Thread: Crankin' Reels

Crankin' Reels

For large crankbaits you typically see crankin' rods paired with low-geared reels line the Revo Winch. I'm curious: why don't more people crank with the old school Ambassadeur reels like the 5500? Those reels are built like tanks and have great line capacity. More importantly, many of them are geared lower than any low profile reel on the market today and have an insane amount of torque.

What are your thoughts on this? Are these reels outdated as technology has progressed? Do any of you crank with these old school reels?

2. Member
    I'm not a fan of round reels but if you like them I'm sure it would work great.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

I have a bunch of older round reels. Work good, last a long time.

4. Member
    Got rid of my round reels due to having fat thumbs - could never get in there to slow the spool (nothing wrong with the reels). Will work just fine if you dont have fat thumbs!!
    Nitro Z6 Optimax115 Elite HDI5 Bow 5x Pro Console

5. Member
    I have two that I use for deep cranking. I can throw them both a mile and they have ridiculously low gear ratios so you can deep crank all day without getting worn out. I swapped the handles out for some bigger versions and upgraded the drag washers.

6. Member
    Still own and use Sweden made 5500cs for all my cranking! Reason people don't, they're fricking heavy....I also use a couple real old shimano calcuttas for cranking and spinner baits.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    I have two that I use for deep cranking. I can throw them both a mile and they have ridiculously low gear ratios so you can deep crank all day without getting worn out. I swapped the handles out for some bigger versions and upgraded the drag washers.
    Exactly what I was going to say

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    all my baitcaasters are old Abu Garcia 4600's green ones , black ones and silver ones never upgraded and still fish them all the time if it's not broke don't fix it....tried a few low profiles back in the early 90's and just didn't like the feel so stayed with what I have ...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

9. Member
    I was as big and ABU fan as anyone. Still have a bunch and use them for some things. Back in the 90's I started using the 3600's because they were lighter and faster. When I switched to lefthanded reels, I switched to low profile Shimanos and Lews because ABU had quit making the 3600's.

10. Member
    I have 3 old 5500's that I still use for musky fishing. A few years ago, I tried one for bass fishing. Just wasn't very comfortable, too bulky and heavy compared to the low profile. But they are tanks, and will last forever.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    I guess I'm in the minority as all my reels are 7.0:1. I prefer the faster ratio for cranking as I want to get it deep as fast as possible. Then just slow it way down once I can feel it bouncing off bottom.

But hey that's just me.

12. Member
    Throw Abu's older versions and Shimano TE's for the deep stuff. I personally like round reels cause I can palm em from the top and crank away. Both are built like tanks and will last two lifetimes if maintained. Just a personal preference.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    Throw Abu's older versions and Shimano TE's for the deep stuff. I personally like round reels cause I can palm em from the top and crank away. Both are built like tanks and will last two lifetimes if maintained. Just a personal preference.
    Yup they will last forever if you take care of them. Heck even if you don't they will last pretty well. I have some from I think the 50's I could still use if I wanted. I sorta collect them.

I have one I think from the 70's I retrofitted with ball bearings etc and use it for catfishing. Love that reel.

14. Member
    I have one of the first David Fritts crankin reels from many, many years ago that I still use all the time. I don't think I have ever done anything to it but a little oil here and there. I'm not sure if its a Lew's or Bass Pro shops, but its about 20 years old or more probably. Huge line capacity and I think its a 5.1/1, maybe less. Its the best crankin reet that I own. Out throws all of my newer models.

I prefer newer low profile reels a lot more.

16. Member
    I gave several 5000's, 5000C's and 2500's for my wife to sell on Ebay. Each had their original leather cases and many had the instruction manuals too. They sold like "hotcakes" and for very good prices. Some exceeding $100. I used the money for newer Revo STX's. The Revo is a lighter smoother reel. My old Ambassadors will always have a special place, in my memories, when bass fishing with my father
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

I like my low profile reels also.