Fastest way to sand fairing compound?

I made my own fairing compound from epoxy resin, colloidal silica and milled fibers, I had to fix several cracks and chips prepping a boat bottom. Now that I’ve got all the cracks and chips ground out and filled, I’m having the hardest time sanding this stuff. I literally sanded for an hour straight and basically have 2 small spots done. This is with a 4” palm sander and 60 grit paper. I then figured out I can hand sand this stuff faster, but is very labor intensive. I’m contemplating a variable speed belt sander but would be impossible to work around strakes and keep they’re shape. Any ideas?

Sounds like your compound is really hard....sounds like hand sanding may be the safest with that aggressive of a grit...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

You likely didn't use enough filler vs. resin - the filler is what makes the fairing sand-able (wood flour works great for this, mixed to a peanut butter consistency). Lesson learned... always mix practice batches, let cure, and try sanding prior to committing to actual repair. I can empathize - had to grind away at rock-hard resin on REALLY large projects before, and it's NOT fun.

Try using an oscillating tool with a fairly aggressive grit grinding-rasp attachment to knock the hard filler down quickly. It's small enough to be super controllable. But it may get clogged up fast, so prepare to have several attachments available.

Knock it down with 36 grit 5" disc and then skim it with 3M marine filler. Save a lot of headaches and also you will stand a better chance of getting it fair.
    Proud Army Dad