Engine just stopped

Hey guys, I have a new 4 stroke V8 250 pro Xs (2B531611) and it just shut off while under power. I was just trolling away from the dock. It appears to be elite tribal, as the Merc monitor won’t come back on. All other functions work in the boat (2018 Ranger z521). Switch is on. Graphs, trim, etc. work just fine. Ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt

Check for loose cables at the battery. Largest on first then on uo to smallest at the top.

Is this a repower?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. I’m going to check the cables now. Not a repower. Boat and motor are new as of 2 weeks ago.

If the trim works, the connections to the battery and DTS harness should be ok (Which means the ECM has power). I'd check out the start panel connections where the engine harness connects to. Could be a lot of things

5. Member
    I would check the fuses on the motor and the fuse in the Clean Power connection at the battery.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    I would check the fuses on the motor and the fuse in the Clean Power connection at the battery.
    If a fuse on the engine is popping, something is wrong & you need to take it to a dealer. If the 5A on the clean power was popped, he wouldn't have trim

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    If the 5A on the clean power was popped, he wouldn't have trim
    Good to know.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

When you say it shut off did it lose fire or did it lose fuel or did it lose power ? Don't know if it has anything to do with it or not but the new V8 do require a 1000 cca AGM battery are u running one of those batteries? Keep us in touch what goes on I have a 200 V8 so would like to know what they find just in case mine ever does the same thing.

9. Member
    It appears to have lost power. I’m running a 1000 Cca AGM battery, so all appears in order from that perspective. Taking it to the dealer on Thursday morning. I’ll report back.

10. Member
    Hey Guys,
    The issue was in the wirin harness. When the guys at Ranger we’re riggig the engine, I think something happened when they were pulling the lines/cables thru that creating a sporadic disconnection. Dealer fixed it...no problem whatsoever.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by HTC33 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    The issue was in the wirin harness. When the guys at Ranger we’re riggig the engine, I think something happened when they were pulling the lines/cables thru that creating a sporadic disconnection. Dealer fixed it...no problem whatsoever.

Matt
    That's good news

Quote Originally Posted by HTC33 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Matt
    Had a feeling that's what it was. Glad that they resolved it quickly!

13. mikesxpress
    Sporadic disconnection?
    What exactly caused that?

14. mikesxpress
    Ranger connects the 14 pin harness from the boat to the engine when they rig it. If it's not connected properly they should experience issues when it's test run?

15. Member
    Ranger does not test run the boats, thats the dealer responsibility. I can see where the harness is plugged in and not latched completely coming loose sometime later with normal vibration.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Ranger connects the 14 pin harness from the boat to the engine when they rig it. If it's not connected properly they should experience issues when it's test run?
    Not necessarily- I've seen engines out in the field for 6+ months with a loose 14 pin connector (just wasn't locked fully). Simple solution to a "drive the customer nuts" problem!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor