Thread: F250

Question F250

I really wanting to purchase a new F250 diesel for toeing boat and a few other things. I've never had a 250 nor a diesel.

Someone give me the pros and cons on going to this rig. I'm going to start pulling to different states a few times a year and wanted something a little more than the current f150 gaser that I have now.

I have put the pencil to it a few times --IMO unless your pulling something larger than the average bass boat.. From a financial standpoint I can't justify the added initial cost and regular maintenance cost of a diesel rig to be used as an everyday driver. not to mention the added cost of diesel fuel per gallon.
    I do have a Ram diesel used to feed cattle and pull the big trailers with.. And one of my partners has the F-250.. It is a great truck- just overkill IMO unless your pulling heavy.
    But if you want it -- get it !! We only live once.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A 250 is overkill with a bass boat, and so is a diesel. The unloaded ride of the 250 is not nearly as comfortable as a 150 and you pay the $8000 price for going to a Diesel and the ~$5100 price for going to a 250.

An F150 with the max tow package and a 3.5 Ecoboost is a towing machine and will even handle a 5th wheel.

My experience is that somewhere around 7000 or 8000 pound trailer weight you start to feel the difference in handling between the two.

A 250 is a nice truck, but my 2 cents is not to get one unless you need one.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I would never tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck
    The newer 3/4 ton trucks ride great, Mine rides better than any 1/2 ton ive had.
    If you want a real truck get the 250 or a 2500

5. Joe4d
    I routinely tow 7000 lbs, I am a marine diesel engineer. Wouldnt touch a modern diesel unless you were getting up around 10,000. Just isnt worth it. Way more expensive to buy maintain and fuel. Reliability blows as well. Emmission rules have basically killed what made diesels great. They dont get the great mileage and run forever like they did 15 years ago.
    You could consider what I did. A 3/4 ton gas truck. It doesnt get the mileage of the diesel, but it does it with 87 octane $1 cheaper gasoline, so fuel wise its a wash.
    Tows my 7lb loaded weight horse trailer just fine, got the heavier axles, brakes suspensions,, plenty of power yada yadda, 10k cheaper than diesel, mature reliable engine design, cheaper easier maintenance.
    IMO as far as tow rigs, based on economics
    0-5000 lbs, properly equipped 1/2 ton (there are some that cant tow squat based on engine and rear end)
    5000-10000 gas 3/4
    10000- 15000 diesel 3/4 or 1 ton SRW.
    15000 + dually 1 ton diesel.
    Bigger is always better when it comes to towing, but assuming your bass rig is in the 4000lb area you dont really NEED a diesel,, however we probably dont really NEED 4000lb bass boats.. LOL,, They are fun though,, just like a big diesel.

6. Member
    Thanks for the comments and keep them coming. I agree I'm not sure it's justifiable but I've always kinda wanted one.... I've got another option so it wouldn't have to be my daily drive as I've got my father's Lincoln that I can also drive since I kept it when he passed away 1o years ago. I really need to drive it more often.

I don't really need that Z520 I'm going to pull with it either but I like it a lot too. I'm wanting to start taking some longer out of state trips and wanted something that would make these trips easier and comfortable ..... thanks for the comments

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    I would never tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck
    The newer 3/4 ton trucks ride great, Mine rides better than any 1/2 ton ive had.
    If you want a real truck get the 250 or a 2500
    Some have higher payload and tow ratings than some 3/4 tons.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I have put the pencil to it a few times --IMO unless your pulling something larger than the average bass boat.. From a financial standpoint I can't justify the added initial cost and regular maintenance cost of a diesel rig to be used as an everyday driver. not to mention the added cost of diesel fuel per gallon.
    I do have a Ram diesel used to feed cattle and pull the big trailers with.. And one of my partners has the F-250.. It is a great truck- just overkill IMO unless your pulling heavy.
    But if you want it -- get it !! We only live once.
    Well said!

Years ago when insurance was cheap and I always had 4 or 5 different vehicles and one was always a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Every once and a while I would max them out loaded. Then insurance rates increased (I've never made a claim) and got tired of insuring all vehicles that sit. So I sold everything little by little to decrease the insurance company profits. Got me a good large wheeled 7'X10' trailer and use a 4Runner to tow it. Can pickup about anything I need and tows my 206 Champion very well @ 75 MPH and it gets decent fuel mileage.

250 or 350 Nice truck it would be nice but with my trailer it will haul what I need. On the second Runner since 05 thinking about going to a Sequoia but will probably stay with a Runner unless they really screw it up.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Diesel trucks are great at this point the package deal between suspension, transmission and engine blow the trucks of 15 years ago out of the water. This is especially true when you can reprogram the ecm and delete some of the emissions.

Someone said diesel is 1$ more than gas? How!? Also I'm pretty sure if your pulling a little bass boat with a ecoboost you probably are supposed to use premium. I know ram's with hemi's state that you use premium when towing (and it was worth it because it didn't knock/ping and got better mileage)

cummins has a 15k oil/fuel filter lifespan, so costing just over twice as much but half as often saves me wasted time and is damn near a wash on actual cost. Parts cost more after warranty but they are better built than gas parts and less likely to fail.

All I got to say since your this curious and kinda want one just get it if you treat it well it will be super easy to trade in/ sell. Find out for yourself how great pulling a little bass boat on the interstate is, I have a 2016 Cummins and it just puts along at 80 into a stiff headwind up a hill and doesn't slow down, shift or huff , it's great. I know gas can't do that cause I would be at 4ooorpm with the same conditions and that's abusive.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

My Runner pulls my 206 on 87 fuel without an issue. Towed my father in-laws ranger back from the big O through the mountains passing more than I was being passed on 87. Whole trip cost us 1 extra tank than we would if we didn't have the boat. Yes it was working but I didn't over work it. I can monitor all critical motor and transmission functions and the only change was about a 10% increase in transmission temps when pulling in the mountains but they were still well below 200.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

11. Member
    Unless you really need the diesel, they aren't worth it. They are an expensive emissions mess in my opinion and I have had them.

Quote Originally Posted by rtinplnc View Post
    Thanks for the comments and keep them coming. I agree I'm not sure it's justifiable but I've always kinda wanted one.... I've got another option so it wouldn't have to be my daily drive as I've got my father's Lincoln that I can also drive since I kept it when he passed away 1o years ago. I really need to drive it more often.

I don't really need that Z520 I'm going to pull with it either but I like it a lot too. I'm wanting to start taking some longer out of state trips and wanted something that would make these trips easier and comfortable ..... thanks for the comments
    You’ve pretty much netted it out here. I don’t care how far or how much you are pulling a bassboat, a 3/4 is not necessary. You’re right, its not justifiable in those terms. But you said you wanted one. So go buy it. Assuming you can afford it. You don’t have to make up a scenario to claim you “need” a bigger truck.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Member
    Buy it. Plain and simple the guys who say it’s overkill haven’t drove one. The comfort and stability compared to a 150 series has motor is unreal. I can drive further on tank. Maintain traffic on mountains, and stop on a dime. Oh and I get 22mpg empty and 16.5 towing. Positives far outweigh the negatives to me. I’ll never buy gas again

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    Buy it. Plain and simple the guys who say it’s overkill haven’t drove one. The comfort and stability compared to a 150 series has motor is unreal. I can drive further on tank. Maintain traffic on mountains, and stop on a dime. Oh and I get 22mpg empty and 16.5 towing. Positives far outweigh the negatives to me. I’ll never buy gas again
    Some of us own both.

15. Member
    I have both and we have 4 new f250 gassers at the shop. I have towed more in the last month than in a year before as we have been clearing a lot in the up. 300 mile round trip. Up to 2 times a day. The 1/2 tons are cc 6.5' box trucks 1 with a 5.0 and the other the 3.5 EB. When the loads get above 8k the gas trucks will drink fuel at expressway speeds and they are working hard. But get the job done. Stability goes to the f250 hands down with the heavy loads. My trailer and equipment is 16k plus and it pulls it at 80mph in overdrive. Roughly 10-11 mpg at that speed. The gas truck is about 6-7 with 9k behind it. Admittedly we are working these trucks way harder than most but it gives you a idea of what they are capable of. We just towed a 13k trailer to PA and got 5 mpg with the new f250 gas truck. But empty they get 15mpg. The diesels are roughly 5 mpg better. The new 6.7 have been very good in the oilfields. IMHO if you are towing a lot and heavy the diesel is the way to go. Anything under 8k I always use the 1/2 ton. Can't beat the ride and comfort. A bass boat is NOT a heavy load for any modern 1/2 ton. I am fortunate enough to be able to use both trucks as needed. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

16. Member
    Ecoboost 3.5 with 3.55 gears does everything a diesel will do when towing less than 8k. I get about 13-14 mpg towing a 21' loaded skeeter and power is very diesel like with the ecoboost. I have had the 6.6 dmax and 6.7 p stroke and dont miss them one bit. Diesels dont get the MPG's they used to once get either. I averaged about the same mileage as I do now when I had them. I would only suggest the diesel if you plan on towing more than 8k on a regular basis.

17. Member
    I got a 17 F250 XLT Powerstroke and haven't regretted it one bit. I was able to get it new for about the same price as a gas model about a year ago. Is the fuel and maintenance more expensive, a little but not worth loosing sleep over it. Diesel around here is less than premium gas, oil change 2-3 times a year, fuel filters once a year. Knowing I can pass and STOP better than in my old half ton is priceless. The cabs in the newer fords is awesome. Tons of space. I put a ARE topper on it with a slide out cargo handler and I love the set up. Transmission doesn't get warm at all going through the mountains / hills. I get about 17 mpg towing like its my job.
    Can my wifes 2.7 Ecoboost F150 pull my boat, yep. But we both would rather haul the boat with our F250.

Johnny
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team