Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

08 zx225 08 Yamaha 4 stroke 60mph

Hi fellas, first time skeeter owner and not impressed with the speed. First off I'm at 6000 rpm with half gas two guys tournament load 25 pitch t1 prop. Slidemaster 8 inch jackplate. I live in Idaho and elevation is around 2200 feet didn't think it would kill the speed that bad. Any suggestions? Prop height appears to be 3 1/2 inches below pad

2. Member
    Motor is a Yamaha 225 four stroke

3. Member
    You Definately have something off. I assume that is gps speed? I would try another prop. At that speed and rpm,you have a lot of slip. That T1 should be a good prop for that rig but yours might be bent.

4. Member
    It's a heavy boat but I can't believe that's all it has. Not sure why it's Soo slow. Prop looks good. If I did measurement right it looked like I was 5 1/2 inches below pad.

I ran one of those as a demo when I was in the boat business. I ran a 27T1 at 6K rpm and 69-71 mph depending on load. Something is off. Btw, the boat came from Skeeter with a 12” plate.
    Last edited by Jason Hale; 07-07-2018 at 10:57 PM.

6. Member
    Correct on the 12 inch jackplate. I just learned that the hearing is 2 on the lower unit so it's going to kill my speed. But still should get more than 60 moh gps. Prop to pad I bumped up to 31/2 below pad instead of the 5 1/ 2 it was at. If props are way low in the water does it kill speed? Still learning.

Yes it has a 2/1 gear ratio which helps with hole shot and allows you to turn a larger prop. If you are not set properly then you will lose speed and overall performance.

8. Pat Goff
    Skeeter hull needs all the bow lift it can get. They run their best when they compress sir under the hull.

If you’re running flat on the water the hull cannot find it’s poten.
    What to do? Drop the plate until you find your lift, you’re showing a high amount of slip now, so get that prop digging some water.

T1 is not the highest lift prop. Yamaha M or merc tempest might be a better choice.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

9. Member
    Going to the lake Tuesday to play with jackplate height and going to try a 27 tempest prop. If I can hit 64 now in the heat I will be happy. Update u soon and thanks for trying to help.

10. Member
    To big of rollers to open it up today. Update soon

11. Member
    Update today... 63mph gps on 5th dot on my slidemaster. Didn't get a chance to adjust due to prefishing for a tourney. However this is huge to me gaining 3mph and hoping for more. Still at 6000 rpms and 19 psi on water gauge.

If I remember correctly I ran around 7 dots loaded and could run at 9 after Mark worked his magic on the prop.

13. Member
    Moving to six dots on slidemaster and going to try that. Still seems to need more lift. I wish I could find a 26 tempest and see how that would run.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo1966 View Post
    Moving to six dots on slidemaster and going to try that. Still seems to need more lift. I wish I could find a 26 tempest and see how that would run.
    I have one for sale

15. Member
    Ok as of now on with dot I ran 64.5 gps first thing in the morning. Outstanding as my military friend would say, however, I leveled my boat and motor. Measured my bottom of gull 16.5 from concrete pad then measured my center point of prop 12 inches to concrete pad. No fellas haven't been drinking.. I'm excited finally getting past 60mph but still seems way too low. Am I missing something ? Moved motor up again and will continue untilleither rev limiter goes off or lose water pressure.

16. Member
    Went from 5th dot to sixth dot on jackplate to get it to 64.5 sorry spell check is giving me fits

17. Pat Goff
    You're going to lose speed and lift before you lose pressure.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

18. Member
    Is that a 4 stroke Sho motor or there grey motor . If it’s a Sho and your running a tempest . You need to be 2.5 below pad to start with and move up from there . Sho like to be ran high . Also you went from a 25 t1 to 27 tempest and you rpms were the same 6000 not possible. Have tach changed or checked out . If your running the grey motor it’s doing pretty good then .

19. Member
    No I stayed with the 25t1 prop the motor is a f225tlr 4 stroke light blue.

20. Member
    Ran the boat today on the 8th dot on my 12 inch slidemaster jackplate. In the morning at 6000 rpm I could only get 62.2 did have some good wind and waves thought maybe I had it to high since I ran 64.5 on the 6th dot. However, coming in I ran 63.8 with the wind running 6100 rpms does wind really affect our boats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast