Stradic CI4+, Sustain FI, or Exsence?

I probably need to get a new egg beater and had considered the Stradic CI4+ but if I order the newer Sustain FI from Digitaka it comes in around $230 which is the price of the Stradic. Or should I pony up and get the Excence which would be around $420 from Digitaka. Anybody here with experience using the new Sustain or the Excence? I've read some say the Excence is actually smoother than the Stella FI and they share the same body with the Excense having a lighter spool, seems the Stella has a coating on the drive gear that wears down and becomes "grainy" Also read a few saying the new FJ Stella is nothing to get excited about vs the previous FI model.

2. Member
    I love the exsence , it’s very smooth . To say it’s smoother that the Stella I would say no, it’s very smooth and a lot smoother than the sustain. It actually impressed me under load it’s very smooth. I got it for only $350 so I can’t complain!

3. Member
    Long video but comparison of Exsence vs Stella FI

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    That looks like the older model Stella...

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Long video but comparison of Exsence vs Stella FI

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I had 4 Exsences 3000's, traded them in for 4 Stella 3000 FJ's. The Stella is smoother, up to you whether it's worth the extra price.

I broke in all 4 of the Stella's right up north this year with 5lb smallies, they handled them great. Had all four spooled up with 8lb Tatsu, casted a mile and fought fish great.

This is my first time owning Stella's, so I don't know how they compared to the previous FI's...
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 07-05-2018 at 07:07 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    That looks like the older model Stella...
    It is, the FI.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Good luck with your purchase.

It is, the FI.

8. Member

Good luck with your purchase.
    Having both what pros and cons did you notice with the Exsence vs the Stella FJ?

9. Member
    I had 4 Exsences 3000's, traded them in for 4 Stella 3000 FJ's. The Stella is smoother, up to you whether it's worth the extra price.

I broke in all 4 of the Stella's right up north this year with 5lb smallies, they handled them great. Had all four spooled up with 8lb Tatsu, casted a mile and fought fish great.

This is my first time owning Stella's, so I don't know how they compared to the previous FI's...
    I might pony up for a Stella FJ with possibly a Megabass Destroyer. Only thing is $1,500 truck insurance coming this month, $450 boat insurance next month, then my personal property taxes are due by October. So if I decide to go high end it'll be fall before I can commit to a purchase like that. With the JDM Sustain at $230 I'd throw it on a Falcon Cara as that's my normal rod arsenal but something higher up deserves something better.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    The only difference I noticed were the Exsence's felt slightly "hollow" and not as "fluid" as the Stella FJ. Hard to describe it... I think the Stella's have one more bearing than the Exsence's too. I'd go to your local Shimano dealer and see if they have both in stock, or order both reels from TW and return them after to feel them both in hand/side by side.

Don't get me wrong the Exsence's were smooth, performed well and were awesome reels, I'm just a gear junkie and want the best equipment available. I've got all four Stella FJ's on Shimano/G.Loomis Conquest 842S's. They're sweet spinning combos!

Having both what pros and cons did you notice with the Exsence vs the Stella FJ?

Stradic Ci4 over the Sustain there isn't enough improvement to justify the increase in price for me.

12. Member
    I agree

I've got three Stradic Ci4 2500. I can't see paying more than that for a reel, but that's a personal choice. The Stradic's are smooth, have good drags, and cast well with the right line.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Quote Originally Posted by raisinrat View Post
    Stradic Ci4 over the Sustain there isn't enough improvement to justify the increase in price for me.
    Yep...the Sustain does have two additional bearings but they are on the main shaft and don't make that much difference. The drag is better on the Sustain but a cheap upgrade and the Ci4 drag is equal. The body material on the Ci4 is actually better IMO then the aluminum body on the Sustain. Not enough difference to justify the additional $70 bucks.

Exsence all the way

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Exsence all the way
    Over a Stella FJ?

17. Member
    Was in the same boat. Sold my Sustains for Stella FI’s instead of Excense. Highly recommend Stella. Will last you 10 plus years doing very little maintenance as long as you dont trash them but can solidly put them through their paces. There weren’t enough changes / differences for me to regret getting the FI over the new FJ so I’m happy as can be. Stella’s all the way.
    2019 Ranger Z520L Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke

18. Member
    Stella’s are awesome !

19. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DChiWildcats View Post
    Was in the same boat. Sold my Sustains for Stella FI’s instead of Excense. Highly recommend Stella. Will last you 10 plus years doing very little maintenance as long as you dont trash them but can solidly put them through their paces. There weren’t enough changes / differences for me to regret getting the FI over the new FJ so I’m happy as can be. Stella’s all the way.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    Stella’s are awesome !