Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First trip this week

We are taking our first trip with our Jayco travel trailer this week. We are spending four days at Live Oak Landing RV park on the Choctawhatchee Bay.

We have never done any RVing so we are staying close to home and going with two other couples who are experienced. The campground looks pretty nice and is close to a lot of places to check out like Destin and Seaside.

For the last month since we bought the TT I have been studying Youtube videos and buying all the equipment that I believe we will need. I am told that I still need to buy one more thing: a small dog to walk around the RV park every morning with all the other old guys. Don't think that's going to happen.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

I'm trying to get rid of the dog we got,so I can get an rv. I'm not getting an rv right now just because my wife will have our dog in there messing it up the way he has messed up our house. I love him but I hate him at the same time. I've been in the market for an rv for a long time.

Buy a 10' longer sewer hose than you think you'll need, or at least a 10' extension piece. In FL you'll need a doughnut for your sewer connection at the park, state law if I remember right. Get a milk crate and put some odd pieces of 2x4's and 4x4's in it. You'd be surprised at how handy they can be for your landing legs, scotching, etc. Take two water hoses. Every once in a while you need the reach or a hose may break. As you go, you'll learn what you need to keep more of or less of. Otherwise, camping is a blast. Don't sweat the small stuff and have fun! Good call on leaving the dog off the list of must haves. Just something else to have to worry about when you're away from the camper.

4. Member
    Good luck and have fun, Olebiker!! Waiting for a call from my dealer that my Northstar Laredo SC (truck camper) is ready for pickup. Retired two years ago and have done a ton of research (read as too much - lol) and ready to go. Wife will retire next year and we'll be exploring this beautiful country of ours. Nope, not going full time, just running hither and yon.

Quote Originally Posted by bassn5150 View Post
    Buy a 10' longer sewer hose than you think you'll need, or at least a 10' extension piece. In FL you'll need a doughnut for your sewer connection at the park, state law if I remember right. Get a milk crate and put some odd pieces of 2x4's and 4x4's in it. You'd be surprised at how handy they can be for your landing legs, scotching, etc. Take two water hoses. Every once in a while you need the reach or a hose may break. As you go, you'll learn what you need to keep more of or less of. Otherwise, camping is a blast. Don't sweat the small stuff and have fun! Good call on leaving the dog off the list of must haves. Just something else to have to worry about when you're away from the camper.
    I have 25 feet of sewer hose. If I find I need more we will be close enough to a lot of resources to get more.

I'm not sure I am familiar with a doughnut. This is what I have to fit into the sewer:

The best thing about all of this is that it is my wife's idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B000BQQWKA

The fitting in the pic fits inside the doughnut at the park hookup. Of the places we’ve camped, FL was the only to make using a donut a state law. We last camped in FL in Santa Rosa Beach at Topsail Hill. I figured if it’s a law, I’d play by their rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bassn5150 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B000BQQWKA

The fitting in the pic fits inside the doughnut at the park hookup. Of the places we’ve camped, FL was the only to make using a donut a state law. We last camped in FL in Santa Rosa Beach at Topsail Hill. I figured if it’s a law, I’d play by their rules.
    Made the trip to Camping World and got the doughnut. Thanks for the heads up.

��

Good deal!

10. Banned

Thumbs Up

Y'all have fun

11. Banned
    There's one park we go to that we are the only dogless people there.

The park is really nice. I wish I had brought a kayak and a couple of rods. The trailer is working just fine(so far).

We got back from our trip yesterday afternoon. What a great success. The only thing I didn't have was a cable television cable. A quick trip to WalMart solved that. I was even able to assist one of our friends who did not have a long enough sewer hose. I had a 20 foot and a ten foot one so I was able to lend him one of mine.

We stayed at Live Oak Landing which is close to Destin, Florida.

The campground was just perfect for a couple of newbies like us. It had full hookups including sewer, water (did not taste good), 30 and 50 amp electric, and cable TV. (Roughing it isn't what it used to be.) We had a back-in site, but it was at an angle to the road so it was easy to get in. My bass boat backing experience paid off.

In spite of the fact that our site was nicely shaded, the July Florida heat made spending too much time outdoors a pretty sweaty affair.

We spent the trip learning how to live together in the small space, but the efficient layout of our trailer (I can't bring myself to call it a camper) made it pretty painless. We learned how to use everything on the trailer with the assistance of some folks on the Jayco owners forum on the web.

The campground is on Black Creek which flows into the Choctawhatchee Bay very near the campground. I wish I had brought a kayak and a couple of rods. One of my favorite parts of the trip was going out in the morning with a cup of coffee and just talking to the other folks parked around us.

Now we have to start planning the next trip. I can't wait. We plan to hit a lot of the Florida state parks this Fall and Winter.

14. Member
    Sounds great!!

15. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Congrats on surviving the initial venture!!!!!

I think I would be doing my friend a solid and loaning that sewer hose permanently.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I think I would be doing my friend a solid and loaning that sewer hose permanently.....
    Right!?

Sound like a great adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Congrats on surviving the initial venture!!!!!

He went to Walmart and got one of his own before he used mine, so I got it back in pristine condition.

19. Member
    Have fun and enjoy the experience to the fullest!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    We got back from our trip yesterday afternoon. What a great success. The only thing I didn't have was a cable television cable. A quick trip to WalMart solved that. I was even able to assist one of our friends who did not have a long enough sewer hose. I had a 20 foot and a ten foot one so I was able to lend him one of mine.

We stayed at Live Oak Landing which is close to Destin, Florida.

The campground was just perfect for a couple of newbies like us. It had full hookups including sewer, water (did not taste good), 30 and 50 amp electric, and cable TV. (Roughing it isn't what it used to be.) We had a back-in site, but it was at an angle to the road so it was easy to get in. My bass boat backing experience paid off.

In spite of the fact that our site was nicely shaded, the July Florida heat made spending too much time outdoors a pretty sweaty affair.

We spent the trip learning how to live together in the small space, but the efficient layout of our trailer (I can't bring myself to call it a camper) made it pretty painless. We learned how to use everything on the trailer with the assistance of some folks on the Jayco owners forum on the web.

The campground is on Black Creek which flows into the Choctawhatchee Bay very near the campground. I wish I had brought a kayak and a couple of rods. One of my favorite parts of the trip was going out in the morning with a cup of coffee and just talking to the other folks parked around us.

Now we have to start planning the next trip. I can't wait. We plan to hit a lot of the Florida state parks this Fall and Winter.
    We buy the 2.5 gallon water jugs with the spout for drinking water. We have a filter on our water hose for camp water. I still don't like drinking the water from the camp source. We use the camp water for showering and dishes and sometimes cooking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast