Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally got a ride in a 721

Big thanks to rammerjammer for getting me out on Hartwell in some slop in his 721 yesterday. What a ride! We were cruising 55mph in some sloppy water comfortable that would have beat me up at that speed in my PII. He actually ran it up to 70 real quick which would have been flat out unsafe in my boat. Don't get me wrong, I love my PII, but the 721 with its extra 2 foot and hull design is a rough water monster!!!

Very impressed with the ride of the 721, def considering trading up to one later this year. He also let me drop the TM and get a few minutes on the bow and it felt great there too. Storage looks awesome, fit and finish were top notch, and his co-angler had 6 or so rods on the pass rod ramp and it still wasn't cluttered. Very impressed over-all with the Bird!

Question for anyone who has ridden in both, how does the 21 PHX ride compare to the 721? Same, better, worse? I know it will be a few mph slower than a 721 but the extra deck width might be worth it IF the ride is as good...
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

2. Member
    The 21 PHX would be the ultimate rough water boat. They weren’t made to be comparable. You pay for the difference. Both awesome rigs.
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    I can tell you coming from an R that the PHX is miles better. Never rode in a newer cat.

4. Member
    I was set on a 721 then met Howard with McCallister Marine with a 721 & a 21PHX. The 721 was fast but really had to drive it ! Got in the 21PHX and was so impressed that went back to his office and ordered that day with the new Merc 250 that will be here in about 4 weeks. Sure glad I took the time to drive both.

5. Member
    The 21 phx makes the 721 seem like it rides just ok.

Both great rides but I agree with others above - the PHX was designed to be Phoenix's best big water boat, and it is very easy to drive.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

7. Member
    Just to chime in here. The 721 is no slouch! Also drivesbility is negligible in a proper setup boat. Anything that goes over 75 you have to drive I don’t care what anyone says.

Think of it this way. The 721 is going to be just a tad more sharp on re entry because the hull is a shallower V. It’s also lighter and faster.
    The 921 is a few inches longer and wider with a deeper V. It’s a little slower due to weight and hull design. Hence the ease to drive, when compared to a TR21x, 721, 920, etc.

at the end of the day they are both fantastic boats and you can’t go wrong!

ps

i broke my back on deployment in 2009 and have a fused lumbar spine. I’ve ran my boat in some gnarly water and my boat doesn’t bother me. My dad runs a different brand and it beats the hell out of me. Just my .02. He is now considering selling his boat for a bird now that we run tourneys in mine.....
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP / Mercury 250 ProXS

I think he'll be ok driving a boat.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    J Risco Likes to go Fast
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Just get a Verado, have it flashed to like 325hp and have no problems in the low to mid 80s if you want some extra speed. Im sure the new Mercs will be able to be flashed too...just have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    I think he'll be ok driving a boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    J Risco Likes to go Fast
    Thanks fellas, and yeah if you don't have to drive it it's not going fast enough

Plan is to hang my current engine on one
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

12. Member
    21 PHX will run in 4 footers at WOT with ease where the 721 can't. 21 PHX much slower but way wider. Really depends on what you need.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitout View Post
    21 PHX will run in 4 footers at WOT with ease where the 721 can't. 21 PHX much slower but way wider. Really depends on what you need.
    Calling bull on this as a owner of a 721
    I don’t live in TX anymore but I have been in 4-5 footers on Ray Roberts and Texoma at WOT. Is it a bit of a smack? Yes but it’s not undoable.
    Ok maybe not WOT for my boat but same speed as WOT on a 921. 72-75 no problem in those conditions if you know your rig. It also depends highly on how your gear is arranged. 1lb in the bow is equivalent to 5 in the stern.

also to all the just flash the motor guys, no offense but it is illegal in most tourneys, at least the ones I fish. If speed really is that important go for it. But if you win your gonna get polygraphed.

my .02
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP / Mercury 250 ProXS

14. Member
    2-3 footers were brutal on st clair last year in my 721; we left day early as 4-5 footers were forecast. I’m being serious -not talking smack - but I’d really like to see either boat wot in 4-5 — could be I don’t know how to drive

15. Member
    I would add it outperformed my buddies brand new skeeter— it cracked the top cap loose and he got new boat upon return from trip

That's nothing new for a skeeter. I broke a top cap loose in 6 inchers... they did build me a new boat though.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    2-3 footers were brutal on st clair last year in my 721; we left day early as 4-5 footers were forecast. I’m being serious -not talking smack - but I’d really like to see either boat wot in 4-5 — could be I don’t know how to drive
    keep in mine 4-5 footers depends on how everyone measures them and how far apart they are. I do not believe anyone is running a bass boat in 4-5 footers in rollers. I have run WOT in those ways on Fork but a storm blew in with 60MPH winds and the waves were deep but real close together. A legend was trying to run the waves were still to far apart for him.

18. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I have a 921xp...2-3 footers 40-50 mph...4-5 footers 30-35 mph.
    Went out on Erie one time when there was 4-5' waves and small craft advisory out. We stayed in harbors to fish, but had to get to them. Was able to do 30-37 mph and I was very skeert! Never again.
    Went out next day in 2-3, waves and cruised pretty easy, topping out at 50 mph for a bit (could maybe have gone faster), but slowed to 40 or so. No need to try for wot unless there's an emergency.
    Yes, we did get slammed around some in my 921xp, but it was tolerable. Would like to see the difference of being in a PHX. I thought PHX hull was the same as XP except for rear strakes coming back further, and gunnel being deeper. I didn't think it was a deeper V in hull.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    I have a 921xp...2-3 footers 40-50 mph...4-5 footers 30-35 mph.
    Went out on Erie one time when there was 4-5' waves and small craft advisory out. We stayed in harbors to fish, but had to get to them. Was able to do 30-37 mph and I was very skeert! Never again.
    Went out next day in 2-3, waves and cruised pretty easy, topping out at 50 mph for a bit (could maybe have gone faster), but slowed to 40 or so. No need to try for wot unless there's an emergency.
    Yes, we did get slammed around some in my 921xp, but it was tolerable. Would like to see the difference of being in a PHX. I thought PHX hull was the same as XP except for rear strakes coming back further, and gunnel being deeper. I didn't think it was a deeper V in hull.
    I think the V goes further back in the PHX than on the XP. At least that is my understanding.

20. Member
    Could be that you are just a bit more realistic though. Not trying to stir the pot, but there isn't a bass boat made that's running 70+ in true 4-5' waves. Not for more than 50 yards anyway- it'd be in pieces or more likely in the bottom of the lake. Like I said earlier, both boats are great rigs, but it's just physics that the 21 PHX is going to be a better ride in nasty waves.
    2014 920/SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast