Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else confused on which new refrigerator to purchase?

I am in the market to purchase a new counter depth french door refrigerator. The on line reviews are VERY SCARY for each and every brand made. I currently have a Samsung with dual ice makers in standard depth and it has been a headache from the start with water buildup under the lower refrigerator bin every summer that turns to a sheet of ice then we have to remove the bin and remove the ice...now the upper in door ice maker has stopped working all together. The darn thing is only 5 years old...and cost me quite a bit of my hard earned money...Reports of the ice maker failure are all over the internet...ranging in repair cost from 250 to 800 dollars with repeat failures afterwords. I have decided not to fix it and just go to the lower freezer bin to get ice for now until that one quits! I will not be purchasing another Samsung appliance ever...especially after my 1 tear old Samsung TV died! I am interested in hearing your experiences and opinions both bad and good...Thanks... and have a happy 4th!

2. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    I have Kenmore Elite and a KitchenAid.

I would recommend the KitchenAid.

Unfortunately, most are made to last about 7 years....if you are lucky.
    Last edited by joebw; 07-04-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Error

3. Member
    I would avoid LG as well. Their compressor warranty is useless because it just covers the part and labor to change it is high. We ended up with a Whirlpool this time and bought the extended warranty. They have been out twice to change fans and sensors so far.

4. Member
    I have had good luck with my Whirlpool double door, ice and water in door and freezer on the bottom.

5. Member
    I have had the best luck with Whirlpool and Kenmore Elite. My next will probably be Whirlpool like the one I have now. If you want a good appliance stay away for the LG's, Samsung's and the rest of the makers of tv's.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

6. Member
    We recently replaced our Frig, Dishwasher, Oven and Stovetop with Kitchen Aide. Very, very pleased with our purchase. Made in the USA too!

7. Member
    Thanks guys! Your input is much appreciated!

8. Banned
    The whole appliance industry has been turned upside down with corporate mergers and consolidation. Who knows who makes what.

Our Maytag is a Lowe's special unit, but it is also available as a Whirlpool. But it is not nearly the quality of my old Amana, side by side. We really like the double fridge on top, drawer in the middle and freezer drawer on bottom.

Been there, done that.... Just got rid of a Samsung that had the ice maker quit after about 18 months and also a fan would start making noise from hitting a buildup of ice back behind the ice maker as well... PITA!!!!

Finally, have switched to a Whirlpool, Fridge on top and lower freezer... Ice makers on top and bottom... Love it so far, but recommend the extended warranty on about anything you buy now....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

10. Member

11. Member
    My wife said we will be buying new appliances soon, we put wood floor on the first floor and now the bigger fridges won’t fit under the cabinets! I said we’ll get the biggest fridge we can that matches everything else we buy, because it will stay when we move in a few years! Now days compressors are only made to last 5/6 yrs!

12. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Not sure why y’all are trashing LG so. I have one that’s 12 years old with only one fan replacement and another that 8 years old that has run flawlessly. In the meantime my brother n law had a whirlpool that was nothing but problems until it went completely out at 4 years. And now a Kitchenaid that’s not keeping cool even after the service man has made many trips to fix it and it’s only 2 years old

13. Member
    Thanks once again for the input guys...The more knowledge I gain from each of you...the more likely I will make the right choice...spider 1...thanks for you positive input on Lg...I am looking for positive and negative input with an open mind for all brands. I have figured that at least I can get better feedback from people that I have something in common with "fishing and boating" instead of general public ratings on line which are "all over the place". So far...I am still where I was...take the extended warranty on anything that I end up with!

One thing I might add—- look into a water sensor to place on or behind the fridge. One of the major problems I am seeing is ice maker lines leaking or breaking. My elderly parents LG has had a leak in different places 3 times in 8 years. Only 2 have been in he fridge itself, one was the feed line. This time it went unnoticed for several days due to health issues that kept them from going downstairs. Thank goodness my wife and I stopped by and did go downstairs! However now they are dealing with the cleanup and repair. The repair man is going to put a sensor on it when he fixes it, not sure of cost but it will be a lot cheaper than the repairs they are facing!
    Vexus DVX19

15. Member
    Have had a Kitchen Aide French Door style for 6 years now with nary a problem. I looked at a Samsung when I bought it as they look really nice, but a friend that works in appliance sales steered me away from it saying they are nothing but problems. Find something with the options you want and then do a bit of research on it for reliability reviews. Just remember, that the more bells and whistles it has, the more likely it is to develop problems. I don't need nor want a computer with an LCD panel built into the door on my refrigerator, but others may find that feature indispensable.

16. Banned
    I think he said he was looking for a cabinet depth unit. That is not a conventional fridge.

SubZero all the way.

17. Member
    Counter depth...it's quite a bit more reasonable than cabinet depth...I cannot afford the cabinet depth. The counter depth picks up about 4 to 5 inches from a standard depth. Thanks again guys!

18. Joe4d
    basic GE's without all the doodads,,, lets see my fridge with an internal icetray is 13, washer is 13 Dishwasher is 5, just replaced dryer as switch was 120 and whole dryer was $329,,, Usually the appliances are fine, but just like everything out,, ad 20 layers of doodad unneeded gak,, thats what goes out. Really I dont need my washing machine to order laundry soap from amazon,,, and I dont need "More features" out of a dryer,,, umm ON/OFF works great

Very much like asking what truck, Chevy, Ford, GMC, Ram, Toyota, or what caliber, 9mm, 40cal or 45.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

20. Member
    The only thing I am certain about is I would not buy one with the crazy computer screen in the front. I'm sure it would cost a pretty penny to replace that sucker if it were to get cracked or go bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast