UFP A60 surge braking system- lots of noise

My 2008 Marine Master trailer has the UFP A60 surge braking system. Since last year, I'm getting this loud and very irritating rubbing noise every time I brake and every time I even hit anything but a mild bump. The noise is coming from the A60 brake assembly (or at least that's the location of the noise.) What could be causing this noise? I've completely greased up the areas for potential friction but that didn't change a thing. It doesn't sound like a metal-to-metal sound...it almost sounds more like a hard piece of rubber rubbing on metal. Could that little damper be shot? The spring? I do know my brake does not fully decompress when I detach the trailer. Should it?

I'll replace the entire A60 if necessary but want to diagnose the issue so I can avoid throwing parts at it. The trailer brakes work perfectly fine.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

2. Scraps
    I just had mine all apart and jut needed it bled. I was having the clunking and not getting pad contact on discs. Might be that absorber. I haven't heard of this dilemma with this actuator and I've done a to of research.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I would put money on the shock in the actuator is history. With a bad shock you will get a clunk in accelerating and when stopping. Also make sure you have fluid in the master cylinder and the system is bled. I would replace the entire actuator since it’s 10 yrs old.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I would put money on the shock in the actuator is history. With a bad shock you will get a clunk in accelerating and when stopping. Also make sure you have fluid in the master cylinder and the system is bled. I would replace the entire actuator since it’s 10 yrs old.
    Thank you. That’s what I’ll do. It’s not terribly expensive either I just realized. Is this at all a difficult job? Is it essentially just detaching the two guide pins, detaching the brake line, remove then install the new a60 in reverse order followed by a brake bleed?

Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Thank you. That’s what I’ll do. It’s not terribly expensive either I just realized. Is this at all a difficult job? Is it essentially just detaching the two guide pins, detaching the brake line, remove then install the new a60 in reverse order followed by a brake bleed?
    It’s a simple job and you outlined it perfectly. I’ll also say it’s much easier then trying to install a new shock in a worn out actuator.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Having done it both ways, total replacement would be my choice.

Put a set of the speedbleeders on the calipers and whole job becomes easy.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

7. Member
    Thanks for the speedbleeder link. I loved having those on my old Mustang! Made things way cleaner and easier for sure.

8. Member
    Also, it is important to check your receiver for play. They and the lock pins do wear and will cause thumping noises.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Having done it both ways, total replacement would be my choice.

Put a set of the speedbleeders on the calipers and whole job becomes easy.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
    anyone have any experience with these

10. Member
    can you slide the coupler in and out by hand,dont be surprised if the brakes just needs bleeding,that shock gets a lot of blame and it's just air
    Last edited by buster502; 07-11-2018 at 07:33 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    can you slide the coupler in and out by hand,dont be surprised if the brakes just needs bleeding,that shock gets a lot of blame and it's just air
    . That’s very difficult to do (sliding the brake on/off by hand.). It doesn’t move easily. What would that indicate?

12. Member
    anyone have any experience with these

Yep

Replaces standard bleeder.
    Depending on caliper model, you may need an adapter for the caliper and then screw in bleeder.

Crack open bleeder and attach silicone tube and run into clear jar and place jar where you can see it from the coupler.
    Start pumping actuator and keep it full of brake fluid and watch clear jar for fluid flow.

No need to open and close bleeder for each stroke to the bleed brakes.
    When done with that caliper, close bleeder and repeat with the other calipers.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Yep

Replaces standard bleeder.
    Depending on caliper model, you may need an adapter for the caliper and then screw in bleeder.

Crack open bleeder and attach silicone tube and run into clear jar and place jar where you can see it from the coupler.
    Start pumping actuator and keep it full of brake fluid and watch clear jar for fluid flow.

No need to open and close bleeder for each stroke to the bleed brakes.
    When done with that caliper, close bleeder and repeat with the other calipers.
    Do you know what size the A60 system uses?
    I used to restore early 80s Honda motorcycles and always up-graded the brakes with Speed Bleeders....great product.

14. Member
    Do you know what size the A60 system uses?

A60 is the acuator in the trailer tongue.

Could be a UFP/Dexter DB42 or DB35 caliper.
    I think the DB35s started in 2004/2005

The caliper bleeder thread size is what you need to know for ordering.

I had changed my stock UFP brakes out to a Kodiak disc setup and the calipers required an adapter(just a reducing bushing) and a bleeder for each caliper.

Both,bleeder and adapter, were supplied by speedbleeder.

15. Member
    Pretty sure my calipers are the DB35. I had to replace a caliper twice and that’s what I remember ordering.

the speed bleeders work awesome. I could bleed my mustang’s brakes in 15 minutes. We just need to determine the correct size for the bleeder screws.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    . That’s very difficult to do (sliding the brake on/off by hand.). It doesn’t move easily. What would that indicate?
    when mine had a lot of air in it you push it all the back with very little force after bleeding them you cannot push them back by hand,it stopped banging after bleeding them