Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

300 V8 Pro XS vs 300R V8

Say both have the TM2 lower unit...What are the differences between the two motors? I know the 300R will rev up to 6400 and the Pro XS only 6200.

-6400 Rev limit
    -Solid lowers/stiffer or solid uppers
    -Single ram trim with trim remote pump mounted inside the boat
    -Graphics
    I believe the racing is the only model with an internal oil cooler as well

Good info...Thank you

4. Member
    Plus the R has a special short runner intake, sportmaster lower or 5.44 gear case option. It also has a shorter warranty and costs more.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    -6400 Rev limit
    -Solid lowers/stiffer or solid uppers
    -Single ram trim with trim remote pump mounted inside the boat
    -Graphics
    I believe the racing is the only model with an internal oil cooler as well

Would there be any benefit to purchasing the 300 R over the 300 XS for a bass boat? The 200 RPM maybe equates to 1-3 mph? If both motors are tuned to 10% over the decal both should put out about 330 HP....That is the big "if" though...It could be that the 300 R is tuned to approximately 330 HP while the 300 XS is really close to being a true 300.

I've had several G2 250 HO motors and those are definitely tuned to about 275 HP...Very strong motors...I've been told that the standard 300 (non HO model) is actually a weak 300 only putting out a small bit more HP than the 250 HO...Not exactly apples to apples but that's my concern when comparing the R vs the XS in the 300 HP class.

Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    Plus the R has a special short runner intake, sportmaster lower or 5.44 gear case option. It also has a shorter warranty and costs more.
    They come with a 3 year warranty now which is the same as the XS. The 5.44 case is also available on a standard 300 20 inch too.

7. Member
    Just to be clear the tm is the only option for xs and the r has all three. Is the extended warranty options the same?

Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    They come with a 3 year warranty now which is the same as the XS. The 5.44 case is also available on a standard 300 20 inch too.

8. Banned
    If the intake runners are shorter then the low end torque won't be as strong though it'll make more power at higher rpm hence the higher rpm limit. My question is the tilt mechanism a single speed on the R like the 150hp 4-stroke or does it have a slower trim range like a traditional 3-ram?
    Last edited by Wheelman; 07-06-2018 at 04:50 PM.

I believe the R motors come with 3 years of factory warranty with the option to purchase an additional 3 years...

I believe the XS motors come with 3 years of factory warranty with the option to purchase an additional 5 years...

And the 2atroke racing models only had 2 year warranty...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    300R has different intakes, cams, and rev range, as well as options for single- or tri-ram mid, and the 3 gearcase style options. Once into the gearcase options there’s different cambers available.

12. Member
    What is your source for the different cams?

Quote Originally Posted by HydroSkreamin View Post
    300R has different intakes, cams, and rev range, as well as options for single- or tri-ram mid, and the 3 gearcase style options. Once into the gearcase options there’s different cambers available.

13. Member
    Mercury Racing website states “Mercury Racing custom intake cam profile”

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboards/engines/300r/
    Last edited by HydroSkreamin; 07-10-2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Include website link

14. Banned
    Picture 4 of 21 says intake cam profile is different...

15. Member
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Picture 4 of 21 says intake cam profile is different...

16. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroSkreamin View Post
    300R. Once into the gearcase options there’s different cambers available.
    I know what camber is with a car tire but never heard of it in a lower units. Can you explain ?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    I know what camber is with a car tire but never heard of it in a lower units. Can you explain ?
    My understanding is it counteracts steering torque from prop rotation and reduces drag from not having the typical input correction needed making the boat more stable at high speeds and potentially faster. Like the purpose of a trim tab, but that isn't in the water at these speeds and this is on a larger scale being the skeg.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US6558213B1/en
    Last edited by Wheelman; 07-14-2018 at 08:04 AM.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I believe he is referring to the Cast-In Torque Tab (that is built into the skeg, on the STB side).

Some "call" this a "cambered skeg".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Banned
    Here's a visual, it's only offered on the sport master gear cases designed for 85+ mph boats and the camber is dependent on the prop rotation I believe as they show two options.
    http://www.mercuryracing.com/rumor-mills-r-black-white/

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Here's a visual, it's only offered on the sport master gear cases designed for 85+ mph boats and the camber is dependent on the prop rotation I believe as they show two options.
    http://www.mercuryracing.com/rumor-mills-r-black-white/
    Not accurate.

While it is available on the new Racing 4-stroke Sportmaster, "cambered" skegs have been available for years on a variety of other gearcases (including, but not necessarily limited to the Gen-1 TM, Gen-2 (aka: Wingmaster) TM, 3L Sportmaster).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast