Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Update...Rep sent gaskets and seals for my mechanic to pull the head off to check for a slipped cylinder sleeve...at least I think that's what he said. All was good with that. Now new fuel rails are supposed to be delivered probably today. Really getting frustrated with the whole process. Mechanic says that the rep wants him to send the air injectors off to be cleaned and flow tested. Said he was going to put the new fuel rail on first to see if it fixed the problem before sending off the air injectors for another two weeks down. Don, if it seems to you that an obvious possible cause of my problem is the tps or the map, then why in the heck hasn't it even been mentioned by the rep? Doesn't make sense to me.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind that I do not have access to your engine, I do not have eyes on your engine, ears on your engine, etc.

The Servicing Dealer DOES have access to these items (I don't know if they are working hands-on, or by phone with their field rep).

What I may feel could be involved may not match with what they are experiencing, hands-on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I understand Don. They are working by phone with the rep. Mechanic is simply doing whatever the rep tells him to do at this point. I hope to hear today about the fuel rail outcome. It was supposed to have come in yesterday. May not be able to run it today due to the weather however.

Mechanic just called. Put the new rail on and no change. Then said he swapped air injectors from another motor and still no change. boy oh boy

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sure would be interesting to watch CDS Recordings of this engine while the problem is occurring....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Have they tried the TPS? I was having similar 'missing' symptoms last month and it ended up being the TPS. My service center basically told me to hope it breaks down because they couldn't figure it out then Don said it's probably the TPS (as he did in an earlier post for you) and it fixed it right up for me 2 days later.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

They have not tried a new TPS. I've been told that the computer doesn't show a problem with it. I'm getting to the point where I'm beyond frustrated with this. My boat was in the shop 5 different weeks over the summer trying to decipher the problem. I would get it and use it on the weekends then take it back. It has been there now for 5 weeks and they still have no idea what's causing the problem. Have re-flashed the ECM, checked cylinder sleeves and replaced the fuel rail this week as well as tried a different set of air injectors.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wish you were here... I'd have slapped known-good units in place of the MAP and TPS, and we would have known on those items some time ago.

No guarantees- but it sure sounds like something has been overlooked.

My mechanic is a good guy and has been great helping me out in times when I've needed something done fast. I don't want to burn that bridge or seem that I am trying to make him look bad. At this point he's simply doing what the rep is telling him to do. But at some point, soon, I'm going to make a call to Mercury. 2017 motor is useless to me if it won't run properly. It's caused me to miss or have to fish out of another boat in tourneys several times already. Including the district championship last weekend on the Mississippi.

I fully agree Don
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Wish you were here... I'd have slapped known-good units in place of the MAP and TPS, and we would have known on those items some time ago.

No guarantees- but it sure sounds like something has been overlooked.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwoodfin View Post
    They have not tried a new TPS. I've been told that the computer doesn't show a problem with it. I'm getting to the point where I'm beyond frustrated with this. My boat was in the shop 5 different weeks over the summer trying to decipher the problem. I would get it and use it on the weekends then take it back. It has been there now for 5 weeks and they still have no idea what's causing the problem. Have re-flashed the ECM, checked cylinder sleeves and replaced the fuel rail this week as well as tried a different set of air injectors.
    That's what I'm trying to tell you... in my situation the computer wasn't saying it was the TPS either. It was an intermittent thing. I would insist that they replace the TPS and MAP as Don has described.

I understand that. I've mentioned the TPS several times but I'm always told that it's not the problem. But I feel that it very well is the problem. I just have tried to be nice and not ruffle any feathers up to this point. About ready to "insist" as you say though.
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    That's what I'm trying to tell you... in my situation the computer wasn't saying it was the TPS either. It was an intermittent thing. I would insist that they replace the TPS and MAP as Don has described.

13. Member
    It's your money and your boat. If they don't have one in stock I would just order one from Don and install it yourself.

Update....the last two times that my boat was taken out and ran we were unable to get it to "act up" like it was doing. Don't know why, what or if anything was done to cause this "fix". Mechanic mentioned a possibility of the temperature drop having an effect?? Regardless, if its not displaying the symptoms then its hard to diagnose and fix. So, for now my boats having some fiberglass work done on it and I guess I'll see what happens when the new year starts and I get it back out and running.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12