Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Steadycast Calibration Issue

Installed a Garmin Steadycast a few weeks ago but I'm having a problem with it staying calibrated. The calibration is quick and easy but every time I shut down power I have to re-calibrate. It will be off by about 20 degrees and the boat icon moves in a slightly sideways orientation on the screen. Once I stop and re-calibrate, it works great until I shut down power again.

I guess it's not a show stopper but it's very aggravating to have to ride around in circles every time I put the boat in the water....lol

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Randy
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

2. Member
    Most likely you have some magnetic interference with the install location. Find a handheld compass and check the location to see if the compass has any deflection. The only time I thought mine was messed up a screwdriver had ended up next to it. I didn't have to re-calibrate it. I just moved the screwdriver.

If you are certain of nothing is interfering with it, you need to call tech support. Mine has never needed recalibrating.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member

I'm having the same issue with the calibration, even in dead calm waters when calibrating the compass, I can't better than a 55 or so. I have checked an rechecked for magnetic interference near the Steadycast and no interference.
    This is happening since the last update.
    Any ideas??

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrochris View Post
    I'm having the same issue with the calibration, even in dead calm waters when calibrating the compass, I can't better than a 55 or so. I have checked an rechecked for magnetic interference near the Steadycast and no interference.
    Any ideas??
    After you calibrate yours does it work ok? Is your boat icon skewed to one side when going straight?

Once I re-calibrate mine it works great until I shut down power and then it's out of whack again. If it was magnetic interference I don't think calibrating would help.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Member
    I have the exact same problem with it staying calibrated.

Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Has anyone called Garmin to see what they say???
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    Interesting. I’m wondering if it’s an update issue also. I just recently upgraded to 93sv Plus units from my 93sv Chirp units. I never once had a problem with my Steadycast needing recalibration with the old units. After installing the new units, and performing updates, I’ve noticed my Steadycast will not stay calibrated either. The heading line may stay true for 10 minutes and then it will be off again. Frustrating to say the least.

9. Member
    No updates from anyone on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    After you calibrate yours does it work ok? Is your boat icon skewed to one side when going straight?

Once I re-calibrate mine it works great until I shut down power and then it's out of whack again. If it was magnetic interference I don't think calibrating would help.
    What software version is loaded into your SteadyCast, and please describe your system (MFDs, any other N2K devices, ethernet-linking, etc.)?
    Garmin Pro Team

Any ideas??
    Were you able to get a calibration better than 55 in the same mounting location with older software?
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tx2va07 View Post
    Interesting. I’m wondering if it’s an update issue also. I just recently upgraded to 93sv Plus units from my 93sv Chirp units. I never once had a problem with my Steadycast needing recalibration with the old units. After installing the new units, and performing updates, I’ve noticed my Steadycast will not stay calibrated either. The heading line may stay true for 10 minutes and then it will be off again. Frustrating to say the least.
    What software version is loaded in your SteadyCast?
    Garmin Pro Team

For those having these SteadyCast issues, please go to:
    Settings > Communications > NMEA 2000 Setup > Device List > SteadyCast > Review

Go to the second page in the review pages and respond with what the “Calibration Status” reports. If calibration is saved, it should say:
    Calibration Status: Compass Calibration: Done Heading Alignment: Done

Otherwise, it says “Not Done”.

Also, are you getting a message every time your unit boots indicating the need to recalibrate or are you just noticing poor performance?
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Member
    Todd, sorry I’m out of town for work now for the next month. So I have no way to get more data on this.

I just performed the most recent update to it last week whenever I got my Plus units. I believe it was software version 2.1?

I have mine connected on a NMEA network that only contains the Steady Cast and two 93sv Plus units.

I can say say that when it would auto calibrate with the new unit, I could not get anything higher than a 50 for calibration status. It would show my boat tracking straight for a bit, then I could stop and fish a spot for a while, and when I would take back off my boat would be heading at least 20+ degrees off. This was never a problem for me until I installed my new Plus units and did the auto calibrate after installing the latest software update.

15. Member
    I'm contemplating getting a steadycast - how do you load updates on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post

Like I mentioned above I have a hard time getting a good calibration,, somewhere above 80. After I calibrate it’s good for about 15 minutes then my heading line and my COG line ( course over ground) don’t lineup as I’m going straight at wot, and they should lineup.
    I also tried the fine heading adjustment to no avail. That last update definitely put a bug in the system and I’m hoping they get it fixed quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    For those having these SteadyCast issues, please go to:
    Settings > Communications > NMEA 2000 Setup > Device List > SteadyCast > Review

Go to the second page in the review pages and respond with what the “Calibration Status” reports. If calibration is saved, it should say:
    Calibration Status: Compass Calibration: Done Heading Alignment: Done

Otherwise, it says “Not Done”.

Also, are you getting a message every time your unit boots indicating the need to recalibrate or are you just noticing poor performance?
    Both calibrations are done on mine. I am noticing poor performance.

Todd,
    Yes,
    got a 93 first time I calibrated in calm waters. Now can't get better than a 55 or so in calm waters.
    Same mounting location as previous calibration. The problem arose as soon as I updated to the latest software.
    My system includes: GPSMAP1042, Echomap95SV, GPSMAP536, All on Garmin NMEA2000 starter kit.
    Everything was working fine before latest update.
    Thank you.
    C//
    Last edited by Astrochris; 07-05-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    I'm contemplating getting a steadycast - how do you load updates on it?
    It needs to be plugged in to your MFD and powered up then do a standard update.

20. Member
    It needs to be plugged in to your MFD and powered up then do a standard update.
    Ok, thank you. Wanted to make sure nothing else was needed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast