Hit something hard.

Looks like I will be getting a new LU and prop. Found something on the Ohio river that was really hard on Sunday. was under full power trying to plane out in a creek and found something that shut down the motor and slammed the bow down so hard I took water over the front. Doesn’t seem to be any jackplate/transom/midsection/tilt-trim damage. Prop is damaged, prop shaft bent, skeg bent over 3/4” to the left and chunks missing from front of skeg. Marina says needs new LU. Just waiting for insurance to approve it.
    Hope to get to keep my damaged prop that I can prolly have Mark rework for a summer/backup prop.

2. Member
    Check the transom out REALLY well, If you are not confident in doing this take it to a good marine tech. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    It is getting checked out. Also checking the hyd jackplate, midsection and tilt-trim.
    Just know for sure the LU is really effed up.

4. Member
    Insurance may cover it. It's worth checking out. Good luck!
    Need a new bow step pad for your boat? Do what I did!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=712307

Are your boat seats trashed? Fix them yourself and save $1000!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=754944

5. Member
    Was there a few months ago. Sick feeling when you start it back up and feel that vibration. Skeg, shaft, prop. No gear damage or they would've replaced the LU. Decided to just eat it and pay for it myself. If it would've been the LU, I would've made the claim.
    2014 920/SHO

6. Member
    I only have a $250 deductible, so I am gonna claim it. Prop, shaft, case, labor and seals, will be a big bill and I’ve paid my insurance for 25 years on my boats without a claim. Hoping they just replace the LU. Just depends on what they find when they pull it down. I’ve never seen a rebuilt LU last very long after a big hit

7. Member
    Glad you are alright and safe. Could have been much worse. How deep was water and any idea what it might have been?

8. Member
    It was a creek off the Ohio river. They were pulling real hard and it dropped 6-8” between going back in and coming back out. Apparently wasn’t deep enough because I hit a massive stump I thought still had enough water over it. Should have paid more attention to how much it had dropped during the day.

9. Member
    Trashed my lower unit yesterday. 300 yards off shore an hit something running about 50.... broken skeg, case around prop, bent prop shaft, and trashed my new B&B prop.
    40 years of fishing..........and my first real damage.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

10. Member
    Picked up my new LU yesterday. Putting it on today and taking my prop to Mark to get repaired.
    Then looking around for another prop. Insurance gave me enough to cover it all. First time that has ever happened for me.
    Noe for a few hours of running our gas during break in time. Never knew it took so long to break in just the LU.