Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Well it happened to me!

Gave the boat a deep cleaning in the sun(normally wipe down in my garage) and I noticed all these cracks. I contacted Tim yesterday, still waiting for a response. It's heart breaking, and I still have two tournaments left this season coming up soon.

2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

2. Member
    From what I've been told stress cracks are purely cosmetic and pretty easy to fix. I think any brand has them to some extent

3. Member
    This is becoming the norm on pheonix, I have been seeing a lot of people lately with cracks, what a shame and I’ve got a 721 on order right now and it has me wondering if it’s going to crack also

4. Member
    If you do a search on here, you'll see a lot of people have experienced them. I know two guys who have their rides at the factory being fixed right now. I understand cracks happen with every brand, we are lucky Phoenix has great customer service.

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    This is becoming the norm on pheonix, I have been seeing a lot of people lately with cracks, what a shame and I’ve got a 721 on order right now and it has me wondering if it’s going to crack also
    does seem to be occurring more often in birds
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have a few right near one of the wings (bow) on mine but didn't send any emails out.....my skeeter had some also.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Definitely some transom flex there. I bet phoenix takes care of it.

8. Member
    That is really too bad to see...i feel for you!

While Phoenix more than likely will take care of it, this should NOT be happening so frequently on such new boats.

Anyone who runs a boat excessively in waves over 4ft will have them. Nature of the beast.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

10. Member
    If they’re just stress cracks, there’s no sense messin with em. They’ll probably just come back later after the repair. It’s fiberglass. That’s it’s nature. Sucks, but it’s true. Like mentioned above, they take a beating in the waves and boat wakes. Had 2 boats that had stress cracks repaired and the cracks reappeared on both. Now I just don’t worry about em anymore. I’ve got some small ones starting to show up in my ‘17 model.

11. Member
    Looks like a bad team some to me, usually stress cracks don’t happen in the corners of the transom sand under the motor plate, that transom is flexing bad , looks like a 20 yr old transom on a two year old boat

12. Member
    No, when you have a bad transom you also have hull cracks in the transom area. 90 percent of all cracks on boats are on the deck, because it has more twists and turns, that when run in heavy water can flex and crack the gel coat, or clear coat. Hull cracks could be more problematic, but deck cracks are usually cosmetic. If you look at any saltwater boat that has been used much, it would be almost impossible to not find a gel coat crack on the deck.

Agree with others that if you run rough water its impossible to avoid some gel cracking. You can look on every brand board here and elsewhere going back decades and find detailed discussions on this. This is why its excluded as a warranty item, although many companies will fix it if its bad enough.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

14. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Have you ever accidentally forgotten to put motor-toter on and drove off? Looks like that could cause those cracks.
    Not accusing, just another thought on the matter.

15. Member
    No I've never forgotten my motor mate when towing. Yea the cracks on the transom are a little concerning, I've been in contact with Tim, and I believe he too is concerned. Hopefully something is done.

16. Member
    A motor mate WON'T take the strain off the transom, only a motortoter type down to the trailer frame will. And there has been plenty of discussion about what will and what won't happon with motortoters, and motor mates.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

There's nothing wrong with the gelcoat. Flexing of the fiberglass is causing the gelcoat to crack. Re-gelcoating these areas will likely only be a temporary cosmetic fix, and the cracks will return, sometimes even worse than before.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    If anyone can develop a gel coat that will flex in all direction you will be a millionaire.Your car bumper has a flex additive which makes it flexible like a rubber ball but it stays soft and will not work for boats or boat building.There has to a chemist on BBC.

19. Member
    Well I take the boat in to my local dealer to have them inspect for structural damage. I may have received a lemon. Upon my inspection, and I have no experience with this, it only looks like stress cracks around the transom and not structural damage.

One of your concerns is fishing two more tournaments with the gel cracks. I would fish them without any hesitation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast