Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I also performed the most recent update to it last week, software version 2.1? I have mine connected on a NMEA network that only contains the Steady Cast with a 7610 and 7608 connected by Ethernet. Was out last night and the steady cast performance was very poor, not sure what to do about it. No messages displaying that it needs calibration, just very poor performance.
    Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

2. Gray
    When mine was installed a few weeks ago on my 7608's the units immediately read that the Steady Cast was installed and asked if I wanted to calibrate now or later. Each time I turned on the units I got that message until I went through the calibration. It was a simple operation to follow the onscreen directions after that. I'm guessing that it isn't connected properly. Mine read 80%.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    What software version is loaded into your SteadyCast, and please describe your system (MFDs, any other N2K devices, ethernet-linking, etc.)?
    My setup:

Echomap 93sv Plus at Bow and Console - Linked via ethernet - Software 7.00
    Echomap 93sv Chirp at Console - Software 4.30
    Garmin 19x - Software 2.60
    Steadycast - Software 2.10
    Everything is linked via NMEA 2000

Spent all morning on the water trying to figure out what is going on. When I calibrate the compass the best I can get is Q57. Then I do the Heading Alignment and everything works great for a short time and then it seems to lose the heading. It will be off by about 20 degrees. Everytime I stopped to fish it would mess up or if I just ran across the lake for any length of time it would also mess up.
    The boat icon will be skewed to the left when going straight. One time the icon was completely sideways while going straight.

Bottom line, I can get everything calibrated and aligned and it works great.....it just won't stay calibrated and aligned for very long. Right now the Steadycast is mounted on the front deck in front of the Console. I'm going to move it to the other side of the boat in the rod locker and see what happens. I don't think it's going to help though because I've checked for interference where it's mounted and get none.

If moving the Steadycast don't work I'm pretty much out of ideas. I'm starting the think I may just have a defective Steadycast.
    Last edited by Pipercub; 07-06-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Add Software Versions
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

4. Member
    I think it has to be a software issue. We’re all having the exact same issue. And I never had the issue until I updated my Steady Cast, and I’ve had it for a couple of years. Doesn’t seem like a coincidence.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2va07 View Post
    I think it has to be a software issue. We’re all having the exact same issue. And I never had the issue until I updated my Steady Cast, and I’ve had it for a couple of years. Doesn’t seem like a coincidence.
    Yea, you may be on to something. If you've had yours for two years with no problems and now it's suddenly acting up after the update, then there has to be a connection. Mine is brand new, Iv'e only had it for about a month. I must have re-calibrated it a dozen times today. I love it when it works but it's really not useable the way it is now.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

6. Member
    I know this is a long shot but it sounds like it works a bit, then is being overriden by some other setting. And I don't know what settings are set to be synchronized when units are networked. I suggest checking that all the units connected are set the same way so that the Heading line is set to the use the Steadycast as the source. If one unit is set to Auto or GPS it may be trying to override. Also North Up or Heading Up for the map orentiation. Sorry I can't offer any better advice and you may have already done this.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I know this is a long shot but it sounds like it works a bit, then is being overriden by some other setting. And I don't know what settings are set to be synchronized when units are networked. I suggest checking that all the units connected are set the same way so that the Heading line is set to the use the Steadycast as the source. If one unit is set to Auto or GPS it may be trying to override. Also North Up or Heading Up for the map orentiation. Sorry I can't offer any better advice and you may have already done this.
    Very good point. I believe mine are all set the same but I'll definitely check them when it cools off this evening.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

8. Member
    Pipercub mine is literally doing the exact same thing that yours is. My settings are the same on both graphs. I calibrate it, it tracks true for a while, I stop to fish, then it’s at least 20 degrees off.

I did a manual calibration when I first got it, as the 93sv Chirp model did not support calibration within the unit. After calibration it was perfect and I never once had it come off course. So I know mine is not interference.

9. Member
    It's been a long time but I do remember once I had something erratic occur and my units were 2-7610's. I think that a software update reset the setting to AUTO. Set them both back to use the Heading Sensor as the source and no more problems.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    It's been a long time but I do remember once I had something erratic occur and my units were 2-7610's. I think that a software update reset the setting to AUTO. Set them both back to use the Heading Sensor as the source and no more problems.
    Just checked settings on all three MFD's. They were all the same except the MFD at the bows Serial Port setting was set to NMEA Standard. The MFD's at the console were set to Garmin High Speed. What setting should Serial Port be set to? Garmin High Speed or NMEA High Speed? The two Plus units are linked via ethernet and share waypoints and sonar and all three are linked via NMEA 2000 and share Steadycast and 19x. I'm not really sure what the Serial Port setting is or if it would have anything to do with my problem.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2va07 View Post
    Pipercub mine is literally doing the exact same thing that yours is. My settings are the same on both graphs. I calibrate it, it tracks true for a while, I stop to fish, then it’s at least 20 degrees off.

I did a manual calibration when I first got it, as the 93sv Chirp model did not support calibration within the unit. After calibration it was perfect and I never once had it come off course. So I know mine is not interference.
    I don't think mine is interference either but at this point I'm willing to try anything. With the NMEA network, Steadycast and 19x I've sunk a lot of money in to this for it not to work.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

12. Member
    I'm definitely going to hold off getting one, at least until this is resolved. Has anyone gotten ahold of Garmin?

13. Member
    I’m out of town for work for the next month, so I have no way to do any testing. I’m hoping someone can talk to Garmin and get this resolved.

Skunked Again, I can tell you that the Steady Cast has been an excellent heading sensor for me the past 2 years. I’m sure this is a small hiccup and will be figured out soon.

14. Member
    Made it a point to use mine this morning. No issues. But mine is on a 7610 and that's difference software than the echomap Plus.

15. Member
    Tx2va07 - Good to hear! I still have some more pennies to save before purchasing. Which gives me some time to figure out how I want to hook up and install the network and steady cast.
    The problem is, for how I want to install, the network will cost as much or more than the steady cast.

16. Member
    Leonard where do I find the heading linesettings on a 7610?
    Garmin & Minn Kota

17. Member
    Bring up the Chart for Viewing. I do Fishing Chart but it should be under both.
    Menu->Layers->My Vessel->Heading Line

18. Member
    I'm having issues as well, well clear of interference and can not get better that a 40. I'm finding the position icon doesn't move then suddenly moves past what you wanted to line up with. Also inaccuract turns and smooth tracking.
    I love everything about my Garmins, but the positition issues. My old Lowrance with a point one and smooth tracking was far superior.
    any help would be greatly appreciasted

19. Member
    Check my 7610 units in both heading line settings were programed to the AUTO mode. Set them both back to use the Heading as the source. Hope this corrects my issues, I will report.
    Garmin & Minn Kota

20. Member
    glad I'm not the only one. I unplugged it late last year and have not plugged it in since to work out some other issues. Hopefully one of these nights I will want to work in it other then fishing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast