250 SHO, Ranger z520 Atlas question

For anyone running this combo, or just have knowledge. When trying to run it to the 6000 rpm mark. What number should the Atlas be at or around generally speaking?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3 on the tape

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    3 on the tape
    Won't #3 have the motor way down in the water?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    I think he is saying 3 inches below the bottom of the pad to the center line of the prop shaft. Prop shaft will be below the pad by 3 inches. So use the tongue jack to level your pad over a level concrete surface. Then you measure from the concrete pad to the boat hull pad. Then level the motor cavitation plate and measure from the concrete pad to center line of the prop shaft. The difference between the two measurements is the measurement that he is indicating. You would raise the jack plate until you get 3 inches. Then the corresponding setting on your plate indicator is what you want to raise up to while running. Remember to trim up on a straight run until your speed starts to drop. Do this a little at a time watching your RPMs and GPS speed. Also check your water pressure. You should be around 15 psi once you optimize your speed with your trim.
    2015 Ranger Z520C Yamaha 250

5. Member
    Ok, thanks for that very clear explanation!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    My friends same Ranger with your set up runs the best when the jackplate is at or just above its lowest setting. If he raises it up to much, the hydraulic steering get really difficult. Ranger factory set his boat up to run that way. The factory told him and me too that they set their jackplates setting to be used to get out of shallow water or to idle out of stump fields.

7. Member
    I've been reading that SHO's like to be lifted high for the best performance.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I've been reading that SHO's like to be lifted high for the best performance.
    Depends on the boat
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO