Need a little help

I recently bought a Rem 700 SPS Long Range in the 300 Win Mag. Took it out Sat just to shoot it. Not sighted in yet so I was just shooting a dirt pile. Ammo is Hornady Precision Hunter, 200 grain ELD-X. First 2 rounds were fine. #3 was hard to eject, 4 was a little sticky but not terrible. 5th round stayed in the gun for several hours after I got home. Bolt comes up fine, just couldn't pull it back to eject spent casing. Finally got mad enough and pulled as hard as I could. (bout gave birth to my colon) finally got it out. Gun was cleaned very well before it was shot. I noticed deformities on 3 of the cases on the neck. So, the mystery is....was this caused by the ammo, or me having to pull so hard to eject some of the rounds? What could have caused them to hang up? There were no splits or burn outs on the case. Just a flat spot on the neck. Is that rifle going to be very ammo specific? I surely hope not. Ok experts, what's the deal here?

2. Member
    In-focus close up photo of the ejected brass would help, not sure I understand.

I’ve had problems ejecting shells from a couple guns before, it’s always been a poorly machined chamber. In shotguns I just polished the chamber, if thats the issue not sure it would be an acceptable solution in a rifle that was intended to be at all accurate. Not saying that’s the issue, but unable to inject kind of sounds like that. Hopefully it’s just a part or something that needs to be knocked down a little and not the chamber itself.

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I would say ammo

4. Member
    A good photo of the spent primer would be good. If it appears real flat or has tried to flow into the firing pin hole I'd for sure say those rounds are too hot and over expanding in the chamber. It could also be the chamber itself if just a little on the small side and the is causing pressure to get raised. If neither or those are the case it could just be the brass was a little over sized to begin with. You probably wouldn't notice it when you shoved the bolt forward as you have a lot more mechanical advantage going that direction as opposed to pulling back on it.

5. Member
    Thanks everyone. I posted this on another forum and one responder said he had the same rifle in 7mm that did the same thing. Shipped it back to Remington and they fixed it. I guess mines going back to the factory.

6. Member
    I would say a tight chamber or a not very clean reaming job on the chamber. Hopefully Remington will fix you up with a new rifle. Good luck.

7. Member
    Agree, I bet the finish ream was not up to par since other's have had the same issue.

8. Member
    I bought a used Remington 700 in 7mm and had the exact same thing after a year. I took it to a local gunsmith and it was a $50 fix. I can't remember exactly what it was, but a part of the bolt (set screw maybe) had worn out. Haven't had an issue since.

9. Member
    do yourself a favor and buy some Hornaday 180 grain, if they are tight I would say the gun for sure. more user friendly than other mfgs. with better ballistics.

10. Member
    Try a different kind of ammo in it and see what happens. I’ve had a box of Hornady stuff before, I think in 223, that was over pressure, and several others have experienced the same thing with Hornady according to the google search I did afterwards. Primers were cratered and stiff bolt also. I’d say it’s most likely the ammo, but with the some of the poor quality stuff Remington has been putting out for a while now, there’s always the possibility of a tight or rough chamber.

11. Member
    The gun has been shipped back to Remington. Or at least one of their service centers. We'll see what happens.

12. Member
    Please let us know what the verdict is. As has been mentioned above, QC at the Big Green these days is not what it once was from what I have been reading so would really like to know. Thanks

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    Please let us know what the verdict is. As has been mentioned above, QC at the Big Green these days is not what it once was from what I have been reading so would really like to know. Thanks
    I'm understanding that. Makes me sad. All of my long guns are Remington. Never had any issue with any of them. That's why I bought another one.They kept the gun for a week. According to UPS, it's on the way back to me. I'm guessing with others having this issue they knew exactly what to do. Just hope they test fired it and all is well. Not trying to have a 5 shot, 1 hole rifle at a 1000 yds. Just want to whack Bambi when he struts out at 500.

14. Member
    Update:
    Took the rifle out this morning. Put 10 rounds of Remington Core Lokt 180 grain and 5 rounds of the Hornady 200 grain through it with no issues. Repair tag that was on the gun said " deburred the chamber rim, safety check, clean and oiled." Looks like that did the trick.

Have a gunsmith look in the chamber. If it wasn't polished good at factory and they left a burr or mark on the chamber the shell will stick. I had a new Winchester several years ago do this in a 300. Check your brass for any scrapes or gouges. Very doubtful it was the ammo.