Replacing floor in my 1996 Javelin

I knew I had a couple of soft spots on the floor area but I’m still fishing at this time and I really wasn’t ready to replace it yet, but what started as cleaning turned into demolition. It turns out the whole floor area is bad, I was literally walking on the foam and braces. I’ve done some reading and going to try to leave a nice edge all The was around and deck on top of that. I’ll post pics if I can and try not to ask stupid questions as I go....I’ve never attempted fiberglass so it should be interesting.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter_72; 07-07-2018 at 11:31 PM.

2. Member
    YouTube has a ton of information. Make sure to encapsulate the new marine plywood with resin & hardener so it doesn't rot. Additionally, lay 2-3 layers of 1.5 oz chop strand mat (CSM) across the top and at the union of the existing deck and the new wood. It would be a good idea to check on the integrity of your stringers while the floor is out too.

3. Member
    Thanks for the advice xpressyoself!

I removed all of the rotten floor and I have found one stringer that is bad in the front that needs to be replaced. The foam is still very solid and I'm thinking about filling in the voids while it's uncovered. Earlier today I picked up the fiberglass mat and resin, my plywood should be at the lumber yard monday or Tuesday (had to order it). I'm hoping to have it done before the weekend, the wife and I have a house rented on Toledo Bend and it would be pretty sad to just look at the water all weekend!

4. Member
    That would be a crying shame! Good luck and I hope you land a hammer with that new floor.

5. Member
    I cut out the rotted stringer and replaced it with a piece of 1x8 oak that I had in my shed, and also got the plywood fitted for the floor. I have to trim a few edges to give room for the fiberglass but the fit is pretty good IMO.

Good progress! Make sure you radius all of the edges of the plywood before wrapping with fiberglass cloth - it won't lay flat on a square edge and you'll end up with voids in the laminate.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Good progress! Make sure you radius all of the edges of the plywood before wrapping with fiberglass cloth - it won't lay flat on a square edge and you'll end up with voids in the laminate.
    Thanks for the info on the edges, I’ll put the router on it this afternoon!