Is this normal? Cant be...

Before I post this.. I actually like Phoenix boats. Lots of people say they are great boats and ride really well.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=915641

I've never seen any stress cracking in my 99 187 Elite.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Yes, stress cracks can happen on any boat.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Yes, stress cracks can happen on any boat.
    ... My 210 has a few around the cooler

4. Banned
    Scary to think that you spend that much money and that’s what you can get. My bud just bought a Champ 196 and the topcap is full of stress cracks. His old 190 only has 2 tiny cracks on the entire boat. My 198 has 3 on it, mostly by the center box. Yep, new boats almost scare me.

5. Member
    Any composite will flex. The surface coat is more brittle and cracks instead of flexing. Nature of the beast. If it is not 'pushed' to flex, no cracks. Not saying you should or shouldn't push it. Just saying with enough impact, wave action or power it (can) will happen.

6. Member
    Every boat will have stress cracks. If you notice the majority of them come from rivets or holes where the manufacturer didn't countersink or deburr the edge well and it has a sharp corner. Sharp corners will cause cracking before anything. My 01 champ has them coming off almost every rivet or opening because of this. If you have them near the rub rail, it's likely because of the rivet under the rub rail and no countersink or deburr. Watch the video on Basscat builds, you will notice they use special bits that countersink each drilled hole, hence NO stress cracks. You will see what I am talking about in the first 30 seconds, if you look at any of your boats, you will not likely see a countersunk hole.

https://basscat.com/basscat-media/videos/Construction

Boats flex and the result is stress cracks. Basscat just discovered the problem before anyone that's why they don't see it as often.
    2001 196 Elite- 200hp Optimax

If you don't want stress cracks don't buy a fiberglass rig. Glass materials have changed over the years and even the best materials used can still get em. Run a rig on really rough water consistently and you're sure to get em. Mine never had a single stress crack till I took it out on Lake of the Ozarks. It does now. It's a boat, I got it to use, while I don't abuse it stuff happens. Game on.

8. Member
    My 203 has plenty of em. Battle scars. Purely cosmetic, there is a lot of gel layed up. Not something to worry about.

9. Member
    My 08 198 has none , my 03 188 had none and my 91 184 had none . Neither did my 98 pantera classic or my 98 viper.
    I personally don’t think stress crack are something we should accept , but that being said I take care of my stuff and don’t
    try to over drive my boats . If you beat them , they will break . Drive em right , with champs let the hull cut the waves .

Just depends how hard one is on their rig.

11. Member
    A boat is built like a hard boiled egg, the most brittle part of the boat is the gel. Cracks happen. If you truly don't have any, come on up to Sturgeon Bay and I'll help you out. lol. Stress crack are pretty normal in all boats. Yes even million dollar Sea Ray and Cobalts get them.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

12. Pat Goff
    Go buy a $250,000 offshore rig and come back complaining about cracks. You'd get laughed at.
    I've had boats crack up, had most that didn't, all of them got the snot ran out of them.
    Gel cracks less than flake. White seems to resist better than colors. Just observation, nothing scientific.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>