT188 Fuel Gauge

It works, but it doesn't seem to work correctly.

It will read Empty long before I'm actually empty. I think I saw a thread about this issue before, but couldn't find it. Who has some insight?

Thanks for the help everyone...this site has been a phenomenal resource for me. Appreciate it!
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

2. Member
    Most bassboat fuel gauges are anything but linear. I reset my Mercury SC and keep track of how many gallons used each trip that wayusing my fuel gage as a rough estimate. I can see through my 2017 tank. I’ll normally burn 5-6 gallons fishing Old Hickory, KY Lake etc... so filling the tank 1/2 gives plenty range. If I’m fishing the local river area I may get three trips out of six gallons? I ha r fished several days on Guntersville on less than 12. I can’t imagine how much running you would have to do to run a whole tank out.

3. Member
    Had a rt188. Gas gauge does not work ( fill it up it would show 3/4 full run a couple hours showed empty ). Dealer told me there was no fix. I didn't believe him .Called Ranger they sent me a Triton fuel gauge that was suppose to be better. It didn't work. Unless something changed last couple years you have to live with it.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Most bassboat fuel gauges are anything but linear. I reset my Mercury SC and keep track of how many gallons used each trip that wayusing my fuel gage as a rough estimate. I can see through my 2017 tank. I’ll normally burn 5-6 gallons fishing Old Hickory, KY Lake etc... so filling the tank 1/2 gives plenty range. If I’m fishing the local river area I may get three trips out of six gallons? I ha r fished several days on Guntersville on less than 12. I can’t imagine how much running you would have to do to run a whole tank out.
    I use the Smartcraft too. As long as I remember to reset it when I fill it, its pretty accurate, within a half a gallon for sure. It's almost dead on.

5. Member
    It just scares me to be 10+ miles from the ramp and see an Empty reading on my gauge, even though I know I'm not even close to empty. I can't seem to get a good enough look at the tank in order to see the fuel level.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by jv83 View Post

It will read Empty long before I'm actually empty. I think I saw a thread about this issue before, but couldn't find it. Who has some insight?

Thanks for the help everyone...this site has been a phenomenal resource for me. Appreciate it!
    At one time, I did a lot of research on this subject. This particular sending unit has a magnetic float ring that slides up and down on a stainless steel rod. This rod is supposed to come within an inch of the bottom of the tank, but on my RT188 it ends 2 inches from the bottom. The SS rod is 8 inches long and There is a 9 inch available but I have not tried it.
    About the time I was working on this, I installed a MercMonitor which measures fuel used so I watch it instead of the fuel gauge. I reset it to zero every time I top the tank off, then check it from time to time to know when to refuel.
    I have some specification and installation sheets, including one sending unit that is adjustable. If you are interested, PM your email address and I will send them.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Based on the size of my tank in my rp190, when mine reads empty, I have just a little less than a quarter tank left based on what it takes to fill it back up. Hope this helps some.

Mine is off also.
    I look at it like ... When it is empty, I still have some reserve gas left.
    Better than the other way around I guess..LOL
    I can see a level in mine if I look hard. I have never had a good accurate boat gauge in all of them I have had.

I work around it and have never ran out of gas
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

The only good gauge in a RT188 is your "Eyeballs"... Looking at the level in the tank.

The gauge and system that Ranger uses is a total waste..

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by jv83 View Post

You should be able to visually see the level of gas in your tank but you will actually have less than it looks. My gauge is essentially reading 1/4 tank less than I have. At full it reads 3/4 and at the 1/4 mark I can put in 10 gallons. It should be better, this is not exactly rocket science and the tank isn't that big, but at least it is consistent.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Crestliiner VT series is the same way and about the same size tank. It's a 21 gallon tank and when mine gets to E I still have about 10 gallons left. I've never got low enough that the gauge doesn't bounce up and down a little as you go. My guess is that if it isn't bouncing a little bit you would be getting pretty low, but that's just a guess.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

12. Member
    Mine showed that I was almost out of gas so I filled it up and it took 18 gallons.

It now reads full and hasn't moved much in the one trip I took after the fill up.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

13. Member
    Back in the day when these translucent tanks came out we took a sharpie and marked a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 on the side or an area you could see when you opened the rear hatch. My old carb V-6’s would go through a tank pretty quick. Plus it was easier to see the fuel once you mixed oil in it. As those older tanks aged they got harder to see through. Priming an old carb motor wasn’t near as bad as one of these modern motors. Then again back then, I was running out of portable 6 gallon tanks with anything less than a V-6.

Boat gas gages are not an exact science. The best I’ve had was the entire Merc SC system including the gas gage. It was pretty darn linear, BassCat uses what ever motor rigged factory wiring harness. That’s more expensive. Most build their own harness and adapt the motor to it.

If you been around boating long you’ve suffered through cleaning paint from the tank from your fuel screens, or the insides of the plastic tank coming apart in your screens from the ethanol. The float sending units suffer the same fates.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 07-07-2018 at 07:47 AM.

I havnt seen a gauge on any brand work correctly yet. As the other merc guys i use my mercmonitor its within a half gallon almost every time its impressive honestly. I have a 21 gallon tank when my fuel used gets around 14 i fill up.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I havnt seen a gauge on any brand work correctly yet. As the other merc guys i use my mercmonitor its within a half gallon almost every time its impressive honestly. I have a 21 gallon tank when my fuel used gets around 14 i fill up.
    The Mercmonitor is on my list of upgrades I never seem to get around to.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

16. Member
    I filled up yesterday after fishing. The SC gauge said I had used 15 gallons. It took 15.2 gallons at the pump. Just need to remember to reset it before I go out friday night.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XS-Skeet View Post
    The only good gauge in a RT188 is your "Eyeballs"... Looking at the level in the tank.

The gauge and system that Ranger uses is a total waste..
    Well said! Been meanining to order a Bluetooth stereo that is same size as fuel ga and just do away with mine.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krw View Post
    Well said! Been meanining to order a Bluetooth stereo that is same size as fuel ga and just do away with mine.
    I've never seen a stereo as small as a fuel guage but there are several that will fit in place of the useless speedometer. We put one of the bigger ones in my neighbors boat a few years ago and he loves it.

19. Member
    In 40 years of owning boats, I've never had a fuel guage that worked. As others have mentioned, Smart monitor. With my setup, I burn 4 gallons on a regular fishing day and 8 gallons if I run and gun all over the place trying to get bit.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

20. Member
    Mine is reads pretty good. I usually just fill it up when it get below half tank. I prefer to leave dock with full tank when I can.
    Semper Fi