Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question for pool owners

Two questions for people with pools.....

Do you regret ever getting one? Wife wants an inground pool, which is what our HOA requires which will probably run 40-50K. I don’t want one as I’ve had one before, but she is dead set on getting one.

Second question..Do you have a lot of people asking if they can have their kids bday party, Work party, neighbors wanting to swim even if you are gone, etc.

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    1. nope, we are in it almost every evening
    2. nope, although my daughter and her family are over a lot lol!!
    it is an above ground but gets the job done,, great for cooling off on hot days..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

If it were up to me, I'd fill-in our in-ground pool or stock it with bass. It's a PITA in terms of getting and keeping the water in balance. If I had to do it over, I'd get an above ground. That way, if we got tired of it, we could sell it. At first, we had some friends of the grandkids come with them to swim. But, not for a long time now. For anyone else, it's by invitation only and we don't hand out invitations. I can't imagine a neighbor or coworker so bold as to ask if they can come swim in our pool.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Banned
    We have a above ground that I take down each winter. Daughter loves it.

5. Joe4d
    dont get a pool unless you have in your budget a service to come buy and maintain it once a week.
    My Grand dad had a pool, my dad had a pool,, was lots of fun for all the kids.. One thing I remember ? they almost never used it as they spent all weekend every weekend working on the dang thing.

6. Member
    NO! NO! NO!

You have had a pool before, so you know all the work needed to maintain it. If you and family will get lot of use out of it, it is worth the work involved. Your wife is dead set on having a pool? Post a few pictures of your new pool!!!

8. Member
    If I could, I'd dig my pool up and give it to your wife. It's pebble tech, too.

9. Joe4d
    yeh,, tell wife she gets to do all the work to maintain it,,, pools suck, build a deck with a grill,

I had an above ground pool also up here in New England. It was easy maintaining it, winterizing and reopening it. We used it a lot. Had it for 13 yrs. As for an inground pool, up here they are a PITA because of the winters. Having the pipes and lines in the ground, settling of the earth, and any other problems that could arise makes it a chore. A lot of people fill in their inground when they can no longer use it.

What I'm wondering is where you got a $40k- $50k price tag? Maybe because of where you live but up here it would be half of that.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

11. Member
    1. Lots of regret. Time with upkeep is very disproportionate with time used.

2. Never had a friend ask to ‘borrow’ it

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    1. Lots of regret. Time with upkeep is very disproportionate with time used.

2. Never had a friend ask to ‘borrow’ it
    This

If I could afford a pool service to take care of it during the season it would be great.
    Also, don’t fall for the wife and kids promising to take care of. That lasts about a week or 2 and if you try and wait them out it only costs you more in chemicals to get the pool clean again.

13. Member
    We had a pool for years. Kids got grown moved away. Wife & I didn't use much at all. So 1 day I filled it in. NO REGRETS .
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

14. Member
    Rather take an a$$whupping than personally own a pool.
    Hot tubs are another question. They aren’t terrible.
    Spas are still work, but on a smaller scale to be certain.
    Less expensive, more used, great benefits, etc.

15. Banned
    Used it s bunch when kids were young, not much now. Don’t really regret it but if I could have my money back I’d take it!

not sure about all the people talking about a bunch of maintenance and time we spend very little?

had only a couple others parties and a few use it when we were gone, not much.

16. Member
    YES to all your questions I wish i could give you mine,Have had it 20 years this is the second time it needs to be redone almost 6500 bucks.

17. Member
    We have an in ground pool with intergrated spa. It gets used a lot by our grandkids which is great. It’s expensive though. The pool heater and filter are being replaced this week.....$5 k. My monthly maintenance cost is about $350. Then the added electricity to run it 12 hours/day (salt pool so it needs to run to generate the chlorine).

18. Past Tournament Basser bassRN's Avatar
    In ground pool and love it! Down here in South Florida it is great to fall into after a day of fishing or a day of yardwork. No one asks to use the pool as all but one house on our cul-de-sac has one. Upkeep is really not bad, having our pools screened in really helps with that aspect.
    JEFF SCHMIDT - NORTH PORT, FL
    '13 RANGER Z518 COMANCHE / '13 MERCURY PRO XS 200

I had one at my last house and even though I didn't use all that much I did like having it. I had a robotic sweeper so all I had to do was throw it in the pool and walk away. I also converted it to salt water and really liked that. Those two things made it easy to maintain it.

---------------------------------------
    2011 Skeeter ZX200 w/SHO 200.

Take the 50k and make a down payment on a lake house. You can swim anytime you want and don't have to use chemicals or vacuum plus the sun rise\set view is much better.
    2016 RT 188

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast