Trailer getting tired - more issues than I expected. Need advice

I've recently started a few threads on trailer repairs/replacing parts. The deeper I get into this, the more I'm thinking I may just need a new trailer. I have no idea though how long these are supposed to last. My trailer is a 2008 Marine Master painted trailer that came with my 2008 Triton 18x2. I'm the original owner of the boat and trailer.
    The trailer has only seen salty roads twice and it's always stored inside a garage (which is temperature controlled in the winter.)

Here's what I know I need to replace at the moment:

UFP 1-60 brake actuator
    New bunks

Replacing these items was a no brainer for me as they are relatively inexpensive and easy to do even myself. But here's where it gets tougher. I just inspected the bunk mounts on my trailer. There is extensive rust on the bottom of the mounts. The paint is removed and a layer of rust has formed and mostly broken away from the underside of the bracket/mount.

The trailer is 10 years old. Is this normal wear for a 10 year old trailer? Is the rust probably just surface rust?

I don't know how much trailers cost but I may have one priced up. I'll get the next one coated with that gatorhyde stuff. My Dad's old ranger trailer had that coating and it he never had any rust issues.

Would appreciate advice, and also if someone knows a good BBC sponsor that sells trailers.

Thanks!
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Member
    I priced out a trailer for a 96 astro. 4500 standard trailer and a semi custom was closer to 6. My boat motor and trailer was 7800.

I opted to replace everything and upgrade from drum to disc brakes. I ordered parts and hired a local shop to do about half the labor.

Ended up spending about 3k and am happy with decision.

New LED lights, fenders bunks, breaks, bearings and actuator. I didn’t paint my trailer but probably should have.

3. Member
    I’m getting a quote for an identical MM trailer but with gatorhyde. If I knew the bunk mounts were structurally fine, I’d just get the new brake actuator and bunks but the amount of rust concerns me. But it does seem like lots of people get more than 10 years out of their trailer. But maybe not.

10 years seems short. I sold a '86 I purchased w/boat in'16, no issues. Had another '85, sold w/boat in 2005. Only did basic maintenance, and new wiring once. My Rangertrail is 13 yrs, no issues. Is your trailer channel, or boxed ? Boxed have some issues with water and rust from the inside out. Aftermarket trailers, I suggest Tennessee Trailer.

5. Member
    Mine is rectangled tube so boxed?

6. Member
    The main trailer seems fine. It’s the bunk mounts that seem super rusted.

7. Joe4d
    lift boat off trailer and store somehow, grind the rust away with a wire wheel, and see if they are still strong, if not cut the bunk supports off with a grinder, buy generic bolt on bunk supports . Wire wheel rest of trailer, hit with corroseal, prime with rustoleum primer, paint with rustoleum..
    Lets see I fished almost exclusively brackish water pretty regular from 1993- 1997, then mostly fresh from 97-2000, then brackish till about 2005, boat sat till about 2008 till I sold.
    So over all painted trailer was in fine shape after 15 years. However during that time, I painted it twice and undercoated the inside of the channel steel. Also I replaced the welded on bunks with bolt on.
    WHich is also why I would NEVER EVER EVER buy a painted steel trailer, dont care how many gator this that or the others they put on it.For a trailer stored and used like yours IMO inexcusible for it to be in shape it is. And no way I would turn around and buy the same type of trailer.
    Either do the labor yourself and get another 10 years out of yours for a couple hundred bucks or buy aluminum at best or at least a galvanized,,, Galvinized is ok if you spot treat it once a year

8. mikesxpress
    Aluminium trailer with SS brakes. I will never own another mild steel trailer.

9. Member
    Who sells aluminum bass boat trailers?

10. mikesxpress

Boat trailers need attention also. Too many owners just assume they last forever, lol !! I needed a new fender and bunks and also found I needed new spring hangers and bushings and bolts. SO, a new trailer was around $5 grand. I ordered a new fender, lifted the boat off the trailer, (after the fender came in) then decided to just re build everything. Striped everything off it and had it sand blasted and Powder Coated ! Best idea ever !! No more rust, easy to clean, always looked great !! All told, with fender, springs, bolts bushings and Powder Coating $3 grand.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. mikesxpress
    Steel trailers are an ongoing maintenance circle.

13. Member
    Buy a galvanized or aluminum trailer DO NOT but a tubular trailer, they only paint the outside. I had a 5 year old trailer snap in two in 2004....rusted from the inside out....and did not even realize it. I went and bought a gal. channel steel trailer in 2004, looks like new today, not a speck of rust.

14. Member
    Update: finally got around to making and replacing my bunks. I was very happy to see that the rust wasnt all that bad at all. The paint layer cake off on the bottom of the bunk brackets, which is why it looked like a lot of metal to me. The top were surprisingly barely rusted. I applied two coats of some clear anti-rust paint on the brackets and installed my new bunks. One of the old bunks was sonrottrd it cracked into two when I put my foot on it. Guess it was time to replace them, lol!

just ordered a new UFP Inner brake a60 assembly and a new Fulton f2 winch. Trailer should be adequately refreshed once I get those installed. Very glad I didn’t rush to get a new trailer. They are super pricey!

15. Member
    You will get a few more years out of it until those brackets really get bad.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66