Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 Rod Locker Won't Lock

The latch doesn't reach far enough to lock the box. I can still open the box when its in locked position, the latch just rubs against the gasket on the inside and then comes right up. Anybody else have this issue?
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

2. Member
    Not that problem, but mine seem to not tighten well. You can still grab the latch and turn it while locked.
    I've tried to tighten this but fearful of breaking the plastic nut.

Sounds like the hole might be drilled in the wrong place IF I understand the scenario. Since it is a 2018 I would take it back to the dealer. If you can't do that, I would rig an extension on the locking arm --- If I understand what you are saying, sounds like a bad install.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    Is the bolt hole on the arm slotted to maybe adjust it ? Maybe take a small drill bit and try and work it to slot it some if there’s enough room on it to do that . I’m just thinking out loud here . My boat is at my camp to where I can’t look at mine to see if that’s even doable . Or like said , if you can bring it to the dealer and let them fix it .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

5. Member
    The lock hasn't turned round 180 degrees in the hole has it? The shaft the latching bar is on should be closest to the edge.

6. Member
    yea the arm from the latch is in the right spot, it just doesn’t seem to stick out far enough to completely locks the lid down
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

7. Member
    I noticed that the arm on the bottom of the latch is longer on the bilge latch than on the rod locker latch...I would bet that if the rod locker had the same size arm as the bilge that it would lock...the arm is just too short
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019

8. Member
    They probably installed the wrong latch on your rod box with that being said . I bet a call to Ranger and they will send you the right one with the proper arm length

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisOK View Post
    Not that problem, but mine seem to not tighten well. You can still grab the latch and turn it while locked.
    I've tried to tighten this but fearful of breaking the plastic nut.
    Me also, why even bother. The longer I have my rt188 the more I dislike about it

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
    Me also, why even bother. The longer I have my rt188 the more I dislike about it
    That's funny. The longer I have My 2015 RT188 the more I love it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    That's funny. The longer I have My 2015 RT188 the more I love it.
    I have paint issues that ranger won't address.
    Similar situations with the locks on my compartments. Carpet coming unglued and fraying. For the price we pay for these boats we should not have these issues. I love the way the boat handles and fishes but this kinda sours that

12. Member
    I have paint issues that ranger won't address.
    Similar situations with the locks on my compartments. Carpet coming unglued and fraying. For the price we pay for these boats we should not have these issues. I love the way the boat handles and fishes but this kinda sours that
    What year make is your boat ? What’s going on with the paint job ? I haven’t heard of anyone having problems with paint issues yet .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    What year make is your boat ? What’s going on with the paint job ? I haven’t heard of anyone having problems with paint issues yet .
    I am curious about the issues as well.

That way I can keep an eye on mine to see if they develop.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

14. Member
    2015 rt188. Its the grey paint. I have a few spots on the boat that are flaking and will come off just by rubbing with my finger. My paint will get a small,bubble then peel from there. My transom straps have literally rubbed the paint off where they touch the bottom of the transom. My ranger cover has caused many rubbed areas on the sides and gunnels on the boat.

15. Member
    2015 rt188. Its the grey paint. I have a few spots on the boat that are flaking and will come off just by rubbing with my finger. My paint will get a small,bubble then peel from there. My transom straps have literally rubbed the paint off where they touch the bottom of the transom. My ranger cover has caused many rubbed areas on the sides and gunnels on the boat.
    I had a similar experience with my last Xpress boat as it got older with a few small spots bubbling up and the same color as yours . Not saying it’s the color causing it . More likely just the nature of the beast with painted aging aluminum . As for the boat buckles rubbing the paint off of the transom , My transom sits all the way on the bunks and the straps don’t touch the boat . Maybe you can adjust the winch stand forward some to scoot the boat up on the trailer a little . I can see trailering it with the cover on making scuff marks on the gunnels. Someone may chime in on a solution for that . I don’t trailer mine with my cover on .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

The warranty for paint issues is two years from purchase date I believe. That could be why you are having a tough time getting them to pay for anything if it is over two years old. Hopefully you brought this to your dealer's attention before the two years time period was up, you have a good case and argument. If not, then it could be a tough situation. Since yours is a 2015, it could be out of warranty. A manufacturer has to set some type of time limit on a warranty. I agree that the problem should not be there and it sounds like a bad prep before the paint. Mine is silver as well and is a 2013 and I have had no paint issues that were not caused by me like a scuff marks here and there. But I use the boat so that happens.

Rusty is right about the straps. Mine don't hit. You might need to move the boat up some on the trailer.

I don't trailer with the cover on either, and I trailer my boat quite a bit..... It WILL rub and scuff the paint or dull the fiberglass same as with a bra on a car. Sand and grit and dirt get under the cover and it rubs against the paint and dulls it. You can put protection towels or cloths in some places like corners to help, but I believe if you trailer a boat (any boat) long enough with a cover on it then it will eventually make some scuff or discoloration marks. You can buff out the dullness on gelcoat and I have done that, but not sure about aluminum and I doubt it buffs out very well.

The longer I own and fish from my RT188, the more and more I am happy with it. I thought about trading just because I wanted a new boat, but decided to do some upgrades like add the Ultrex and keep it. It is hard to see anything in its class that is worth $20K difference in trade for the type fishing I do. Like you, I think it fishes exceptionally well.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    The latch my be that they put the wrong latching arm on. Or the hole was drilled to far out.

18. Member
    I had a similar experience with my last Xpress boat as it got older with a few small spots bubbling up and the same color as yours . Not saying it’s the color causing it . More likely just the nature of the beast with painted aging aluminum . As for the boat buckles rubbing the paint off of the transom , My transom sits all the way on the bunks and the straps don’t touch the boat . Maybe you can adjust the winch stand forward some to scoot the boat up on the trailer a little . I can see trailering it with the cover on making scuff marks on the gunnels. Someone may chime in on a solution for that . I don’t trailer mine with my cover on .
    I do not like trailering with a cover but I go on a couple very long trips that require me to stay over.
    I guess the cover is a sense of security for me while in a motel. The paint peeling after only a few years is what really gets me. The loose carpet spots where easily fixed.
    Aside from those issues it is an awesome boat.

19. Member
    I do not like trailering with a cover but I go on a couple very long trips that require me to stay over.
    I guess the cover is a sense of security for me while in a motel. The paint peeling after only a few years is what really gets me. The loose carpet spots where easily fixed.
    Aside from those issues it is an awesome boat.
    I hear you about having that sense of security. If they can’t see what’s in it , they may lose interest.

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

I had two paint issues with my boat. The first was bubbling and lack of adhesion on the transom, that was repaired under warranty by the dealer. The other was paint rubbed off the sides by a poorly designed trailer guide that was repainted at the factory. The post 2014 trailers have been redesigned so this problem has been solved.
    I can relate to RH1’s frustration, I have lived through 2 years of problems with my RT188 ( The paint issues were the easy ones). Ranger and my Dealer did an excellent job of responding to and fixing the problems, but the ordeal sure took the fun of ownership away for a while. The ordeal does not make me cynical or angry but I am never tempted to pick up the Ranger tea jug.
    I have always and continue to be pleased with the features and performance of the boat, and I appreciate the patience and dedication of Ranger and Futrell Marine to make this the boat that meets my original expectations.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 07-04-2018 at 12:57 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast