2014 Sho 225HP Growing Oil with higher hours

I have done a little reading on this subject and was wondering how many people may have had the same situation. I bought a 2003 skeeter with a 2014 225 SHO on it. When I changed the oil in the fall for winter storage everything looked good. I've only put about 15 hours on It since then. I checked my oil the other day and i'm about 2 -3 inches over full now. Motor has about 400 hours on it now I did some idling but not excessive. I usually let it warm up and when I stop I let it idle just to cool a bit before I kill the motor. Anyone have any suggestions/ Ideas on this matter?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Member
    You need to change it and fill it between the the low and high marks and when gets to the full you need to change it again. I personally don’t think they will ever completely stop making oil.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    I highly doubt your engine has that much fuel in the oil. Personally I believe its from shops and people doing the oil change incorrectly.
    These engines seem to trap oil when filling them and most people over fill. The very next time they check the oil it's high and its usually after being on the water
    after they have towed the boat back home with the motor trimed up, they trim the motor back down to park the boat in the garage and check it
    a few hours later...

When filling it you really need trim it up and let it sit for a half day,
    trim it back down and let it sit for half day and then check it. It's an agonizing process...

If you have a pump then suck the excess oil out of it. Also remember to follow that same procedure anytime you want to check the oil. Trim up
    and let it sit for a day, trim back down and let it sit for the day and check the oil level at the end of the day.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    I highly doubt your engine has that much fuel in the oil. Personally I believe its from shops and people doing the oil change incorrectly.
    These engines seem to trap oil when filling them and most people over fill. The very next time they check the oil it's high and its usually after being on the water
    after they have towed the boat back home with the motor trimed up, they trim the motor back down to park the boat in the garage and check it
    a few hours later...

When filling it you really need trim it up and let it sit for a half day,
    trim it back down and let it sit for half day and then check it. It's an agonizing process...

If you have a pump then suck the excess oil out of it. Also remember to follow that same procedure anytime you want to check the oil. Trim up
    and let it sit for a day, trim back down and let it sit for the day and check the oil level at the end of the day.
    I agree except half a day is a little excessive unless maybe your in near freezing temperatures so the oil is slower to drain. I find 20 minutes is all you need. I trim up all the way, keep it there for 10-15 minutes then trim it down to level and wait 5-10 minutes. Works great.

5. Member
    Agreed it is excessive, just my way of saying go do something else in the meantime lol.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    You need to change it and fill it between the the low and high marks and when gets to the full you need to change it again. I personally don’t think they will ever completely stop making oil.
    I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Mine made oil till around 17 hrs and not a drop after the 20hr change thru the 100hr change. I just changed it at 160hrs because it was over full. Definitely made quite a bit. I will say, I've done a LOT of idling lately with the offshore fishing. To the point I thought I was pushing it to far and evidently I was

7. Member
    That’s what I was told by a reputable mechanic if it starts making once it gets to the full mark change it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    That’s what I was told by a reputable mechanic if it starts making once it gets to the full mark change it.
    That's my plan. The pumping a little out doesn't seem right to me. Has to be bad on bearings and stuff with diluted oil

9. Member
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to change the oil and take it to the lake and run it hard and see how she does! Tightlines!

10. Member
    So mine is making oil and the dealer just told me I am idling to much probably. They checked my hours and since the power head change 6 months ago and after the break in period almost half my time is at idle. Should I not warm it up? Idle through no wake zones? Look at electronics? The point is if this is the case Yamaha has made a motor that does not work for the fresh water fisherman. They also informed me you should only put about 6.5 quarts of oil in according to the Yamaha service tech. 7.1 is what is the written spec but don’t do it?????. No codes were indicated no visual issues just monitor it and I guess change the oil every time it goes over full? Well last time it took about 4-5 hours to do that. I am damn sure not going to change the oil that often. Bottom line is I have no faith any of these manufactures know what they are doing except printing money. Any suggestions?

11. Member
    I purchased a 1998 Yamaha Sport 225 HP 4 stroke to re-power my bass boat in 1998. No one told me about 4 strokes making oil, and there was nothing in the manual. I drove that motor and only checked the oil once per year. Never had a problem and the engine is still running for the new owner.......and I know I had quite a few hours on that motor!

I now have a new bass boat with a new 250 SHO on it. I haven't checked the oil yet, and don't plan on it. I'm going to run the motor just like my last one. I'm going to idle when I want to graph, and I'll run it as hard as the water will let me. I spend a lot of time in big water so it's impossible to go full throttle every time I move from one spot to another. I'm planning to have my local dealer do the first 20 hour oil change within the next week or so. I'll let him tell me about the oil & gas.

I really think this paranoia regarding making oil gets blown way out of proportion. Maybe not, but I don't believe gas in the oil was the failure of the earlier thrust bearings issues. I believe that was a design flaw and has now been corrected.

M

12. ZO6
    +1

13. Member
    I idle a lot as well. When I'm able to up run, not necessarily wide open, just a sustained 4500 rpm or more it helps. Mine never made oil doing this. It did make some about 120 hours by idling a lot and not running it. Just get to get the engine temp up thru and thru and that takes a little time running. Getting the temp up in mind isn't just about the rings seating, its about evaporating the gas out of the crankcase.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

14. Member
    Has anyone changed the oil by draining correctly and putting in exactly the required amount and then checked the motor and seen the dipstick registering too much oil? Had anyone successfully changed the measured oil level by any measures amount by manipulating the motor up, motor down, motor level, etc variables?

All I know is this, if you check it the same way each time, it should measure the gain or loss of fluid volume unless there are some hidden reservoirs or something.
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

15. Member
    I change and check mine with motor level.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

16. Member
    I changed my on oil, by draining, not pumping, tilt up and down and let it drain for a while. Then check after the 1st outing, always between the marks, so no over filling doing it this way.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4