Equalizing Hitch for 2017 Yukon XL

I'm thinking about putting an equalizing hitch on my 2017 YUKON XL, in order to tow a 26' Sea Ray on a tandem trailer.

Questions:
    Will a 5.3 L V8, with a 3.42 rear end handle this load? Dry weight listed as 6667#, so I'm thinking 7,000#.

What hitch is recommended. I know my current Class III, 5,000# bass boat hitch won't work.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I’d be worried you are underestimating loaded weight. A tank of fuel alone will put you over 7000, and some Yukon’s are only rated for a 6000lb trailer. By the time you equip the boat and pack your stuff, I’d bet you are easily 7500lbs.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I'm assuming when you say "equalizer hitch" you are talking about a weight distribution hitch? If so check out the Anderson No Sway hitch. I use one when I tow my camper. It's for sure a "better mousetrap".

4. Member
    I have the 5.3 L V8 with a 3.42 rear end in my 2010 GMC Savana Explorer Conversion Van. My two previous conversion vans had the GM 5.7 l V8 with the 3.73 rear end. I been towing my 2007 Ranger 619 Fisherman since the boat was new and I will tell you I miss the 3.73 rear end going up any grade of hill. When loaded my rig approaches 5000lbs. On a flat surface it tows fine, but I do know the boat is back there behind the van. As an example I towed my boat through Wisconsin and Minnesota a couple of weeks ago on my way to Rainy Lake in Ontario. There are lots of hilly areas through central Wisconsin and Minnesota from northern Illinois. I could tell like I have in the past when making this trip that while going up the hills the van was under heavy load and the AC would cut out until the load was reduced and back on more even pavement. So for 90% of my driving the 5.3 with the 3.42 is fine but I miss the 3.73 when towing. I don't know what GM had in their plans but two of my friends have Ford Expeditions with a V6 and with some type of turbo charge and they pull my boat much better than my van.

I guess you need to ask you how much towing you will be doing with your Sea Ray and over what terrain. I haven't looked at the specs on your XL but I'm guessing it's rated for 7500lbs. I'm also guessing your transmission is at least 6 speeds where mine is only 4, or at least I think that's all it is. Just thought I'd pass on my experience with the 5.3 and 3.42. I'm not interested in a diesel but will probably give Ford a close look in a couple years.

5. Member
    It’s not only the weight, you’ll be fighting the wind resistance coming down what I imagine a mainly interstate drive. I imagine you could make the pull one time going slow enough. You can preload most any weight distributing hitch by hooking them up then cranking the winch before hooking up the bars. IMO you would be better off going and renting a truck from Enterprise. Seems like they rent one ton pickups. From GA to Pickwickwick c9ming over Monte Eagle May overheat your 1/2 ton Burb?

I looked up the specs on the 6 speeds internal gears when I moved from the old 4 speed Avalanche to my 14 Silverado with the 6 speed. I had the 3.73 with the 4 speed. The new six speeds with the 3.42 pull the same or better. Neither of them pulled as well as my old 3500 with the 5.7 and 4.10’s out back. Of course that truck loved the gas load or no load. The new six speeds don’t have a direct 1/1 drive like the 4 speeds did. I’m not sure about the 8 speeds, but I doubt they do either. That direct drive gear is where the pulling power came in.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 07-05-2018 at 07:57 AM.

You will be at max or exceeding max towing capacity. Time for a 3/4 ton truck.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,