Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I managed to get out on the water last night and have good news to report. After adjusting the heading line settings to use the Heading (and not Auto) as the source things are working great. After using the MFD for a couple hours I had no problems with calibration accuracy or displaying correct boat direction. Although I only had a Q50 things worked very well. Thanks much for the recommendations Leonard.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

2. Member
    Here's what I did.

Grab a buddy and find a decent sized flat lot.
    With your boat on the trailer go through the calibration.
    Have your buddy do nice tight circles and you'll be good to go. (make sure you can easily talk.......cellphone)
    My steadycast is hooked up to two 93sv Plus units with most updated hardware. Haven't had any issues.

3. Member
    Todd,
    I have an Echompa Chirp 94SV and a Echomap Chirp 73CV. I have the same issue. My unit says the calibration is complete and does not indicate the calibration needs to be recalibrated each time the unit starts. After being powered down and back on the heading line will be off from original calibration.
    Latest software on units and 2.10 on steadycast. Recently updated from 2.00 to 2.10 on steadycast with no change.

4. Gray
    Isn't part of the calibration to get on plane for a period of time? I guess you can do that driving to the flat lot.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Isn't part of the calibration to get on plane for a period of time? I guess you can do that driving to the flat lot.
    Yes, the calibration is two-part (compass and heading). Many folks forget about the Auto Heading Alignment (second part of calibration).
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by RPM2 View Post
    Todd,
    I have an Echompa Chirp 94SV and a Echomap Chirp 73CV. I have the same issue. My unit says the calibration is complete and does not indicate the calibration needs to be recalibrated each time the unit starts. After being powered down and back on the heading line will be off from original calibration.
    Latest software on units and 2.10 on steadycast. Recently updated from 2.00 to 2.10 on steadycast with no change.
    I sent you a PM asking for contact info.
    Garmin Pro Team

7. Member
    Guys. Do this on the water, following all the steps 1.2.3.4.....
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    Just wanted to give an update on what's going on with my Steadycast problem. I was able to install the old software (2.00) and haven't had any problems since. After installing the old software I calibrated the compass (Q85) and did the heading alignment. The heading has been right on the money ever since and the boat icon on the screen is now straight instead of pointing slightly left. The Steadycast and 19x are an awesome combination when they're working properly. I'm quite happy with the performance now.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

9. Member
    Has Todd responded on this yet? I would imagine he would send this in to Garmin to hopefully get the software corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx2va07 View Post
    Has Todd responded on this yet? I would imagine he would send this in to Garmin to hopefully get the software corrected.
    Engineers have been looking into this issue.
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Engineers have been looking into this issue.
    Great. Thank you, Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    Just wanted to give an update on what's going on with my Steadycast problem. I was able to install the old software (2.00) and haven't had any problems since. After installing the old software I calibrated the compass (Q85) and did the heading alignment. The heading has been right on the money ever since and the boat icon on the screen is now straight instead of pointing slightly left. The Steadycast and 19x are an awesome combination when they're working properly. I'm quite happy with the performance now.
    I also installed V2.0 back in the Steadycast and everything now works as it should.

Thanks Todd

Fish on!!
    C//

13. Member
    Todd, is there an update to this issue? I have the exact same problem, losing calibration. Support told me to relocate the sensor, I did and no change in losing calibration. Running 2.20 on Steadycast along w/7608xsv and 8212 all on current software. I'd be willing to downgrade to 2.0 on the Steadycast but can't find the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothergirl View Post
    Todd, is there an update to this issue? I have the exact same problem, losing calibration. Support told me to relocate the sensor, I did and no change in losing calibration. Running 2.20 on Steadycast along w/7608xsv and 8212 all on current software. I'd be willing to downgrade to 2.0 on the Steadycast but can't find the software.
    First issue I've heard running 2.20 with those specific MFDs. Let me forward this to the appropriate folks and I will get back with you.
    Garmin Pro Team

Are you actually losing calibration, or is the calibration value low/bad?

If you loose calibration it would say the device wasn’t calibrated in the NMEA2000 device list.
    Garmin Pro Team

16. Member
    Are you actually losing calibration, or is the calibration value low/bad?

If you loose calibration it would say the device wasn’t calibrated in the NMEA2000 device list.
    Let me clarify my issue. I'm losing heading alignment. Compass has a value of Q80. I go through the alignment process and it completes. Heading line on both 7608 and 8212 are spot on. Within 10 minutes or so, the heading lines will be 20 degrees off or more. It appears something is overriding the alignment value that gets set in the 2nd step. If I go through the alignment process again, it will work again for 10 minutes and then be 20 degrees off or more.

Let me clarify my issue. I'm losing heading alignment. Compass has a value of Q80. I go through the alignment process and it completes. Heading line on both 7608 and 8212 are spot on. Within 10 minutes or so, the heading lines will be 20 degrees off or more. It appears something is overriding the alignment value that gets set in the 2nd step. If I go through the alignment process again, it will work again for 10 minutes and then be 20 degrees off or more.
    Are you experiencing this issue only while the boat is under power? Do you also have the issue when boat is docked/anchored?
    Garmin Pro Team

18. Member
    Are you experiencing this issue only while the boat is under power? Do you also have the issue when boat is docked/anchored?
    I’ve never tried aligning it and then stopping. Not sure what this would prove since the boat is designed to move.

19. Member
    I cant get mine to calibrate anything over 30. I tried tight circles, wide circles, etc... not great!

20. Member
    Having problems with my steady cast again. Do the re-calibration and it functions correctly for about ½ hour and then goes crazy. I wish Garmin would correct this issue.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast