Banned

Echomap 73sv CHIRP won't power on

Unit was turning off randomly occassionally but otherwise working fantastic, so I decided to update the software which now I am thinking I should not have. I have updated once before without problem. I was running version 4.10. I followed the steps to apply the update to the micro SD card and entered it into the chartplotter after it booted up and was on the main menu. The unit did not see the card even though I waited several minutes, so I turned the unit off and removed the card. I followed the steps again and the second time when I inserted the SD card it went to the memory card screen, which is supposed to look like this (from youtube)

but there was no update software menu option on mine just the first two options manage user data, & copy built-in map, and I could move about those two menus. After several minutes I turned the unit off to start the process again and now it will not turn on. I checked the power source with a multi-meter and its getting 12v.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Checked the cradle with the head removed and I'm getting 12 volts to the two female pin inserts farthest to the left, on the maroon power plug also getting 12v on 2 of the 4 inserts, guessing those other two pin inserts are for the blue and brown networking wires. Is this correct of should I be getting power to any other pins? About to just send this thing in for a refurbished one, anyone else ever had one of these just die when trying to update software?, I'm getting zip when pressing the power button, no blink, no beep nothing.
    Last edited by Legend LE-195; 07-02-2018 at 09:52 PM.

3. Member
    You lost me. Red-positive, black-negative. Two wires. You getting power on two more? What does your power connector look like? Is it screw on or push on?

Also
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Banned
    To clear up 12v power is going to where its supposed to from the power cable into the cradle pins, unit will just not turn on, kind of odd because everything I've read the unit will usually at least blink or beep, this one acts as though its getting no power at all.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If power is there and not unit turning on sounds like it's a problem with the unit.....sounds like a call to Garmin would be the next step....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Banned
    Update on this it was the cradle. I put some dielectric grease on the pin inserts on the left side of the cradle (where the power comes in), and on those same pins on the head unit, snapped it together and it booted right up and was able to update the software. I've put in an order for a new cradle from Garmin customer service, sounds like this is a know issue as they seemed keen to send a new one free of charge. The clue was I had the unit turning off in rough water the last few trips otherwise I was just going to eat the replacement fee for a refurb.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Glad you got it figured out.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Banned
    Ok so now not sure if this is a cradle issue or a power cable issue, tried to update some software in it today and would not turn on again, noticed the power plug does not mate as tight to the cradle as it used to. Twisted the cable around 360 degrees and plugged it in screwed it on tight and power came on. Came back about an hour later and power would not come on again, twisted the cable 360 the other direction and it powered up. When I use a multi meter I still always have 12 volts to the power cable so no broke wires inside the power cable, it may just be a connection issue between the cradle and power cable. Anyone else have something like this happening?

My echomap 70s keeps shutting itself off, then won't turn back on until I wait for an extended time and try again, at which point it will run for a few minutes then freeze or shut off completely and the cycle begins again. Check in your settings -> system - > system information - > event log to see if it has recorded any unusual behavior. Mine shows 'abnormal powerdown' or 'rtl trap' with data abort error. I haven't been able to find a solution to my issue yet.

10. Banned
    Thanks, I tried the event log, nothing recent or unusual just listed when I've updated software and a few gps signal lost, tranducer transmission lost back in the winter.

11. Banned
    Fellas, what size fuse is used on the 73sv? I looked in the manual and tried to google it, I can’t find the answer anywheres. I put a 3amp in it, but if it needs a 5 then I’d like to know. Thank you

12. Member
    Should be on a tag for the power cable.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Should be on a tag for the power cable.

Nothing there, might have been cut off by my friend. He’s not very tech savvy and has no clue that there was a fuse attached. The biggest problem is that his boat is 3 1/2 hours away so I can’t just go look. All the specs in the manual show is watts used and I’m too stupid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Nothing there, might have been cut off by my friend. He’s not very tech savvy and has no clue that there was a fuse attached. The biggest problem is that his boat is 3 1/2 hours away so I can’t just go look. All the specs in the manual show is watts used and I’m too stupid for that.
    For all the 2015 and later echomaps, a 3A fuse is used.
    Garmin Pro Team

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    For all the 2015 and later echomaps, a 3A fuse is used.

Thanks sir, pretty sure is says some about 2015 upon start up.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Thanks sir, pretty sure is says some about 2015 upon start up.
    Might want to update your software (its free) if your still running v2015.0