150 pro xs Fourstroke/ prop

Ordered a new bassboat it weights 1600lbs. Was told it would be set up with a 21 tempest. Is this the correct prop?

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Might tell us what "bassboat" you ordered.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I have the Mercury 150 4/stoke ( not pro xs). Had it about 3 months now.
    Based on my experience 21 or 22 pitch is about right.
    Based on what you want out of your set up will determine which prop.
    What is most important, speed, fuel economy, hole shot, etc.
    Speed does not interest me but most other things about a prop does.
    I lean toward 4 blade props because of hole shot with tournament load and full livewells along with handling rough water.
    We are all different!

4. Member
    Mine has also performed way better with four blade props. Specifically the Bravo 1fs

5. Banned
    A buddy of mine is running a 1997 Ranger R80 with a regular 4 stroke on it. He is turning a 25 pitch FS four stroke prop. The head of Mercury Racing suggested it to him at a Bass Classic show. It does a good job although he seems to think 24 in the same prop may be better. I don't know what the ranger weighs but 21 seems really low pitch to me based on what he is turning his to (5600-5700).

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    A buddy of mine is running a 1997 Ranger R80 with a regular 4 stroke on it. He is turning a 25 pitch FS four stroke prop. The head of Mercury Racing suggested it to him at a Bass Classic show. It does a good job although he seems to think 24 in the same prop may be better. I don't know what the ranger weighs but 21 seems really low pitch to me based on what he is turning his to (5600-5700).
    The 150 pro xs fourstroke turns 6000

7. Member
    No one can make an informed prop recommendation with the information provided.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Banned
    That motor has a steep 2.08 gear ratio and with a 21" pitch prop you'll only be able to run 54mph on the 6k rpm limiter with a low slip of 5%(average is 10% and be only 52mph) The 150 pro XS needs to run ~2" pitch higher prop for the same speed compared to the standard 150 with a 1.92 gear ratio, if you know what the boat should do top speed you can use this calculator to calculate the pitch...
    http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/