Oil in lower cowl 2012 250 pro XS

Hey Gang,

While fishing recently I noticed a bit of an oil slick when I launched my boat 2012 pro xs serial #1B823870 when I took the boat out and looked under the cowl I noticed oil in the lower cowl what are the common causes for this? It doesn’t appear to be coming from the side mounted reserve tank which is “dry” and shows now signs of oil residue.

I removed the lower cowl and cleaned everything while I was changing spark plugs I ran it in the driveway with muffs didn’t see any obvious signs of leaking I assume it may be pressure related and is happening at WOT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Mike

2. Member
    Check:
    oil pump
    oil lines
    reserve tank
    oil seals on the compressor

3. Member
    [QUOTE=laps19;9471706]Hey Gang,

While fishing recently I noticed a bit of an oil slick when I launched my boat 2012 pro xs serial #1B823870 when I took the boat out and looked under the cowl I noticed oil in the lower cowl what are the common causes for this? It doesn’t appear to be coming from the side mounted reserve tank which is “dry” and shows now signs of oil residue.

I removed the lower cowl and cleaned everything while I was changing spark plugs I ran it in the driveway with muffs didn’t see any obvious signs of leaking I assume it may be pressure related and is happening at WOT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Mike

Had same issue on my 225 proxs it was the oil pump mine was pretty obvious though oil was dripping
    off the bottom of it mechanic replaced it in about 20
    minutes
    [/QUO
    Bassman1987

4. Member
    the lid on the reserve oil tank is crap, I replaced one under warranty and just had to pay for another. the lid won't tighten, see if it pops and gets loose.

5. Member
    Thanks Savage and others for the replies! I ran it today I will check it again.

Thanks,

mike

6. Member
    My oil pump had been leaking for roughly a year. I checked it a month ago and it was leaking even more and so I finally replaced it. It is not too easy to replace. Surprised to hear it took only 20 minutes. It is a very tight space to work in and you will need small hose zip ties for each hose that runs into it. take your time and you can do it yourself. You will need to prime the new oil pump after installation. I have a tool for this but if you dont, you will need to take it into a shop that can do it for you.

7. Member
    What tool did you purchase to do a "oil pump prime sequence "?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    YES.... inquiring minds want to know!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

10. Member
    II have a 200 pro xs and now have a small oil leak also . What doe's a new oil pump usually run? My engine ser number is 1B865945 and it's a 2012. Thanks for your help here.

11. Member
    I have a thread about a similar problem that just started. I have a 2013 225 pro xs also. Is it possible for the oil to leak somewhere in the bottom of the lower cowl and eventually seep out where the lower unit bolts up? Or would it basically pool up n the lower cowl?
    Last edited by Toads; 07-15-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    I have a thread about a similar problem that just started. I have a 2013 225 pro xs also. Is it possible for the oil to leak somewhere in the bottom of the lower cowl and eventually seep out where the lower unit bolts up? Or would it basically pool up n the lower cowl?
    Yes sir it did on mine..

13. Member
    Mie also seeps in the lower cowl. It's just started about a month ago and the mechanic said I could still use it for a little while until it really seeps or blow's. Talked to a guy at the ramp thursday and he said his had been leaking for a year and a half and all he did was kept the oil full. I tightened a one bolt that was real loose and trying to figure away to see if I need to tighten the other bolts but it's so cramped in there so haven't touched them. If I could figure out how to get in there I would but just don't want to screw it up.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by larry crouch View Post
    Mie also seeps in the lower cowl. It's just started about a month ago and the mechanic said I could still use it for a little while until it really seeps or blow's. Talked to a guy at the ramp thursday and he said his had been leaking for a year and a half and all he did was kept the oil full. I tightened a one bolt that was real loose and trying to figure away to see if I need to tighten the other bolts but it's so cramped in there so haven't touched them. If I could figure out how to get in there I would but just don't want to screw it up.
    You have to take the cowling off to tighten those screws. It may help for awhile as it did with mine. One year later I am seeping pretty bad so I changed it last month. It is tedious and time consuming. Somebody said it took 20 minutes. I took my time and was very careful about it and it took about an hour and half. You will have to prime the oil after. The leak is from a flattened O-ring. Poor design. But on the other hand mine lasted 450 hours.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Techmate Pro

http://www.rinda.com/techmatepro/