Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOLVED!!! 2012 Merc 60hp issue. Engine dies when going from WOT to Idle

Twice today my engine died when going from WOT to an idle quickly. It also stuttered a few times while at idle.
    Engine itself only has about 20 hours on it. Anyone had this issue?

Serial #1C169167
    Last edited by Splblazer91; 10-03-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: fixed

2. Member
    On the Mercury forums you need to include the serial number to identify the exact model you have.

How fresh is the fuel in it and does it get treated with additives?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    On the Mercury forums you need to include the serial number to identify the exact model you have.

How fresh is the fuel in it and does it get treated with additives?
    +1 to the serial number. When you reply also tell us the maintenance history on this engine (will help with recommendations).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Only maint has been an oil change. Engine only had 10 hrs on it when bought 4 months ago. Serial #1C169167

Fuel is fresh

5. Member
    Any ideas?

Can the solenoid air valve on the starboard side isn't working properly.
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 09-21-2018 at 03:27 PM.

7. Member
    Thanks for the response. My Bro in law has the boat today and it happened 3 times today while at WOT. So its not just happening while decellerating.

8. Member
    Is that solenoid air valve just the IAC? If so that wouldnt cause the issue at WOT would it?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As already requested- Please review the Forum Announcements and Sticky Posts. Update your thread with the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    As already requested- Please review the Forum Announcements and Sticky Posts. Update your thread with the REQUIRED info. Thanks!
    Done. Sorry about that.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Several possibilities- one of the more common is improper setup of the throttle plate and TPS. Would be advisable to have a well-trained 4-stroke tech for those procedures.

Also good idea to catchup any out-of-date maintenance (filters, spark plugs, etc) before looking too deep into the situation. Given the age of the engine, it's due for all filters, plugs, water pump, (in addition to the engine oil and gear lube).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Thanks. Replaced fuel filters and IAC today with no luck. Will check TPS and plate.

13. Member
    I had a 60 hp 4S (think it was 2005) that started to do same thing then it started idling bad. The shop was able to adjust the TPS, I think they said they had to drill something and that it was in spec but just and that a new one was needed if it went any further out. It ran good after that.
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

14. Member
    Thanks

15. Member
    UPDATE: Left the boat with a Merc mechanic for 2 weeks. He changed plugs and cleaned injectors. Said boat was good to go. Took it out and same thing is still going on. Very noticeable at 2000 rpm.
    No codes popped up when he checked.
    Heres whats been done so far: Cleaned injectors, New Plugs, New Fuel Filters, Water Pump, Fresh Fuel and oil change.
    Looks like next step may be high pressure fuel pump. Any other ideas?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Post# 11. While it's not impossible for the HP Fuel Pump to be failing, you would usually have some symptoms not mentioned here.

Ches. "roughly" described what I suspect in Post# 13, also.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    See Post# 11. While it's not impossible for the HP Fuel Pump to be failing, you would usually have some symptoms not mentioned here.

Ches. "roughly" described what I suspect in Post# 13, also.
    Is that a part that can be ordered? The local techs around here seem to be useless so it may just be easier for me to replace rather than trust them to adjust it correctly.

18. Member
    Nevermind. Found the procedure in the manual.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splblazer91 View Post
    Nevermind. Found the procedure in the manual.
    In what manual did you find this? And what Computer Diagnostic System are you utilizing?

20. Member
    The procedure is in the service manual for adjusting the set screw for the throttle idle position, which is pretty self explanatory. Dont have access to any CDS.
    This is just for the idle obviously, im just grabbing at straws here before i have to take it to a shop again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast