09 Triton TR21x3

Hey guys I just got a 09 TR21x3 and with a 250 pro xs I finally got to run it WOT yesterday and the water temp was 90 and air temp was 95. The below is my setup. My question is what prop should I be looking at? Would a 25 tempest or 26 fury help any?should I get the 25 fury worked and add cup? what about a 25 or 26 fury 4?

2009 TR21x3 w/ 2013 250 pro XS
    25 fury (has scratches and marks from previous owner getting in gravel bar)
    10" atlas jackplate set at #8 on gauge. 2.5" above transom
    Dual 12ft talons
    3/4 tank of Gas
    66 mph @ 5800 rpms
    19% Slip
    Holeshot about 6 seconds.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

2. Member
    Dual talons and hot weather that’s not so bad. If you are going to run that hull pretty loaded I would expect the best speed with a 25 tempest and the best all around performance with a fury 4 but you definitely wouldn’t need the 26.

3. Member
    The 19% slip seams really high or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    Hey guys I just got a 09 TR21x3 and with a 250 pro xs I finally got to run it WOT yesterday and the water temp was 90 and air temp was 95. The below is my setup. My question is what prop should I be looking at? Would a 25 tempest or 26 fury help any?should I get the 25 fury worked and add cup? what about a 25 or 26 fury 4?

2009 TR21x3 w/ 2013 250 pro XS
    25 fury (has scratches and marks from previous owner getting in gravel bar)
    10" atlas jackplate set at #8 on gauge. 2.5" above transom
    Dual 12ft talons
    3/4 tank of Gas
    66 mph @ 5800 rpms
    19% Slip
    Holeshot about 6 seconds.
    2.5 above transom does not help us help you. Need to know the pad to prop accurately. Do you have all the plugs out of the Fury?
    It is really bad, I would start by dropping the motor 1/4 in at a time, and at each position start with full up trim and tweek it down very slowly until you find the best trim for the highest speed, note the rpm at that position. Again drop the motor and repeat. do this until you find the height and trim that works the best for top speed and take notes. I think you will find a spot where the rpm may be lower and the top speed higher which means the prop slip is lower at that point
    Once you have a solid baseline doing this call Ronnie Gilbert at 337 380 1437 and discuss it with him...…..He is the Guru with Fury props on performance hulls
    I used to be a diehard tempest guy, not anymore, He will get a far better holeshot and a little more speed than the best in the business can get out of a Tempest. He also gets them to run a little higher and makes them less weight sensitive as well. I would stay with the 25 Fury, Ronnie has told me a prop that is pitched/cupped up will be a better prop than one that is pitched down
    I would bet you can get that rig under 12% following those steps and a four second holeshot. The poles are a killer of performance, about like losing 30 to 35 horsepower. I will not put them on my boats for that reason, just not worth it for something that I would only use a few times a year. My spot lock does a better job than poles 98% of the time anyway
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-06-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    2.5 above transom does not help us help you. Need to know the pad to prop accurately. Do you have all the plugs out of the Fury?
    It is really bad, I would start by dropping the motor 1/4 in at a time, and at each position start with full up trim and tweek it down very slowly until you find the best trim for the highest speed, note the rpm at that position. Again drop the motor and repeat. do this until you find the height and trim that works the best for top speed and take notes. I think you will find a spot where the rpm may be lower and the top speed higher which means the prop slip is lower at that point
    Once you have a solid baseline doing this call Ronnie Gilbert at 337 380 1437 and discuss it with him...…..He is the Guru with Fury props on performance hulls
    I used to be a diehard tempest guy, not anymore, He will get a far better holeshot and a little more speed than the best in the business can get out of a Tempest. He also gets them to run a little higher and makes them less weight sensitive as well. I would stay with the 25 Fury, Ronnie has told me a prop that is pitched/cupped up will be a better prop than one that is pitched down
    I would bet you can get that rig under 12% following those steps and a four second holeshot. The poles are a killer of performance, about like losing 30 to 35 horsepower. I will not put them on my boats for that reason, just not worth it for something that I would only use a few times a year. My spot lock does a better job than poles 98% of the time anyway
    Thank you for the reply, I will try and get a measurement today. The talons I haven't seen any loss in holeshot from before I put them on and on top end I only loss 1 mph. So I'm not sure they are making a huge difference. Now the prop on the other hand is rough. I think when it got in the gravel bar it lost most of its cup out the prop. Previous owner said it used to take like 3 seconds and it was on pad. I'm gonna try and borrow a 25 fury from my buddy that's not beat up and see what kind of difference it makes.

Start with that. Makes a big difference. Like LPugh says, need real measurements. I have a 10" Atlas but no gauge. Even with gauge we'd need to know what holes motor is mounted. I mounted mine on lowest holes for maximum height. Might not work for other hulls because I cant get lower than 3" below.

Thank you for the reply, I will try and get a measurement today. The talons I haven't seen any loss in holeshot from before I put them on and on top end I only loss 1 mph. So I'm not sure they are making a huge difference. Now the prop on the other hand is rough. I think when it got in the gravel bar it lost most of its cup out the prop. Previous owner said it used to take like 3 seconds and it was on pad. I'm gonna try and borrow a 25 fury from my buddy that's not beat up and see what kind of difference it makes.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Start with that. Makes a big difference. Like LPugh says, need real measurements. I have a 10" Atlas but no gauge. Even with gauge we'd need to know what holes motor is mounted. I mounted mine on lowest holes for maximum height. Might not work for other hulls because I cant get lower than 3" below.
    Mine is mounted on 2nd hole from Top. I will get a measurement today. Still though turning the fuy to 5800 in 90+ degree water I will more than likely be on the limiter in he spring and fall? Correct?

Not necessarily. Prop repair will restore true pitch and balance which may reduce RPM's and slip and increase speed and efficiency.

Mine is mounted on 2nd hole from Top. I will get a measurement today. Still though turning the fuy to 5800 in 90+ degree water I will more than likely be on the limiter in he spring and fall? Correct?

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

9. Member
    If you reduce slip on 25 fury you may find you are out of the recommended wot rpm range with that Pro XS in the su. You may want to also look into a 24 fury especially for hot weather. Tourney loaded dual talons and a full livewell on that Cadillac of a rig will be a lot for the 25 pitch in hot weather. You will definitely know after running a known good 25 though. I have a very similar hull 21X2 no poles though and run a 25 tempest at 74 mph and 6050 rpm loaded light can still hit 71-72 two people loaded. Also run a 24 fury 4 at 72 at 6000 rpm. Tempest for me liked 3 3/8 ptp and fury 4 3 3/4.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    If you reduce slip on 25 fury you may find you are out of the recommended wot rpm range with that Pro XS in the su. You may want to also look into a 24 fury especially for hot weather. Tourney loaded dual talons and a full livewell on that Cadillac of a rig will be a lot for the 25 pitch in hot weather. You will definitely know after running a known good 25 though. I have a very similar hull 21X2 no poles though and run a 25 tempest at 74 mph and 6050 rpm loaded light can still hit 71-72 two people loaded. Also run a 24 fury 4 at 72 at 6000 rpm. Tempest for me liked 3 3/8 ptp and fury 4 3 3/4.
    Do you have a Hydro plate Jtreed99 or manual plate? What are you RPMs in the summer vs spring/winter?

11. Member
    Manual plate so I don’t change props often. Generally keep the fury 4 on for the increased handling, holeshot, and low speed planing ability. Numbers above were spring ~60 degree air temp numbers but even at 90 degrees I can just bump 70 with either prop loaded. I never went on a speed run in the dead of winter.

12. Member
    Manual plate so I don’t change props often. Generally keep the fury 4 on for the increased handling, holeshot, and low speed planing ability. Numbers above were spring ~60 degree air temp numbers but even at 90 degrees I can just bump 70 with either prop loaded. I never went on a speed run in the dead of winter.
    How is the handling and hole shot on the 25 tempest?

13. Member
    It is actually quite good as well. The only time it even seems sluggish on holeshot is if I have everything I own, a good sized buddy, 53 gallons of gas, 4 agm 31 batteries, and 42 gallons of livewell water. It seems to be at least 2 mph faster than the fury 4 in all conditions/loads. If I fished more tourneys I would probably be tempest full time. The fury 4 pops up unbelievably quick regardless of load and allows me to plane out my 21.5 ft boat at only 22 mph (tempest falls off 27-29) so when my wife and baby are with they prefer it and I do a lot more short runs than long runs and the Tennessee river isn’t always conducive to running wot so I concede the few mph for the other advantages.

14. Member
    It is actually quite good as well. The only time it even seems sluggish on holeshot is if I have everything I own, a good sized buddy, 53 gallons of gas, 4 agm 31 batteries, and 42 gallons of livewell water. It seems to be at least 2 mph faster than the fury 4 in all conditions/loads. If I fished more tourneys I would probably be tempest full time. The fury 4 pops up unbelievably quick regardless of load and allows me to plane out my 21.5 ft boat at only 22 mph (tempest falls off 27-29) so when my wife and baby are with they prefer it and I do a lot more short runs than long runs and the Tennessee river isn’t always conducive to running wot so I concede the few mph for the other advantages.
    I got cha, I'm gonna try a 25 fury4 this coming week and see how it does. If it does good I'm gonna buy it. Anything has to be better than the one that's on it now lol

15. Member
    70 to 71 is what most people get for WOT and the prop needs to be deeper than most Tritons run.

16. Member
    well I ran a 25 fury4 yesterday and @ 5800 rpms I hit 70 mph with 90 degree water temp and 80 degree air temps. holeshot was great, prolly going to a 26p for early spring and late fall. I think the ol Fat girl can get 73-74 in cool weather.

Doesn't that motor have 6100 rev limit. If so you are probably pretty close where you are.
    You are getting close now. Call Ronnie Gilbert (337 380 1437) and talk to him about the Fury props. if he sets one up for you will be a happy camper and you will slip numbers under 10%, under ideal conditions maybe 8. Ronnie is the Guru on Fury props
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Doesn't that motor have 6100 rev limit. If so you are probably pretty close where you are.
    You are getting close now. Call Ronnie Gilbert (337 380 1437) and talk to him about the Fury props. if he sets one up for you will be a happy camper and you will slip numbers under 10%, under ideal conditions maybe 8. Ronnie is the Guru on Fury props
    I'm not sure I'm gonna keep the 25 fury. I'm gonna keep the 25 fury4 for summer time and look for a 26 fury or 26 fury 4 for early spring and fall.

19. Member
    I would wait until cool weather before spending money on another prop. If your rev limit is 6100 you may be just bumping the limiter in cool weather at 74 so you may have managed to find the unicorn year round perfect prop. I still think for pure speed the tempest would be slightly faster on your rig but I highly doubt you will find one that makes you overall happier than the fury 4.

20. Member
    I would wait until cool weather before spending money on another prop. If your rev limit is 6100 you may be just bumping the limiter in cool weather at 74 so you may have managed to find the unicorn year round perfect prop. I still think for pure speed the tempest would be slightly faster on your rig but I highly doubt you will find one that makes you overall happier than the fury 4.
    Jtreed99 I'm not big on turning one to the limiter. I like to stay in that 5800-5900 rpm range at WOT, that's why I was thinking about the 26 fury4. However that atlas plate makes a big difference getting it dialed In though.